Thread: Ten Boats (just curious)

Journal Entries

Default Ten Boats (just curious)

What are all these ten boats of yours?

I have ten (at last count) as well, though I'm working on buying a 16 foot wood rib Oldtown and a prototype cedar strip from the neighbor and an Alaskan freight canoe ( wood/canvas - nineteen foot) from a guy up at the next lake. We just haven't had a meeting of the minds - price wise.

They are:

Bell Northwoods 18.5 foot kevlar three seater

Bell Magic 16 foot kevlar solo

Wenonah Minnesota II 18.5 foot kevlar tandem

Wenonah Jensen 17 fioot kevlar tandem or solo

Cedar strip 17 foot guide tandem (homemade)

Oldtown 1936 16 foot wood/canvas

Mad River Explorer 16 foot royalex tandem

Grumman 1947 17 foot aluminum tandem

Some strange fiber glass canoe made locally - very high bow and stern - looks like an Ojbiway long nose - can't remember the name. I think it is 16 foot and it is a tandem

Home made 17 foot fiberglass canoe - currently in two pieces (lengthwise) I should get at fixing this piece of junk and sell it. It will actually make a pretty nice canoe - when finished. Nice lines.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default new name?

That is an impressive list! Does this give you a new name Pierre? 'Elevenboats' doesn't quite have the same ring to it though...and there might be a lot of us called 'Oneboat'. I suspect you've accumalated your fleet over years? or did you go on a shopping spree?

Old town guide 147
    Argonaut sea kayak
    Sea king sea kayak
    Pouch RZ85 folding kayak (from the old East Germany; fantastic boat combines most of the advantages of a canoe and a kayak but bloody hard to assemble)
    Plywood kayak 19 feet long 19 inches wide (too tippy for me to paddle)
    Gambler whitewater kayak

Iím just wondering what my next boat should be Ö

Default dream boats

If I could have any ten boats I would want the following ten boats:

1. Dagger Caption outfitted w/ solo pedestal and optional deck cover for whitewater paddling
    2. Dagger Caption outfitted w/ two solo pedestals for tandem paddling (as opposed to a triple saddle, which I don't think is rollable) for tandem whitewater paddling
    3. Old Town Discovery 158 for weekend canoe camping trips.
    4. Bell Alaskan, Royalex for wilderness tripping.
    5. Pakboat 170 for travel simplicity.
    6. My first boat, an old aluminum Grumman with a hell of a keel.
    7. Fancy, expensive antique wooden boat that was made in Canada 50+ years ago.
    8. A Sea kayak, not too aggressive.
    9. Esquif Blast, a tandem whitewater playboat (open canoe), at Christine's suggestion.
    10. and finally a 16-foot oar raft that can be paddled (for SouthEast USA daytrips) or rowed (for multi-day Western USA river trips).

That all I want, nothing else.
    Lucas
    --------
    He who dies with the most stories, wins.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by southstaffsboater
    That is an impressive list! Does this give you a new name Pierre? 'Elevenboats' doesn't quite have the same ring to it though...and there might be a lot of us called 'Oneboat'. I suspect you've accumalated your fleet over years? or did you go on a shopping spree?
    Many years. It is kind of a disease, though.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default How many??

On the subject of "how many boats one should have" I have just purchased an Old Town Pack and a We.No.Nah prospector....!

So that takes me (and Eileen ) up to 5 boats.

Dagger exodus sea kayak
    Pyrahna G3 general purpose kayak
    Sit on top
    We.No.Nah
    Old Town

I am in the process (a long process) of building a carbon prospector.

One can never have enough boats I feel and if you and your partner both paddle WELL!! that just doubles the number, does'nt it?

Jim

Default sorry for the delay

in replying, but I'm just back from a 4 day trip on the West Coast of Scotland paddling one of the 9 (Spirit2).

Yes, only 9 at this stage, due to a bit of recent buying and selling. However, I have just welded up another rack so I now have capacity for 11 (Tenboat+1)

Currently

Wenonah Spirit 2 rx tandem general tripper 17'

Wenonah Rogue rx tandem WW tripper 16'

Wenonah Prospector 16, outfitted solo for poling/ww tripping.

Wenonah Prism, 16'6", kevlar flexcore, all wood trim, gorgeous flatwater tripper/fast day boat.

Wenonah Solo Plus rx, 16'6" outfitted solo for easy river touring, bit of everything kind of craft, and be used as fast performance tandem with a bit of de rigging.

NovaCraft Supernova, solo WW tripper/play boat (ish), 14'10", rx. A special in that it is rxlite and alloy gunwales, and outfitting to die for. Nearly fitted a minicell saddle, but just fitted thigh straps and a thwart rather than seat.

Dagger Impulse OC1

Mega Sea kayak, very light but not very fast, with me paddling anyway!

Eskimo Kendo ww kayak, rarely used.

If I had to have just one? Probably the Supanova if I wanted to lean towards river work, or the Solo+ if leaning the otherway. (For solo canoes that is, for tandem it would be the Spirit2.........we have done loads of big trips using this canoe).

I have also had MRC Explorer 16 , Intrigue and Guide. I would have another Intrigue, but only if I could get hull and gunwales and then do the outfitting myself, and also had a Dagger Rival.

Next purchase will be a smaller, faster sea kayak and then maybe a Bell OC1.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2