Thread: is anyone else familiar with Mike Tomkies

Default is anyone else familiar with Mike Tomkies

I know a lot of you like canoeing on loch Shiel,so you might be intrested in this man Mike Tomkies. He lived on the Loch for years,on the side with no roads and has written many books about the wild life in the area focusing on golden eagles and wild cats he also wrote the best book i have ever read about a man and his dog, and i've read a lot of them.He is also a great outdoorsman having previously built a cabin in canada and living in it while watching wild life.

Hi, yes, I have read both the book where he built and lived in a cabin in Canada and the one in Scotland with his dog. Good reads both of them.

Default Mike Tomkies

Did he not stay half way up the west shore of Loch Shiel? In the early days he used a canoe (Kayak?) to watch wildlife. He went to live in Spain and wrote another book about the wildlife there.
    Does anyone know what hapened to him? Last I heard some years ago he had returned to the Highlands and was wandering around in an old Landover searching for somewhere to retreat to and sounding a bit disallusioned with the way things were going. Did he go back to Canada? Hope he found what he wanted.
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I will go Canoeing. H. D. Thoreau.

"Waste of time reasoning with the morally demented"

Some more info on him here

I have several of his books which I found very good.

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Default mike tomkies

I used to write to him occasionaly' the last i heard from him he was living in the borders but was busy setting up a nature reserve somwhere in the south of England which was going to take him a couple of years.

6. Default Mike Tomkies

Yes, I have also written to him, about 10 or more years ago, and received a reply, and also purchased some of his books. I also have a film which he made of Loch Shiel and the wildlife there - in fact I watched it last night for only the second time since getting it. He made the whole thing himself - produced, directed, spoke the script, everything. He has always found it difficult to get the co-operation of the big media people - BBC, ITV and so on. I have never met Mike Tomkies, and also have been wondering what has happened to him: is he still alive? Where is he? What is he doing? I have to say that I am not personally interested in canoeing, but simply turned up this website as a result of entering Mike's name in the search engine, as a result of watching his film yesterday. My main reason for being interested in him is that I like the idea of wilderness, and admire greatly the self-sacrifice that someone such as Tomkies has made in order to follow his dream. I live in Scotland myself - in fact in the Orkney islands, further north than Loch Shiel, but in a much less wild, but still natural, environment.

7. Default I met Mike Tomkies

Hi. I'm a new member but somehow found the site when seaching Google for "Mike Tomkies". I worked at the Canters End Riding Stables when Mike first came to collect Moobli (real name Cantersend Ringleader) as a puppy. At that time I didn't realise what an adventure the puppy would be going on. I worked with his sisters, Roxy and Rahni as they grew up. I have read many of Mike's books and would like to know what he is doing now, if he is still alive. If anyone has any further information, I would love to know more.

8. Default Reply to Ann Sellers IN RE Mike Tomkies

I have located Mike Tomkies and been in correspondence with him. He will be 80 on 25th May. He is looking after a derelict farmhouse and nature reserve in Henfield, Sussex. I have recently read his latest book, entitled "Rare, Wild and Free", published by Whittles of Dunbeath in Caithness. It is a bit different from his other books being a survey of all the types of wild creatures which he has been connected with illustrated with plenty of photos, and containing sections of text from his previous books. I am not particularly a "dog-person", but I did find the Moobli book very interesting and rewarding, as well as sad towards the end; I re-read it very recently, and warmed greatly to the intelligence and gentleness of the dog Moobli, and was astonished at the degree of rapport between him and Mike. Moobli, of course, saved Mike's life on two occasions.

9. Post Reply to Loveday Dewfall

Thank you for your reply. I actually received contact details for Mike yesterday from Morag Lindsay of The Post & Journal newspaper in Scotland. I found an article on line that she did in March this year. Apparently Mike's health has taken a turn for the worse so I am not sure if he will be able to make his annual pilgrimage to Scotland for his birthday this year. However, I have written to him with my memories of Moobli as a baby. Funnily enough he is now living not far from my family!

10. Default contacting Mike Tomkies

Please would you be kind enough to give me an address where I can write to Mike Tomkies. I have always been an avid reader of his books, and was concerned to read here that he is now 80 and not in good health. I would so like to write to him to express my thanks for his wonderful work in the wild, and his wonderful books, but fear I may have left it too late. Do you have any news of him? If so, I would be so grateful to hear from you.
    Many thanks Julia Nixon julia"DOT"nixon1"AT"googlemail"DOT"com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Sellers View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I actually received contact details for Mike yesterday from Morag Lindsay of The Post & Journal newspaper in Scotland. I found an article on line that she did in March this year. Apparently Mike's health has taken a turn for the worse so I am not sure if he will be able to make his annual pilgrimage to Scotland for his birthday this year. However, I have written to him with my memories of Moobli as a baby. Funnily enough he is now living not far from my family!
    Last edited by KeithD; 1st-July-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: make email address spamsafe

Default mike Tomkies

I live in the house Mike used to live in when he moved down from the Highlands.He was looking for another remote location,and found it in the Borders.I believe the property is the remotest house in Southern Scotland.
    we have now lived here for 17 years and have continued to make it a wildlife haven ,the property can be seen if you google ropelawshiel remote.
    Mike also left me with the original hand typed manuscript of Moobli.! spoke with him last year and although not in the best of health,he was as always good company.
    His barn owl video was filmed here in the byre at ropelashiel.

Just incase anyone reads this old post I just thought like say that a short while ago I attended Mike,s funeral at whitley bay cemetery.
    It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
    Jerome.K.Jerome

I too read many of his books. How sad he's no longer with us.

I hope he died a happy man.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.scotsman.com/news/obituar...rain-1-4263772

What a facinating thread. Only about half way down it did I realise just how old it was but what a fitting tribute to a man's life. I used to live in Caithness and found the reference to a publisher in Dunbeath quite amusing and interesting. If I make it to 88 then I'll take that and I would love to leave such a great legacy.

15. Default

Hope he found what he wanted.