Thread: So now its starting to rot!!

Default So now its starting to rot!!

We had a great Broads paddle on Sunday but I noticed that there was a spongyness when putting the boat back onto the car.

On digging with sharp implement, this is what I found

Any helpful practical suggestions as to how I may be able to patch this up to keep us paddling? It does not need to be pretty, the rest of the boat certainly isn't!!

5 litres of unleaded and a zippo have already been offered!

Help!!
    Andy
    Last edited by kitetraveller; 12th-February-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Trying to get picture to show

Journal Entries

Do you want to do it the proper way, or the quick way!?

I'm sure others will be along soon to advise on the proper way, but personally I'd nip out to Halfords and get a big tub of Isopon or "Quick sand" car bumper / body filler.

Dig it all out down to good wood, then slap on the isopon, and smooth off (use an acetate sheet from an overhead projector if that helps you to get a smooth surface). Allow to cure, then sand flush. The gunwale is probably best done by letting in a new piece of wood, but again, if you're feeling lazy....

Then just prime and paint withs some white exterior gloss as normal. Good luck!!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

still probably not the propper way - but one step up

nip down to halfords and get a tin of that... bridge a gap?? stuff. Its chopped fibreglass strands in resin or something. Would be stronger and the resin would penetrate the wood a bit more.
    It all started with a folding boat I built at school...

Default and this was Barton Broad from the River Ant..

Still no photos ~ I'll give it more time later...

Last edited by kitetraveller; 12th-February-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: still trying to sort the photo stuff..

The bodyfiller will be easier to work with than the fiberglass and once the filler is sealed with paint it will be okay
    Regards Retro

Your references for the pics are something like this
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=8942

You need to download them to Photobucket or some such before you can publish them on SoTP.

Check out

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=2482

Filler is fine, but yes what ever you do cut back to proper wood or it wont work what ever you do. The biggest problem I see is that if you do that then you will end up cutting most of the front off including the gunwales.

If you want to do it right it would be a case of some marine ply and cutting back to an inch beyond sound wood and grafting it on to replace all the destroyed stuff.

You could just scrape back the loose stuff and treat the boat with proper stuff which would be a epoxy sealer first then an epoxy filler. This sort of system should be available from a chandlery. If interested use this link below which will open a pdf and explain the basics.

http://www.rotdoctor.com/epoxy/AppGuide.pdf

If it does not open then right-click the link and click save target as instead.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    nip down to halfords and get a tin of that... bridge a gap?? stuff.
    Yes, that's the stuff I meant. The best stuff comes in a tube or tub, and is a bit like toothpaste, with fibreglass strands / gunge all through it. I think this is the stuff Hobgoblin means, but I thought P38 also had bits of glassfibre through it, and would be good enough here, since you're really looking for a structural filler, rather than anything to bridge a big gap?

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Also get the wood hardener (which is the same stuff they used to put on model planes to proof the skins). Ronseal do one in a smallish tin. There will be others.

It is very runny and soaks in, then dries very hard and halps key in the rest of the fillers.

Philip