Thread: Stitch holes, how far in from the edge is best?

Default Stitch holes, how far in from the edge is best?

Just about to start drilling stitch holes, my plan says every 9 inches, but how far in from the edge is best? I will be using plastic ties. Any other advice on ties appreciated.

Hi,

Its not really critical and depends on your methods, but here is what I did and that worked fine.

Measure the width of the tie and select a drill bit about 1mm narrower in diameter (the ties will still pull through ok and it makes things easier to deal with because the ties dont fall out on their own.

I used used half inch long pieces of pencil, that went on the inside of the joint to make the panels meet rather than overlap. So I drilled my holes the same distance in as the pencils diameter.

This was about 7mm if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps

It all started with a folding boat I built at school...

Default When do you take the pencil bits out?

Thanks Hob, the pencil spacers sound useful , at what stage do you take them out?

Quote Originally Posted by seabeggar View Post
    Thanks Hob, the pencil spacers sound useful , at what stage do you take them out?
    The process I used was to stitch everything together, make sure its all true and the right shape then do what they (or is it just me) call tack welding.

mix up some resin and add wood flour to make a paste about the same consistency as peanut butter
    ( I used plain flour from tesco - but I have since been saving the sanding dust from my new belt sander)

Run fillets of resin in the chines in between your stitches using the back of a spoon. (if you using epoxy this is strong enough, if using polyester I'd get some fibreglass tape over top as its more brittle)

After its has cured - using a small electricians flat screwdriver (or similar) you will be able to remove all the stitches without cutting them, and the bits of pencil and put them by ready for you next build (which I bet your already planning eh?)

Sorry if thats more info than you asked for - but the main point is to keep the stitches and pencil blocks clean so you can re-use them, rather than just gluing everything in.

Btw there is no reason why you must use a pencil, a bit of dowel or even some of those pasta tubes would do the job!
    It all started with a folding boat I built at school...