Thread: Mohawk Solo 14

Default Mohawk Solo 14

Makers Spec

Length: 14',
    Beam at gunwale: 29", Beam at 4" waterline: 30.25"
    Depth: at bow 18", at center 12.5" , at stern 18"
    Approx. weight: 44 lbs. (Royalex), 39lbs (Royalite, R-84).
    Estimated capacity: 375 lbs.

Makers Writeup
    Solo 14, Mohawk's compact, light and strikingly-beautiful canoes with a tucked in center section, and detailed lines molded into the bow and stern. Nimble on the water, the Mohawk Solo brand of canoes are a delight to paddle. A joy on small twisty creeks- yet with flared bow and sides, the Mohawk Solo 14 can easily handle light whitewater and choppy lakes. Great for small paddlers, but won't let the 200 pounder's down either!
    Discover the ultimate pleasure in canoeing: Solo paddling in a Solo 14 by Mohawk Canoes.

The solo 14 is light, stable and surprisingly agile. On flat water it tracks well and has a good turn of speed for a short boat. The tumblehome makes paddling easier and the slightly flared bow gives a reasonably dry ride.

Low in the stem, it is not overly effected by wind and its narrow beam allows for easy cross deck strokes.

On moving water it is more agile than you would expect from a boat with almost no rocker. Edging is easy with good secondary stability.

All in all it is a good boat for any paddler who wants to paddle solo in a range of conditions and carry some camping gear for weekend trips in the wild.

My daughter (LOIS247) paddled this at the Yorkshire Canoe demo day and fell in love with it, so much she has started saving her money for one She is 12 and handled it better than any other boat she has been in. It is a good size, not just for her but also for a 'more robust' size of paddler...me...

The Solo 14 is easy to handle and even allowed Lois to help carry it . I seem to remember a thread some months ago about a child friendly boat and this one certainly seems to tick the box as far as that is concerned. That said it was an easy paddle for an adult and as Ed states turns reasonably well despite the lack of rocker.
    Leone_blanco

speed-demon 2 lovbed this one to he shot off and only got out when asked to let someone differant have ago,he found it quick to react,and was able to stay awake in it

This was the first open canoe I ever bought. I had the royalight version, really light, but the outer layer is very sensitive. Not a boat to go over sharp rocks. Thought I could do some white water with it, so took out the seat and installed a foam saddle and straps. Took them all out again after my first trip. It had the tendency to scoop up water, and then there would be no way to get it to turn. But then: it wasn't designed for that kind of water.

I sold it to partially finance another canoe, because at that time I had the need for a faster canoe. I regret having sold it. I sold it to a club member who luckily still let's me use it on occasions. Maybe I should try to buy it back.