Thread: Dog breed for canoeing?

Default Dog breed for canoeing?

I was wondering what dog breeds are best suited for canoeing. I have a springer spaniel myself and she loves the canoe, but strangely enough hates cars. She is a wee bit too excitable though. Size wise springers are not too large. However, if I were getting another dog I would be inclined to get a smaller one (although in an emergencey situation it would provide much less meat). Temprament wise I like golden retrievers but I feel they are a bit big for canoeing.
    Any thoughts?

My border collie loves being in the boat, or water. When we first took her out she was fine until we got close to shore them she'd want to jump out, but she's fine now. Mind you border collies do have other attributes that can be either positive or negative depending on your opinion and lifestyle, not a dog to choose without careful thought. (not that any are).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyyy
    I was wondering what dog breeds are best suited for canoeing. I have a springer spaniel myself and she loves the canoe, but strangely enough hates cars. She is a wee bit too excitable though. Size wise springers are not too large. However, if I were getting another dog I would be inclined to get a smaller one (although in an emergencey situation it would provide much less meat). Temprament wise I like golden retrievers but I feel they are a bit big for canoeing.
    Any thoughts?
    We have a radio show on once a week called "Dr. Demento." Lot of songs by Weird Al Yankovik and the like. The song of the year last year was "Dead Puppies." I'd think that a rather good breed for canoeing. Don't weigh much and don't rock the canoe (if you can't tell, I don't think much of dogs in canoes).

The lyrics:

Dead puppies aren't much fun
    When you call them they don't come
    My puppy died last fall
    That's him lying in the hall
    You can't make them beg for food
    You can try - it's no good
    They won't roll over, they won't play ball
    They'll play dead, that's all
    When you pick them up they sag
    When you walk them it's a drag
    Mummy isn't feeling well
    I think she doesn't like the smell
    Not much fun
    Last edited by pierre girard; 30th-May-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Anything with webbed toes, Labs, retrievers, etc. We have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that loves the canoe. He will sit in the canoe for an hour and wait if you just set it on the lawn behind the house. Start them young and make them mind. We can even sneek up on wild life with Hunter in the canoe. The first time they jump out of the canoe swim them for about a kilometer or so and they will never do it again. They are also useful in adjusting trim when they are well trained. Hunter gets his own high calorie dog food on longer trips. I would stay away from little yappy dogs that swim like bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyyy
    Any thoughts?
    Ha Ha springer spaniels and water,what a combination,ours is great until he sees a duck after that anything can happen,he once chased a pair of mallards within ten feet of a weir,which isnt really unusual except the ducks were airborne!!!!

most of the time he looks pretty much as in the picture even when he's asleep

Border Terrier - no competition.

Default What dog?

Without a doubt a Cairn Terrier. I have 2 and they love the canoe. Just look above and you'll see what I mean!
    Woodlander

Life should be a journey from curiosity to understanding.

Journal Entries

Hi Laird,

Love the photo of your springer. Puts me very much in mind of a certain Bryn Parry cartoon:

P.S. if anyone's looking for a present for their dog, may I suggest one of these?
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

my father breeds springers for use as gundogs and always goes by the mantra that to train one you must let it of the lead, let it run wild and mad as they do and when they're tired, then its your turn to train them. he currently has three ( mother, father, and daughter) and its a total nightmare taking them out . one good thing though is they are great dogs for kids as there all aggression has been bred out of them and what we are left with is an amazing placid and friendly dog. i would never have any other dog around.

We have a collie x german shepherd. Best dog I ever had, loves to canoe, but really too big. Needs big boat, lots of food, is 26kg of weight to carry/paddle. But she is so lovely to have around we never complain.

Something about springer size would be ideal, but I'd go for something a bit quieter!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

An hour North of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just don't pick a roached-backed dog like a grey-hound/deerhound/wolfhound. They don't sit. They either stand or flop down, and since in a canoe there's no room, they stand.

A standing scottish deerhound plays hell with your C of G. (Personal experience.)

But dogs in a canoe are generally a pain in the neck. I love them on land, but when tripping, they tend to wander off or jump out or tip the boat and so on. Not to mention the extra weight you're transporting. Mine stay at home.

A few years ago our Clumber Spaniel, Huxley would have loved the canoe but, now at the right old age of 12, the best he can do is lay on his mat in front of the wood burner and pose for pictures.

