Thread: Droitwich - Barge Canal & Junction Canal

Smile Droitwich - Barge Canal & Junction Canal

Just putting this on the system in case anyone wants to ask???

Barge Canal: One of the Oldest canal's in the UK. Droitwich to the River Severn, originally built for sailing barges (Trows). Has water in it from Droitwich to Ladywood. About 4 miles of lock free paddling. It is shallow, slightly salty and in places quite choked with weed. From Ladywood to the River Severn there is a tow path which is suitable for a strong trolley but no water. It is easy to transfer to the River Salwarpe just west of Mildenham Mill. Work should be continuing on this canal through 2009. Complete opening by 2010 - Dreams...

Junction Canal: One of the newest canal's in the UK. It will join the Worcester - Birmingham Canal at Hanbury with Droitwich. Because of lack of use a new line is being made for part of the route and this will involve part of the River Salwarpe. There is a new culvert under the M5 Motorway in place. Only in water for the first three locks at Hanbury Wharf (which I paddled two weeks ago much to the annoyance of the Health & Safety people). No tow path yet. This canal is being rebuilt as I type (Oct 2008) and should be ready sometime in 2009???

It is an easy 1 mile walk along the main road (with suitable footpath) for a trolley and canoe into Droitwich Basin from Hanbury Wharf

This will be the subject of a Blogg with some photos one day when I get around to writing it...

Default Droitwich canal

Over the past few months there has been major road works on the A449 north of worcester. They are in the process of re linking the canal to the river severn. Its not open yet, and it looks like there is still a lot to do.

Talking Thanks...

I am watching this one with great interest as I am keen to paddle through before BW declare it un-safe. Having said that - surely the portage with a 15' boat across a busy dual carriageway is going to be a little more risky...

About 80% of the locks are done now and several stretches have been drained before the dredging starts.

Watch this space...

Default Droitwich salt canal

Hi, last week I took a group of 4 novice paddlers from the new canoe access point behind the leisure centre, up to Ladywood lock and then returned past the starting point into Vines park. The trip out was fine with no problems,pleasant scenery and good water quality. However the Vines park section is full of rubbish and very unsanitary,I would not venture into the lock cutting, until they get the link opened to get some flow into the canal (which is effectively stagnant water) I would suggest some caution. 3 of the party have had the trots during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Thysville View Post
    Just putting this on the system in case anyone wants to ask???

Barge Canal: One of the Oldest canal's in the UK. Droitwich to the River Severn, originally built for sailing barges (Trows). Has water in it from Droitwich to Ladywood. About 4 miles of lock free paddling. It is shallow, slightly salty and in places quite choked with weed. From Ladywood to the River Severn there is a tow path which is suitable for a strong trolley but no water. It is easy to transfer to the River Salwarpe just west of Mildenham Mill. Work should be continuing on this canal through 2009. Complete opening by 2010 - Dreams...

Junction Canal: One of the newest canal's in the UK. It will join the Worcester - Birmingham Canal at Hanbury with Droitwich. Because of lack of use a new line is being made for part of the route and this will involve part of the River Salwarpe. There is a new culvert under the M5 Motorway in place. Only in water for the first three locks at Hanbury Wharf (which I paddled two weeks ago much to the annoyance of the Health & Safety people). No tow path yet. This canal is being rebuilt as I type (Oct 2008) and should be ready sometime in 2009???

It is an easy 1 mile walk along the main road (with suitable footpath) for a trolley and canoe into Droitwich Basin from Hanbury Wharf

This will be the subject of a Blogg with some photos one day when I get around to writing it...

Default I to have been watching

I've also been watching progress with the work as I am keen to paddle the stretch from the Severn as soon as it opens. I understand the new section under the A449 is now finished and in the process of being handed over by the contractors. At the other end (hanbury Junction it looks as though there is still a long way to go before it will be navigable. Definately a paddle for the future!

Default Next Spring

yes, they are getting on well and now the tunnel under the A449 is complete I guess they will get the rest finished on schedule. The section from Worc Birmingham canal into Droitwich is coming on well too. It will certainly make a lovely paddle once all is connected. For sure i'm looking forward to being able to get in the boat in Droitwich and then paddle into Worcester.
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Default Still some work yet...

I walked through the tunnel last week.

The road is nearly back to normal in that it has been surfaced but the roadworks on the northbound side are still there for lorry access.

Pictures when I get around to it - must go and get on the river now...

Default Junction Canal now nearly finished and in water!

Am due to get on with my packing tomorrow for my two weeks in the north. - Rannoch Moor to Perth and then the Symposium...

I therefore pushed off from work early this evening before I could be given anything else to do and rode my Yamaha over to Droitwich to see how things were coming along.

As far as I could tell there is now water in the canal all the way from the junction with the Worcester-Birmingham canal at the Eagle & Sun, Hanbury down through the M5 motorway and into Droitwich. The canal stops by the River Salwarpe and that has not yet had any work done on it that I could see to make it viable for boats larger than canoes.

