Thread: Glueing down a clossed cell sleeping matt

Default Glueing down a clossed cell sleeping matt

HI, i want to fix down a closed cell sleeping matt to the deck of my Nova craft prosspector 15 in royalex

can anyone recomend a decent adhesive for the task?

Journal Entries

Been looking into this a little as I'm about to do the same. The usual thin layer of contact adhesive does the job apparently but it's hellish to get off. Some suggestions of using silicon sealant as it'll hold it on and it's easier to come off when the mat gets tatty. Not tried either but I'll watch this thread with interest when someone more knowledgable comes along I'm half tempted to leave it loose for easier cleaning but??

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

I have just done this with my Royalex boat, I used double sided carpet tape from B&Q so when the Closed Cell Matt starts to look shabby, you can change it easier than if it was bonded down as the resadue of the tape is easier to remove than any bonding agent.
    Last edited by retro; 20th-March-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Hi,
    I have a Nova Craft Prospector with a SP3 hull. It's difficult to stick anything to SP3 but we found Sikaflex 292 marine adhesive worked very well. If it worked on SP3 then it will certainly work on Royalex

Also rather than use a closed cell mat you should consider using.. York Interlocking Floor Guards 4x4ft. one pack 12.97 will do two boats. It will out last a closed cell mats 10 times over

Hope this helps

Pete

100% with Retro on this. Double sided carpet tape works brilliantly in holding the mat down, but also lets you take back up when its had its day. I also use duck tape around the edges to keep them relatively grit and water free. Can't see that gluing has any advantage over this, though it has some disadvantages.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

ok so carpet tape and York Interlocking Floor Guards. Sound like a plan to me, i like the idea of tape as presumably if you get it wrong it's not the end of the world?

thanks guys

I actually think it was your idea Matto that I saw on a post a long time ago and I thought what a top solution. The only reason I have done it now was I lost my kneeling matt that I have had for years, last seen in Tubbyfraser's Larch strake a couple of week's ago. But the cut and shaped camping matt looks really good and makes me wonder why I did'nt do it sooner.

I bought the highest quality sit mat - pink - and stuck it down with Evostick contact adhesive. That was certainly more than 5 years ago, probably nearer 10. Still okay.

I glued mine in recently. After reading various threads came to the conclusion that if you glue make sure you get good quality mats, if you tape not such an issue.

A lot of people recommend the interlocking mats which seem to last longer. I got these from Maplins and used Wickes contact adhesive on a royalex hull.

http://info.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...ned+Floor+Mats

Taped in the edges of mine with duct tape. It was only going to be experimental but 10mths down the line and it's still in place. The only aside, would be to use the more dense type of sleep-mat. As friends with big feet can slice a nice rip in the lighter stuff.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Smile mats

ive been thinking about this for my apache,what about hot glueing some velcro strips to the hull and also onto the mat?that way the mat will come out for cleaning etc.
    If a hammer wont fix it it must be an electrical problem

That sound like a good idea the hot glue should get a good purchase on the rough inside of the apache hull not sure what you would use too glue the strips to the foam matt though, may be the carpet tape method would work for this

I got some workshop matting from maplin at the weekend, and so shall have a bash soon. Regarding the velcro, contact adhesive would stick it to the mat.

Default Mats on 16' Rx Prospector

I used the blue foam camp mats and a can of spray adhesive from the hardware store. I wasn't happy with the first location so I pulled it off (well most of it). I had this set up on my last royalex canoe and it held up pretty good (for the price).

I've doubled up the matting then glued to the canoe.

I also added a thwart on the bow side of the carrying thwart for a more comfortable solo ride (I hope).

http://community.webshots.com/user/JamiePembleton

Jamie
    Fredericton,New Brunswick