Thread: Loch Lubnaig - The Alternative Bimble!

Default Loch Lubnaig - The Alternative Bimble!

Having worked both May Bank Holidays, I had a couple of days to use up, so my Dad and I went for a wee trip up Loch Lubnaig last week.

'Lubnaig' apparently means 'The Loch With The Bend', and we found a lovely spit of land sticking out just at the bend, on the non-road (i.e. quieter) side of the Loch. Dad set up camp and made lunch (glad I asked for the 'thin sliced' bread ):

Whilst I tried a spot of canoe fishing (very Huckleberry Finn!):

Dad then went for a walk, leaving me to explore the various bays and spits. I did catch a couple of nice brown trout, but was soon put in my place when I asked "any luck yet mate?" to a passing fisherman, and he held up a 10lb salmon! £5 per day is great value for the chance of catching such a fine fellow, but I didn't fancy hooking one from the canoe, so stuck to the trout flies!

A chilled out evening (curiously no midges at all) and a beautiful sunset ended the day perfectly:

The weather in the morning had changed somewhat, so Dad and I paddled up the Loch a short distance to the start of his hill-walk:

I then spent the morning fishing my way back at a leisurely pace, waiting for the mist to burn off:

Once it did, the day turned into an absolute scorcher - too hot to do anything much, so I paddled a little and lay around a lot! Pretty soon, Dad returned, and it was time to head for home.

Loch Lubnaig is an absolute gem, particularly the quieter West side. The winds can be very odd though due to the hills, so do take care.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy fly fishing was from the canoe. I even tried out my 17 foot dapping rod when the wind got up. This was somewhat 'interesting' from a 15'6" canoe, but it did work, and proved just how versatile these boats can be!

Our campsite was fantastic, and midge free probably due to the fact that it's under the water all winter. You can probably work out the location from an OS map, but I will PM the co-ordinates if you are interested (a great spot for hammocks by the way ).

Cheers,

Blutack.

P.S. can someone please let me know what these photos look like on their computer - they're still giant size on my screen no matter what I do!?!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Photo size is fine.

How are you finding paddling the canoe now that you have had more chance to use it?

Looks like a great spot and perfect weather for getting to know your canoe anyway.
    John

Hi John,

What with the new paddles etc, we're loving the canoe. As with everything, there's a compromise - it's not too good in a high wind. However, it has amazing secondary stability, is seaworthy in all sorts of conditions, and will happily take more gear than my car boot! What more could you ask for?

And all the better for being home made as well.....
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

Good to see you are getting on well with your canoe. It does look lovely, and as you say all the more special as you built it yourself.

Glad you had a good time at Loch Lubnaig, can't imagine my dad getting in a canoe . Can't belive you didn't get eaten alive by the midgies though.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Default colourful PFD

Now you don't see many PFD 's in those colours .

Great photos like the misty one and sunset shots best.

Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineering Maggie

Maggie
    Great photos! Love the canoe!

I'm with Blutac's pa. After looking at canoeing PFD's - with $100 price tags - I'm sticking with my old one - found on the roadway.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default pfd's

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    Great photos! Love the canoe!

I'm with Blutac's pa. After looking at canoeing PFD's - with $100 price tags - I'm sticking with my old one - found on the roadway.
    Come on then Pierre hows about a photo?

Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Come on then Pierre hows about a photo?

Maggie
    Oh, I never wear it. I could take a photo of it stuffed in the stern of my canoe - or laying up against a rock on a campsite. Makes a great back rest!

But even that will have to wait for the next outing.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Maggie
    LOL - Well spotted Maggie. For a PFD that's been used every summer weekend for the last 20 years, it's holding up well! Mine's not much better - it was free issue when I was a sailing instructor in 1994. Sadly, that still makes it one of my newer pieces of kit .

The funniest thing was when I dropped Dad off for his walk on that misty morning, he put his boots on, threw his sandals into the canoe and made for the off. I had to call him back and ask if he *really* wanted to go up Beinh an t-Sidhein wearing his PFD!