Thread: another epoxy question

Default another epoxy question

hello, just a quick question.

Can you use the same epoxy used on cars, or is there a difference?

just incase it is different, do you know where I can get hold of some cheap stuff (well cheaper than the chandlers, and cost of diesel to get there)

Joe Ford
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Default Epoxy on the cheap

Talk to Rob Hewitt (epoxymanuk) at http://www.epoxy-resins.co.uk/ I'm a bit unsure about the 'epoxy used on cars' that you mentioned? Best talk to an expert!
    I've tried to find 'cheap epoxy' for the last 6 months but not had any real luck. Best to go for good epoxy as cheaply as poss, that's difficult enough! Good luck.
    Older, but no wiser!

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    hello, just a quick question.

Can you use the same epoxy used on cars, or is there a difference?

just incase it is different, do you know where I can get hold of some cheap stuff (well cheaper than the chandlers, and cost of diesel to get there)

Joe Ford
    Hi Joe
    the resin that is normally used on cars unless you drive a formula one is polyester and not epoxy. I have built many 15' 6" canoes using only 3.75 kg of resin hardener and that has included sheathing the outside of the canoe with 200 gm fibreglass cloth I have also helped many others to build their own canoe from one of our kits and the epoxy kit is not that expensive when you compare it against the cost of good marine ply and interior fittings. Please remember we do not sell cheap resin it is top grade marine epoxy manufactured in house and sold without middle men which is why we choose to and can sell it cheaply.

Default Good reasoning!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxymanuk View Post
    Hi Joe
    Please remember we do not sell cheap resin it is top grade marine epoxy manufactured in house and sold without middle men which is why we choose to and can sell it cheaply.
    .....and that is exactly why I've just ordered some! That and the availability of some good advice.
    Older, but no wiser!

thank you for the advice, Just need to buy the resin today, now I have money for it again
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)