Thread: Aspen 4T the petrol / coleman fuel alternative

Journal Entries

Default Aspen 4T the petrol / coleman fuel alternative

I managed to get my hands on a couple of 5l packs of Aspen 4T today (http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-A...lkylate-petrol)

I got is from Burnside Garden machinery in Kilsyth (if you go there tell them the canoe guy sent you ). When I asked for the Aspen 4T they asked if it was for my camping stove as they had previously only stocked the 2T which is mixed with two stroke oil but the rep had said they should stock the 4T as campers used it in their stoves. It has sold quite well for them as I got the last two 5l tubs but they have some 1l tubs left.

I gave it a try tonight in my MSR Dragonfly and my Coleman Northstar. It worked great in both. The Northstar did seem to prime a bit better and the Dragonfly looked as if it was burning a little hotter. Certainly the flame looked cleaner if you can see such a thing.

Of course the real test will be how it goes in the long term but so far I am pretty pleased. Even if nothing else the fact it does not smell so bad is a big bonus. Plus from the blurb it seems the fumes should be less of an issue when using the Northstar in the tent.

Price wise I paid 11.22 plus VAT for each 5l so all in 26.37 for 10l which will do me for ages.

More dealers can be found on tis page http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-Stockists but I understand there is a bit of a push on right now to try and get the Aspen 4T stocked in the outdoor shops. this is why they have recently brought out the 1L bottles to compete with the coleman fuel.
    John

Now doing for dog owners what I inflicted on canoeists
    www.DogWalkBloggs.com

Default Aspen 4T the petrol / coleman fuel alternative

Thanks for the link John,now I know where to get some.

You've partly answered my question John, but which is the least smelly fuel that these stoves can run on effectively? I don't mind the smell of meths [particularly with ice and a slice of lemon], but the smell of petrol disgusts me. I've often considered one of these stoves for their efficiency, but it seems to defeat the object if I can't bear to use a decent fuel.

Mike
    " Never knowingly under equipped! "

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Thanks for the link John,now I know where to get some.
    Not from Kilsyth I am guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I don't mind the smell of meths [particularly with ice and a slice of lemon], but the smell of petrol disgusts me.
    I does not smell like petrol but it still has a slight smell, more than meths. The only thing I can suggest is getting a 1L bottle and seeing if you find if particularly smelly. even if you do not like it you can use it in your lawnmower or car, so it will not be wasted
    John

www.DogWalkBloggs.com

I too picked up 10l of Aspen 4T this week from Hurley Engine Services in Bath - will have to remove the oil residue (from the 2T) in the MSR first though.

Hurley were keen to hear about people turning to 4T - they were incredulous that the equivalent volume of Colemans (10l) would approximate 120! - they said that their garden mower customers resented paying 12 for 5l of Aspen which I can understand - but to me it's great value!

happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
    I too picked up 10l of Aspen 4T this week from Hurley Engine Services in Bath - will have to remove the oil residue (from the 2T) in the MSR first though.

happy days!
    Put clean fuel in the tank - and blow about 100mls through as a liquid - that should dissolve out the majority of any oil left behind....

I had the same cleaning job when the sprog put two stroke pre-mix in the 99.

Got 3x5Ls of 4T on order from Mitchells near Perth. The lady said thay had already supplied someone who wanted it for a stove (one of our lot or spiritburner.com perhaps ?)

No more Coleman fuel rip-offs !
    PWC

I like the sound of this! Thanks

Would you say it's any better than panel wipe or much the same?

I'm getting a great flame on my Nova with PW and it's reasonably clean, too. But if this was better ...

Mark

Journal Entries

I don't know if it is better or not as I have never used panel wipe. It certainly burns well and clean.

I was checking the pump in the kitchen and there was almost no smell while I worked on it and as soon as it was away there was no lingering smell.
    John

www.DogWalkBloggs.com

Ambleside Forest & Garden sell both Aspen 2T & 4T. JB was agast to learn that people used petrol in stoves. He's selling the 4T at 13.48 inc. for 5L. At that price, it'll soon be cheaper than unleaded.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Honey Brothers in Guildford no longer stock the Aspen, as the suppliers will now only let then have it by the pallet load, rather than a number of cans, so no luck there. Can't find it anywhere else.

However, on a whim, I tried BBQ lighting fluid as I saw somewhere selling it off cheap at 1.25 a Litre.

Works an absolute treat - totally clean and just as hot as Coleman Fuel at a fraction of the price!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtwin View Post
    However, on a whim, I tried BBQ lighting fluid as I saw somewhere selling it off cheap at 1.25 a Litre.

Works an absolute treat - totally clean and just as hot as Coleman Fuel at a fraction of the price!
    Beware - most BBQ lighting fluids are a near equivalent to kerosene/paraffin and will work well in some stoves - but fail miserably in others - notably useless in the pump-free petrol stoves - 8R, 71, 99 and the like..

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Beware - most BBQ lighting fluids are a near equivalent to kerosene/paraffin and will work well in some stoves - but fail miserably in others - notably useless in the pump-free petrol stoves - 8R, 71, 99 and the like..
    I'm using it in an MSR Whisterpite International. Paraffin is a different beast - black and sooty in the warm-up etc. Lighter fluid is not - it's clean and fast a la Coleman. I guess the fluids may vary a little in purity, but at the end of the day, you can't go putting horrid additives on a BBQ on which you are about to cook, so logically it should be fairly clean you'd suppose.
    Last edited by bigtwin; 10th-September-2009 at 06:52 AM.