Thread: Beginners Guide to using the forum

Default Beginners Guide to using the forum

I really need to get round to writing a Beginners guide to using the forum but until I do that, or someone else volunteers I found a pretty good one already on the Photobucket site. There are some minor differences in our forum set ups but their guide will certainly get you started.

See here

http://forums.photobucket.com/showthread.php?t=8469
    John

Default New comer

Hiya, help please, my mate wishes to join the forum and has asked me how he signs in, and for the life of me I cant remember, would some one be so kind as to jog my ailing memory thanks, Happy paddlingBill

Quote Originally Posted by CanalVoyaguer View Post
    Hiya, help please, my mate wishes to join the forum and has asked me how he signs in, and for the life of me I cant remember,
    Get him to go to the "Forum Home" page. At the top left is an item "Register".

Click on this and follow through the various prompts. PM me if you have any further problems.

You will not be able to see the "Register" button etc if you are logged in.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    Get him to go to the "Forum Home" page. At the top left is an item "Register".

Click on this and follow through the various prompts. PM me if you have any further problems.

You will not be able to see the "Register" button etc if you are logged in.
    Thanks a lot Keith HappypaddlingBill

Hope your mate has managed, if im here it surely cant be that hard, or technical.

Default beginners guide

Ha haha,, this isnt exactly straight forward

It does get easier. In a few weeks you will be posting pictures and everything
    John

Default editting blogs

How do i edit my blog ? Its let me in once but now there's no edit button although it says at the bottom that edit's are allowed

Thanks

Tim

You can only edit posts for the first 24hrs.
    This stops people continually changing their minds on old threads.
    If there is something needing edited after that time send a message to a mod and we'll be happy to help.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    It does get easier. In a few weeks you will be posting pictures and everything
    I am new an i am pritty good with computers and stuff but i cant finde how to post a thread or a blog sepends on what you want to call it can someone tell me how to do it pleese i am confused and i would like to get some tips and tricks from the bigger boys

At the top left of each sub forum there is a blue tab saying start new thread.
    Click on that and a form (like they reply form) will open up to and you fill it in then press submit new thread at the bottom of the page.

i.e. Click on General on the main forum page; Click on Start new thread; Enter details; Then press submit new thread.

You will figure it out in the end. Even I managed and I am a confirmed technophobe!
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

As Silvergirl says just click the button at the top of any section then fill int he post the same as you did when replying to this thread and you are done. You do need a title but other than that it is almost identical to posting a reply.
    John

Default Heeeeeeeelp Photos

Haven't been on SOTP for a wee while and everything seems have changed! I tried to do a blogg but I can't get photos to appear.
    I used the insert image icon just above this box and it kept telling me my photos were undefined whether I used the URL from flickr or tried to upload them from my computer. I tried to make an album from my user Control Panel but couldn't work that out either.
    the only thing i can do is copy and paste them from flickr but whichever size original image i use they come out titchy:

I have been trying all afternoon and am at this stage now

please HELP!

thanks in advance

edit : hang on, the size I see it in this box isn't the size it comes out when i post it.....

edit 2: awesome! trial and error wins again!

Last edited by caibach; 2nd-January-2010 at 06:16 PM.

I have a feeling that the new forum software shows you a thumbnail in the text entry window then posts the full sized image but have yet to have a good look into this.
    John

yep! that's right magickelly. I had a rare old time growling at the computer until I worked that out. In the editing window all the above pics are the same size, it isn't until you post that they come the right size, It makes blogg writing easier, so it is a good thing. It wasn't until I posted the above that i worked it out though.
    Happy new year, keep up the good work and thank you.

Unhappy Numpty needs help with pictures

Just tried putting some pictures in my first blog but they appear as a little box with a red cross in or a URL link? Will they appear in the final posted blog? Cheers CLB

I just emailed you a reply to your query about this. In short you click the insert image button and enter the URL of the picture.
    John

OK John, i will give it a go. Cheers CLB

I would like to be established as something other than "established member". I would like to replace that with "a raiinbow of boats". How do I fiddle with that second line under my alias?

Go up to the top right corner and click settings then on the left frame click edit profile. You then want to edit Custom User Title. If you can't do that then you might need to go to paid subscriptions
    Cheers,

Alan

It is only Contributing Members who can edit their own custom title

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...buting-Members

anyone else with as custom one has had it imposed by me usually as revenge for something
    John

Sorry if this seems a little pointless but I am tryung to find out how to reply to a message I recieved from Tucsomdoin and as I have never posted anything before I am struggling to know what to do. I will try posting here, sorry any moderators, Cathy.

