Thread: Ply strips versus pine for gunwales/stringers?

Default Ply strips versus pine for gunwales/stringers?

Saw a thread about this but can't it now find. Say my plan says 1 inch x 5/8 inch white pine strips for gunwales, what dimension 9mm exterior ply might give the same strength. I was wondering about cutting 1 inch strips and scarfing them together to make lengths?

i dont know, but

if you were to use strips of ply, you could laminate them to gain more stiffness if required.

Just put one set of strips on as normal, and it shouldnt be too hard to glue another strip on over the outside if you find the sides flex too much.
    (rather than laminating the gunwales 'dry' and glueing them on in one go)

just a thought.
    It all started with a folding boat I built at school...

jondavy's excellent pirogue build uses plywood gunwales:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hlight=pirogue
    It all started with a folding boat I built at school...

Sheffield when it's Term time, Manchester area when it's not!

Talking

Hi,

I used ply for mine coz bending timber seemed far to complicated!!!

Basically i just cut the ply into 3 strips which, end to end, were about 6 inches more than the length of my canoe (3inches on each end) and an inch wide. Then i glued them onto the boat (i didn't glue them together before hand as i though they would probably brake being so flimsy) then repeated it a few times until it was about an inch thick (i was using 6mm ply so i had 3 outwales, the hull and a slotted inwale to make the total ply gunwale 24mm thick, not including the slotted part of the inwale as it seemed not to make too much difference to rigidity)

I must say though that the 1 piece timber jobs look a lot better, i was after function not finish though and it works for me!!!

Hope that helps!

Ian
    Last edited by allhailthegreatpondsnail; 9th-March-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: didn't make sense!!!

Default Laminated gunwales

Hi Yes I laminated my inwales and gunwales out of 6mm mahogany type hardwood which I ripped and thicknessed myself. I used screwfix polyurethane and about 30 clamps it worked very well and is certainly strong enough.
    Ashley
    Can you do the Funky Gibbon?

Default Ply Gunwhales

Hi, I too laminated 6mm ply strips for my gunwhales and inwhales on a micheal storer eureka 155 build. as the whole boat is 6mm ply, I only had to source one kind of material. When the whales are sanded and varnished it blends very well with the boat. I laminated them directly to the boat one by one with clamps and epoxy. as each layer of ply has about 3 veneers in it I now have about 21 fine lines of varnished veneer showing as you look straight down on the plan view of the boat. It adds a nice detail. In total the boat took 3 sheets of 8ftx4ft ply.
    If God had meant us to build fibreglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees