Thread: Forum use reminder, Please Read

Default Forum use reminder, Please Read

As the site has grown it is worth reminding people about some of the things about using the SotP forum. These are not rules as such but preferred behaviour to benefit all the users and readers.

None of these are hanging or banning offences just things that can detract from the enjoyment of the forum ( or really wind me up for some illogical reason )

A few of these are already covered in the announcement at the top of the forum but you've read that haven't you So in no particular order here goes.

Signature links and size

Signature links to commercial businesses are allowed and to pretty much any other site you want. I would, however, not like to see any links that are earning anyone a pay per click dividend. I have never seen this on this site but have on others. The sites linked to should have content that is suitable for the SotP members. i.e. no adult sites.

I would strongly recommend against an email link in your signature. The address will get harvested and you will get spam like you would not believe.

Image links. Like web links these can be pretty much anything you want from a personal image, a smilie or a corporate logo. Animated images are allowed but nothing too distracting please.

Signature size is something that is mentioned in the announcement and can detract from the flow of the threads. It does not matter if it is an image, text or a mixture of both I would like signature size kept to a reasonable size. Of course a reasonable size is open to interpretation. The main criteria is the height, as the width is not really an issue unless it is wider than the page. At the moment KiethD's is about the largest I would expect a signature to be. A good guide is to go to your own profile page and if you have an avatar but your profile box with the avatar is smaller than your signature box then your signature is to big.

In essence what I am trying to say is the signature is a small piece of personalisation it should not be the main feature of your posts and of course it is not compulsory to have any signature .

Capitalisation, punctuation and paragraphs

First off let me stress that there is no minimum standard of English, grammar, punctuation etc for posts on SotP. We have a number of members on SotP for whom English is a second language and I do not want to see anything that discourages them from posting. Similarly we all have different levels of ability in the written form of English and that should be no bar to posting (you can only guess at how many spolling mistakes I made on my first draft of this post). If I see anyone making fun of people's mistakes in posts I will be taking action.

That said there has been an increased occurrence of what I would call lazy posting. This are posts from people who are in a hurry to post a message and do not even read it through to check for mistakes before posting. I can't help but think that if a post is not worth the poster reading through then it is unlikely to be worth anyone else reading

On UKRGB the only rule is that posts without the use of capitols and punctuation are deleted without explanation or comment. I would not go that far but I would strongly request that an effort is made in this. I know from meeting and chatting with members that many of them will not even try to read a post that is just a mass of lower case text.

Once again I want to stress this is not about preventing people with poor grammar from posting, far from it. If you are unsure of how to punctuate a post or about the spelling of some of the words then give it your best go and hit submit. Any cheek from the members, let me know and I will deal with it.

In reality it is pretty easy to tell the difference between posts from those who are making an effort and those who are just ignoring the shift button.

On a similar theme text speak is not encouraged. I have seen it used as a joke etc and that is fine but it should not be a regular form of posting.

Do not post messages all in capitols either. On a forum this is seen as SHOUTING and will almost certainly not go down well.

Quoting Posts

Quoting a post or a part of a post in your reply can be a great way to highlight what you are replying to, however, this should be used when required and not just as the standard way or replying. Too often I have seen the whole of a blogg post with 20 pictures quoted in a reply that consists of one sentence. This can slow down the loading of the whole page and certainly breaks up the flow of the thread.

Reporting Posts

If you see a post that is inappropriate, spam or even if you are just unsure about it the best way to highlight it is to use the "Report Post" button This is located at the bottom left of every post. Clicking this sends a message to all moderators.

Members have generally been very good at reporting spam posts. What has not been reported as much as abusive or cheeky posts. These have usually been picked up by a moderator who has been reading the thread.

So I would encourage members to report posts that they think are crossing the line of the SotP standard. What should NOT (not shouting just raising my voice a tiny bit) be done is post a reply "calling" the person on their post. That is how threads spiral out of control. If the post is reported the moderators can give gentle nudge where needed and the thread can continue. If it has gone well out of control it is much harder to try and save the thread. So a stitch in time and all that.

On this subject I would like to mention that most of the moderation on SotP is done in the background by PM. Experience has shown this to be by far the best method as public rebukes only generate resentment that will fester. I point this out as I know of a few instances where moderation was required and taken but members thought it had been "gotten away with".

So that is it for now I may remember more later.

I am posting this in the general section so it is seen by most members but will be moving it to the Reference section in a week or so to make it easier to find. Feel free to comment if you have any opinions or concerns about any of the above.
    Last edited by KeithD; 2nd-March-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: updating image & location of reporting post buton
    John

I'm shouting my name, didn't know about that when I joined. I wouldn't mind it changing if it could be seen as a nono!
    Thinking of ways to get the sack, so I can Canoe more often.

All very reasonable

I don't know if you've seen this.

Its the famous YouTube Netiquette video.

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN View Post
    I'm shouting my name, didn't know about that when I joined. I wouldn't mind it changing if it could be seen as a nono!
    Usernames are like icons or avatars so the way you present the letters is up to you.

If you want I can alter your usermane but you do not have to. Drop me a Pm if you want.
    John

Doug
    I think that is the best guide to forum use I've seen. It would be good if when you registered it was sent with a welcoming message.

Mike
    To every opinion there is always an equal and opposite opinion.
    (Newtons fourth law)

Thanks MK
    that made interesting reading and i'm sure it will reassure many of us that all is well.
    so when we use capitols small spelling errors are ok but with non capitals they are not
    only joking look at the mistekas..misteaks.. erurs..eroors.errors i have make in tring to rite quickly
    keep up the good work mods, it does us good to be remimded about what goes on in the background

andy
    nature is m X-box

Now moved into the reference section.
    John

Just a bump as I have noticed a few big signatures creeping in again and bumping this will hopefully save me having to send any PMs or edit signatures
    John

Excellent point about not quoting huge passages and pictures.

And, I like the way you caught our attention about proper capitalization and about not writing all in capitals, by your misspelling it as "capitol." Clever.

Sound advice MK- especially with people quoting whole bloggs and massive posts with pictures which, as you say is very annoying!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

While I am bumping old guidence it is worth bumping this if for no other reason than we do seem to getting a lot of "quoting" going on. Mostly not needed. As I covered in the quote below

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Quoting Posts

Quoting a post or a part of a post in your reply can be a great way to highlight what you are replying to, however, this should be used when required and not just as the standard way or replying. Too often I have seen the whole of a blogg post with 20 pictures quoted in a reply that consists of one sentence. This can slow down the loading of the whole page and certainly breaks up the flow of the thread.
    And it gives me a chance to show this again I like the advice at 2.10 best

John

Geez - could that guy talk any faster??? With that accent (before anyone says it.... he DOES have an accent, I DON'T ), I couldn't understand most of what he said.......

I got the part about the Admin though, MK.......

Hi gotta prob
    When i try to reply to a thread in the blogs I seem to be restricted to reply with quote which means I am filling up a server somewhere with duplicate pictures etc. Am i being even more stupid than I was made by nature or has the reply icon been moved/removed ?
    cheers

The reply to thread button is at the bottom of the thread for me, same as always. You can use the quick reply box too.

What browser are you using?
    John

Hi I'm using outlook. I still only seem to be getting the option reply with quote. Dont worry Ill get someone to have a look for me cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    The reply to thread button is at the bottom of the thread for me, same as always. You can use the quick reply box too.

What browser are you using?

Oops now found both quick reply and the standard reply sorry for the gormlessness