Thread: First trip in James O'Connor's ospector

Journal Entries

Default First trip in James O'Connor's ospector

Well James O'Connor's new Nova Craft Prospector arrived lat on Thursday night so on Friday evening he was at my house for us to go out and give it a try.

The weather was lovely and warm but there was quite a high wind, touching on force 3. This gave James something else to content with as well as getting used to his new canoe. We filled a dry bag with water and used it to try and adjust his trim. Seemed to work okay.

We worked our way to a sheltered part of the Loch were we could try out various strokes etc (as well as having a brew up on the kelly kettle). During this part of the journey I got to take pictures while James was still trying to decide what was the most comfy way of sitting in his new canoe.

Once at the sheltered spot I gave James some hints on the main strokes but really all he needs is more time on the water to get used to the new boat. It was interesting to see the 15 foot Nova Craft Prospector as it was what I had originally ordered. The shape is similar to the We No Nah but it is noticeably narrower with less rocker. It also had two thwarts. I could see it being an excellent solo boat if fitted out with a central thwart.

Of course you cannot meet up with a fellow canoer and go without trying their canoe so James had a go in the We No Nah.

You can see he also had a go of my buoyancy aid as well . I am sure James will confirm that he is happy with his new canoe. I suspect he may be looking at central seats as we speak and that a new buoyancy aid may be on the cards as well. Probably a pole and maybe a sail too. These meet ups can be an expensive exercise

And before anyone accuses me of mis naming the thread, if you look in the first picture you will see the "Pr" of "Prospector" has already pealed off. In fact by now I suspect it will be a ospector ova Craft Canoe

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Looks like a good first session.
    Nicely siloutetted shot there too to give a flavour of the paddle.

Journal Entries

That is one sexy looking canoe. High winds on the top of a car and cold weather will take the decals off of new Nova Craft canoes. Put a piece of paper over them and rub hard to get them to stick better or strip them off completely. The Nova Craft customer service department has been known to mail out new stickers free to owners if you ask them. Try a wide kneel between the yoke and thwart when solo in big winds, and sit on a drybag or pack as a saddle until your legs get used to the position. In a light wind I go backwards and sit as close to the yoke as possible.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 11th-June-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan
    That is one sexy looking canoe. High winds on the top of a car and cold weather will take the decals off of new Nova Craft canoes. Put a piece of paper over them and rub hard to get them to stick better or strip them off completely. The Nova Craft customer service department has been known to mail out new stickers free to owners if you ask them. Try a wide kneel between the yoke and thwart when solo in big winds, and sit on a drybag or pack as a saddle until your legs get used to the position. In a light wind I go backwards and sit as close to the yoke as possible.
    many thanks for the advice i will note it for the future. i was out again last night as i figured the more time on the water the merrier with my ova craft ospector!!
    it was a great time out on friday and i thoroughly enjoyed it. i hope to meet up with magikelly asap for another paddle.

regards
    james