Default What dog breed?

Well we had 2 Golden Retreivers so I have to be a bit biased. Key thing is start them off young ours were 7 and 10 when we started paddling and they never felt completely at home, they much preferred being in the water to on top of it! We always let them get the swimming out of their system before we started paddling and they had no idea at all about trim.

We also glued mats into the bottom of the boats to give their paws something to grip to. They felt far more secure, 5 stone of sliding retreiver is absolutely no fun on a rapid.

Default Tripehound!

I've got a tripehound (only way to describe him really) and he's a brilliant water dog. Part fox terrier, part staffie, part dachshund, he's small, brown and very "doggie" (have to febreze him regulaly especially when I have to share a tent/boat/other enclosed space with him) but he's a brilliant boat dog, whether sailing or canoeing. He's small enough to tuck into small spaces, swims well (when he rememebrs how), and has bags of personality. He's not keen on surfing though. Tried him on a surf board in France but he didn't take to it - well actually he fell off a lot but then so did I. He definitely prefers the canoe.

would that be one of the famous abbysinian tripehounds like Dennis'?

Default Tripehounds!

Nothing so exotic - pure Nottinghamshire. Although his Dad was a dog of rare personality. So laid back you'd think he was on something. Mind you, knowing his owner - he probably was

Just back from a three week trip to Sweden and must say my dogs are an integral part of any trip. My Cattle Dog guards all my gear and the Patterdale is a hot water bottle substitute.

Nice dog .

How did the trip to sweden come about? Did you organise it yourself, and go by yourself?

I'm just thinking about a trip myself, you see.

How about an irish water spaniel? Perhaps it would spend a little more time in the water than on the canoe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Biddlesby
    Nice dog .

How did the trip to sweden come about? Did you organise it yourself, and go by yourself?

I'm just thinking about a trip myself, you see.

How about an irish water spaniel? Perhaps it would spend a little more time in the water than on the canoe though.
    The trip was awesome my partner MissyMycelium will be doing a write up next week.

as you can see from my little pic I call her an alberta canoe dog her mom was jackrussell x cairn terrier and dad was a border collie not much weight transfer and not a yappy little thing I havn't told her she's little so she does have attitude

Jock, thi Crock!!

Our Border Collie, Jess is a great canoe-dog, she loves getting in and is great for adjusting trim. She's a great swimmer too!
    Borders are a good sized dog, but they do vary. Ultimately trainable to do anything if you have the wherewithall and patience.
    I wouldn't have anything else now.

Default What kind of a canoe for a dog then?

It's all here!
    "What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money." - - - George Leigh Mallory

Default Whhat Dog

Welsh Border Colly, graet for trimming the boat, keeping your back warm on a bivvy, he served us well for 11 years, sadley missed.

ive always had rescue dogs but currently dogless
    my wife and i cant agree who is to pack up work and look after a couple of dogs ( it should be me of course)
    when the time comes i will go for a mixed bag type smallish shortish rough hair ( bit like me really) as they are perfect for all types of outdoor activitiy
    nature is m X-box

Another vote here for a Border Collie.

I have two, and they are great, as mentioned, you have to know they are the right dog for you, but they are very loyal friends.

Here is Meg:

Innes

Default Dog?

Obviously it has to be a "Splachund"

pete

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    Anything with webbed toes, Labs, retrievers, etc. We have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that loves the canoe. They are also useful in adjusting trim when they are well trained. Hunter gets his own high calorie dog food on longer trips. I would stay away from little yappy dogs that swim like bricks.

Looks like a Buccleuch Lab. http://personal.pitnet.net/LDoll/cho..._lab_lines.htm

Webbed feet, yes. My parents Lab loves water and duck dives etc.

Labs were originally bred for swimming from a boat and retrieving a fishing net back to the boat.
    http://personal.pitnet.net/LDoll/lab...%20history.htm

Pity the St Johns died out.

Nick

Journal Entries

My Chessie often gets mistaken for a chocolate lab by the locals but actually they have no lab in them at all. The story goes they come from two St.Johns Newfoundland dogs that were saved from a ship wreck in the US in the 1800's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Retriever
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

I am with gnac on the Border Terrier. Small dogs who love water and have lots of stamina and if they take it into their head to leap over the side are small enough not to tip the boat .