I hope to try and run that section in the Trad boat in October. Will report on that when I do. Cheers,

Let me know when you plan to do this as we may be interested in exploring this too. Will be nice to have another local paddle. (Will be away doing WWS&R one weekend, so will depend upon dates.)
    Thank you.
    The woods would be silent if no bird sang except those that sing best.

Talking ok.

Will let you know. I suspect though it will not be so much a fun trip - just me wanting to bash my way through for the satisfaction of having done it.

There are several locks so lots of portaging and only a there and back trip!

would be interested in joining in too so long as you're happy.

Sounds good to me. I like to explore.
    The woods would be silent if no bird sang except those that sing best.

Red face Canal Re-Opening

Fascinating stuff - is it all part of a wider movement to re-instate canals in this area or nationally maybe?

I would like to do the whole circuit Droitwich canals, birmingham and worcester canal and river severn as a weekend trip camping somewhere around the loop.
    hopefully this spring. and would enjoy some company.

Paul

Default Still a lot of work to be done yet...

The site I had identified for a wild camp is not in good shape at the moment though there is a lovely spot for hammock camping. Of course one could always use the Official Campsite at Hawford. If that were the case then parking would be somewhere near the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury Wharf and start the trek from there travelling anti-clockwise so as to have the River Severn going in the right direction.

I went down the canal bank from Ladywood to Mildenham last week. Droitwich to Ladywood is in water and looks fairly clear.
    Ladywood to Porters Mill has had several large boats through but was out of water again for the excavators to work.

The dredger is working below Mildenham and there is still a lot of weed to cut.

There is no passage yet down to the tunnel.

I have not looked from the tunnel to the river though I know that the river lock (now correctly re-numbered as Number One) is in water and working.

I would think we may well get to run it all in the Spring though the planned opening of July looks a little doubtfull...

Default Droitwich canal

yes, it is all coming along and will make an interesting loop once open. I will try and take some pic's in the next week or so and post them here. It is all looking very promising
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Has anyone tried this route out yet?

Hi
    I was kicking my heels for something to do on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago and drove across to have a look at progress. Parked at the junction with the Birmingham and Worcester canal and walked down the Junction canal towards Droitwich. The new line connences just after the third lock, near to the access road to the Rugby Club (there's a car park here if you cannot park near to the Eagle and Sun) and runs of to the right of the old line. It looks different to any other canal I've seen in that the sides slope gently rather than there being a defined bank. just past the Rugby Clud there is a starcase of two new locks before the canal entrs the tunnel under the motorway. Here they have utilised the culvert that was built for the river Salwarpe when the motorway was built, amazingly with the insight all thse years ago (circa late 1950's)to be big enough to take a boat! After the motorway the new line runs back into the original canal where it enters a lock. Within mwtres of that lock there is nothing, no canal, just flat ground! from there to where the old canal reappears beyond the A38 road is aproximately a third of a mile. So still a short, but substantial, stretch of canal to be dug out, or created, before the ring is created. I would be suprised if this is completed within the next couple of years.

Thumbs up Just a couple of points...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
    Hi
    1. the canal entrs the tunnel under the motorway. Here they have utilised the culvert that was built for the river Salwarpe when the motorway was built, amazingly with the insight all thse years ago (circa late 1950's)to be big enough to take a boat!

2. After the motorway the new line runs back into the original canal where it enters a lock. Within mwtres of that lock there is nothing, no canal, just flat ground!

3. I would be suprised if this is completed within the next couple of years.
    1. No, the culvert was put in - agreed with some foresight but also an awful lot of badgering - when the M5 was widened from 2 lanes to 3. It was of course dry then and a lot of people thought the new Junction Canal would never happen but...

2. This flat ground is where the line of the canal will dramatically enter the River Salwarpe. The bridge will probably have to be replaced (unlesss someone knows different -I have not yet seen plans for it but I cannot see how even a standard narrow boat will get under without a lot of dredging) and the Junction canal will enter the town before locking back UP into the Droitwich Basin via the River Lock which is all ready renovated and ready to take it.

3. Don't hold your breath! But! It was all due to be ready for an official oppening this year but I have been told that there is a Land-Owner who is holding out for more money than was budgeted for... I can only assume that it is something to do with the new line. My latest News Magazine does not say. Certainly the handing over of all the maintenance to BW seems to have taken place and the Barge Canal should easily be finished this summer and have boats running on it.

There is still no sign under the A449 tunnel (as with the M5 one) banning unpowered craft but as I will always have my paddle with me I cannot see that any such sign will refer to my canoe!

Default River Severn to Droitwich

Although I have not paddled the sectiuon myself yet, some firneds of mine from Worcester Canoe Club have paddled the canal from the Severn up to Droitwich. Some portages round the locks. Took them 2.5 hours from Worcester Canoe club. I will be doing it the otherway soon