You should be able to reply now. The ability tonsend private messages is just dialled until you have a couple of posts to stop spammers joining and spamming by PM. The theory is we have a chance to spot them while they are making a couple of posts.
    John

That photobucket link isn't working for me, and might need updating. Internet Explorer just reports that it can't connect. I checked photobucket.com but did not see anything that I could be sure was the same.

I am trying to edit the phone number out of a post I made earlier today, but can't see the edit button, can you help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Gifttonature View Post
    I am trying to edit the phone number out of a post I made earlier today, but can't see the edit button, can you help please?
    Unfortunately there is only a short window to edit your posts. I think it's about an hour. The only other way to do it is ask one of the Moderators to do it for you.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

How do I create a post?.

It should be just a case of going to the appropriate section and clicking the + Post New Thread option. The only sections this does not apply to will be the Classifieds and the Reference sections. Any problems let me know.
    John

Hi! I have been a faceless observer for a few years. I am now wanting to sell my canoe and so have made a profile. What stripes does one have to earn before being allowed to post in the classifieds section?

Thanks in advance

Found it sorry

I've tried to work out why "You may not post new threads" but I've been unable to. I suspect I may need to post to a few existing threads first?

Where are you trying to post a thread? If in the Classifieds, see below. Anywhere else, I wouldn't expect a problem, but say where and the moderators will help you.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-a-thread-here!

Yep, let us know what you are trying to do etc and we'll help out as best we can
    Cheers,

Alan

How do I post an advert for my open canoe on the sale page , there is not a new thread tab ?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham b View Post
    How do I post an advert for my open canoe on the sale page , there is not a new thread tab ?
    You have to be logged in for the New Thread icon to appear. Also, you need to be a contributing member to advertise an item for sale.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

You need to be a contributing member to be able to post in that section. I think there's a note about it at the top of it that explains everything.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Graham b View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

As Al and Old Man say, you need to be a contributing member (min a fiver I think) to post an ad. It does at least guarantee you're selling in the right market!

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-a-thread-here!

You may also need to post 3 times before you can start a thread, can't remember for sure, but that's easily solved by replying to this thread a couple of times. Let us know if there's anything folk can help with.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I've just been sent an email from photo bucket which tells me some features of my account have been disabled as I am third party hosting. As I only use photo bucket for the odd post on this site I assume it is about that. How else can I post pictures please? Incidentally I spent ages on a new thread the other day which when I tried to submit, told me I had to log on again. When I did this I lost all my work. Is this common and is there any way around it?

With regard to Photobucket, there is a current thread about this that should answer your questions.

Here; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...r-forum-images

As for losing your work, be sure to tick the "Remember Me" box at top right of the page when you log on. This will stop you losing what you've typed, used to happen to me in my early days here .
    Another way is to write your blogs, replies etc, in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste them to SOTP. I don't use this method, but someone (Mal) will be along to instruct you how to do it correctly.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

As already posted there is an ongoing issue with photobucket and the need for a replacement.

As well as ticking the Remember Me button your post should have been auto saving as you typed it. So once logged back in if you click New Thread in the same section you should see an option to restore from saved at the bottom of the message box that comes up.
    John

How do I find an existing thread that another member has answered please?

Is it one you have posted on? You can go to your own Settings page, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for.../19998-jiscott and see recent posts you’ve made and click on them. Alternatively go to the page of the member who started the thread and see the post there but most usually I would go to the section of the forum the thread was in and just scroll down to it.

Also you can search for a keyword that would be in the thread but it can be hard to pick one that sufficiently narrows down the results to be useful.
    John

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to add a review for a canoe/make not listed?

Many thanks!

Hey. Write the review in, say general, then send a message to the moderators with a link to your review, and they'll add it in the reviews section. Its an attempt to avoid too much duplication on canoe reviews, I think.

Thank you Mal....

Now no 2.....can anyone tell me why this site won't let me edit my posts? It just freezes?

Thanks anyone

I can edit my posts, on a PC with Firefox. Which kind of device and browser are you using?

Edit: I'm editing this with MS Edge to see if I can
    Last edited by Chris_B; 7th-October-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: test

Hi, thank you...
    I use a laptop (never had a PC) MS Edge...which has always been fine....

Working fine for me too (Chrome on my Windows 10 laptop)

Laurence, I've just edited my post above, using Edge, no problem. I'd describe your laptop as a PC, since runs MS Windows. That's distinct from a laptop that runs Linux, or a Apple Mac laptop, or a Chromebook...etc. My guess is that there's something in the laptop that's causing the freeze, possibly an add-on the Edge (they have a nasty habit of installing themselves without asking).