Thread: Seven hours on the Pollet

Default Seven hours on the Pollet

Since it rained a great deal the forth week of May we decided one last run of the Pollet may be possible on the weekend. Usually a class I and II river that drops 75 meters in 23 miles; the lack of snow this winter caused this usual roller coaster to become a leisurely drifting trip with some occasional wading and a couple class I ledges. My room mate Alan, Myself and Angela set off on what was to be a shorter trip on the river getting out at the last bridge before it merges with the Petitcodiac river, but because the current was less than half normal we didn't set any speed records. The lazy river is not something I often get to do and it was a nice change from splashing and crashing down like in previous years. Alan soloed his Disco' on the trip and Angela and I put the Prospector through her paces as we ran the small ripples, drifted and waded all the way to the final bridge. We followed a family of ducks for a good portion of the trip and found out that ducks prefer to fly over rapids instead of swimming through them, (perhaps they are the smart ones). A bald eagle swooped down out of a tree within 50 feet of us to have a look, but I think he was after salmon in the river as we canoed over a small school going up river shortly before. We got off the river and played the shuttle game and then after loading all of our kit back onto the car we drove for home after probably the last successful run of the Pollet this season.

Photos

Loaded up for the trip up to the river

Putting in at Elgin New Brunswick below Gordon Falls

Very calm for this time of year and very shallow

Nice spot for a campsite

Passing the first bridge...I know, I know, no PFD...not setting a good example. Well the water is 18 inches deep; not even over the dogs head. I do have one incase any of the rapids are runnable.

Hunter, taking it easy, has the best job, drinking water splashed into the canoe

Rock formations in the Canyon section of the river

Looking ahead to assess the small rapid...no problem to run even with the photographer sitting backwards

The lower section of the river and the lowland fields and trees along the river banks

Hunter waits by the canoes while we shuttle back to the top of the river to get the car

Hunter doesn't mind the wait at all

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

You can really see how shallow that water is. Looking at the shape of the banks tho' - I'd imagine it's a fairly hard run when it's in spate.

Hunter looks like he'd be great company on a paddle like this one.

The Pollet River is usually about 2 to 3 feet deeper than on this run; I have never had to wade the canoe on it before. Usually it runs so fast you can do the 23 miles in about 5 hours. This year it took 7 hours just to do a portion of the river. I use a rock at one of the rapids as a water gauge and this year it is out of the water by 3 feet. It got the name Coleman rock because it swamps so many Coleman RamX boats. In high water about 10 inches is visible, it sits at the bottom of a two foot ledge at a 90 degree turn in the river. Going left, after starting the turn and running the elevation drop there is a Shute created between the rock and the canyon wall that sends up big haystacks and on the right side the turn is sharper, and ledge is lower; the current drags you right towards the rock and unless you miss it, you get bounced. Most people roll here or stay a float and end up going through the haystacks sideways then roll. I have run it on both sides without incident except a stop to empty water out, but every year a dozen or so inexperienced canoeists and rafters fall victim. This year it was a bump and scrape trip around the left and an eddy turn in behind the rock to get a GPS reading for future reference.

Looks like a great day out and Hunter looks like a handy guard for the canoes while you run the shuttle.
    John