Thread: Mohawk Intrepid 16

Default Mohawk Intrepid 16

Makers Spec

Length: 16'2",
    Beam at gunwale: 36", Beam at 4" waterline: 34.5",
    Depth: at bow 21.5", at center 14", at stern 21".
    Weight approx: 73lbs.(Royalex), 66lbs. (Royalite)
    Estimated capacity: 850 lbs.

Makers Writeup
    The Mohawk Intrepid's are dry, high volume canoes, with slightly arched and moderately-rockered bottoms, they are the most versatile of our canoes. Very stable and dry, they are at home running whitewater rivers or carrying fisherman to their favorite fishing spot. Because of their roomy, full volume, flared ends with extra reinforcing, the Mohawk Intrepid's are the best choice when the canoe will be used in both flat and whitewater. The 17' Mohawk Intrepid has few equals as a stable, load-carrying, wilderness tripper. Both the Mohawk Intrepid 16' and 17' are an excellent, roomy, stable, load-carrying family canoes.
    Last edited by Canoe Guru; 7th-April-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Default Mine arrived today - 02/09/2008

I picked mine up today all new and shiny
    I will report findings as I go along.

First things first.

Seat positions were installed to my specification to suit my requirements for tandem paddling.

Kneeling thwart was also fitted.

There is an option for IQ gunnel, but on this occassion did not spend the additional 55 as I don't personally foresee the need for all the advanced options that accompany the IQ system.

Jamatrad
    Sean
    AKA Jammy
    [/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

First day out in anger.

Well Saturday 6th September was the first of my proving days for this my new boat.

First general comment from other paddlers was the design of the craft showing it to be "an attractive cane" and I somewhat agree.

Once getting aboard the intial observation was the width of the canoe I felt that I was kneeling in the Torpoint ferry with room for boodies either side of me. Having measured two of the other boats on the is trip this particular Mowhawk only had 1.2" additional with the to Mad River prospector and the same width as the Algash but felt much wider.
    Win number one for me to give Mrs J confidence in the boat.

Stability proved to be second to none and though I have only owned four diffrent canoes I have paddle probably eight different makes an classes I found myself literally standing up and jumping out of this boat all afternoon.
    A suitable test for stability is in travelling through 26 locks on a canal over 8 miles. Though I won't do this route again the Mowhawk made the challenge a lot easier becasue of stablility. We passed through 21 of them.

Portage proved an interesting test. Light weight and with my arthritic problems carrying over distance caused me no issue. Once on the shoulder the carry balance was very good, up and down sloping banks and getting under bridges where shifting positionis necessary.
    Paddling on flat water was a dream and what became obvious was thewind effect. I seemed to have less problem than the Novacraft and the Mad River. I may of been my paddling technique atb the time.

To conclude this section.
    Great for flat water water, great for giving new paddlers and passengers confidence.

Moving water will be my next test to report on.

Sean
    Sean
    AKA Jammy

Having now had the opportunity to run down a few rivers only to grade 2 max and a couple of larger weirs I now know that I have found in this craft a real all rounder.

With the high volume, going through places like Matlock Bath on the Derwent and the Leven seem to give me the additional confidence. I may not have the paddling experience and good quality stroke technique but what I did have was no fear or trepidation.

A trip down the River Trent at two metres above normal levels was a great run as I had all the control I could ask for even when paddling backwards so as to talk to colleagues. Part of this trip I pasddle for a couple of miles standing up using a longer paddler and the primary stability made this not only comfortable but seem easy. Please don't read this as written by an experinced paddler as I have only been in an open for 8 months and moving water for about 4 of those.

Yes, even after paddling all those different boats at the Symposium this canoe, for me, is still best in class.

Sean
    Sean
    AKA Jammy