Thread: A wandering canoe newbie

Default A wandering canoe newbie

Hello all - I don't usually participate in introductory forum sections, but I feel this one is necessary. I've wandered over to Song of the Paddle from BushcraftUK. I don't have much experience - hence the title - with canoeing, but since going down the Thames at a meet, and stopping off for a brew, I think I'm hooked! But where to start? I guess either find a good hiring place or perhaps buy a cheap, secondhand, plastic open canoe. I live in Norfolk, sometimes Essex, if that helps.

Will check out the meets section to see what I can see. Will I need to own a canoe to do this, do you think?

welcome to the forum, Id advise you to see if there is a club in your area, they often have a pool of boats, plus other members will probably be willing to give advice and demos of their boats, get the feel of it and decide what sort of paddling you want to do and what sort of boat you want. Before long you'll decide you want your own boat.

Welcome to Song of the Paddle.

Finding a cheap second hand canoe is very unlikely. The best cheap beginners canoe at the moment seems to be the Coleman one seen in Costco. It is heavy but generally considered a good solid canoe to begin with and thanks to their high resale value you do not lose much, if anything on the deal.

Still before getting a canoe it is worth trying to get out a few more times to confirm it is as good as you think (it is )
    John

Could you give me a link? I searched on a cosco site but couldn't find any coleman canoes .

Cheers all

Sorry, see this link,

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=753

it is actually a Pelican Canoe but Pelican is just another name for Coleman so the rest stands.
    John

Looks great - but I can't seem to find any UK outlets. I'm sure somebody mentioned them on that thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Biddlesby
    Looks great - but I can't seem to find any UK outlets. I'm sure somebody mentioned them on that thread though.
    Costco is the outlet.
    John

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    The best cheap beginners canoe at the moment seems to be the Coleman one seen in Costco. It is heavy but generally considered a good solid canoe to begin with and thanks to their high resale value you do not lose much, if anything on the deal.
    ... plus you'll never really hurt it !

There is a Costco at Lakeside shopping centre, near the Dartford tunnel.

Hope that helps.

Try looking here for where they are

>> http://www.costco.co.uk/default.htm

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

'doh I was looking for coleman outlets. It seems there's a costco in Milton Keynes, so I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers all.