Thread: Favorite Island for Camping

Default Favorite Island for Camping

What's your favorite Island for camping?

I can think of a few, but there is one in by the Canada/Minnesota border that sticks out in my mind. In a narrows between Farm Lake and Disappointment Lake, it isn't too large, Kind of long and narrow, but has a very nice stand of white and red pine. It is just big enough to give you sheltered camping, if temps are cool, but has nice points, if you want a breeze.

The narrows has some current through it and the wind seams to funnel through the narrows, which is very nice in the summer. Mostly rocky shores, there is a nice sand beach at one end, and the sand goes out a long way into the narrows, which is very nice for swimming.

The point, where we often camp, has a large rock area with a tall standing rock which has a vertical crevice in it. We build our fire against this crevice and it acts like a chimney. Even if we camp back in the interior, in cooler weather, we often build our fire on this point - as the heat reflects back so nicely from the standing rock.

There is a good bay just to the west of the island, which is good fishing for northern pike and bass. I wish I had a photo, but if I do, I can't locate it. One of my favorite places.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Various on rivers throughout Scotland.

I like the one on Loch Ard for groups I take paddling, with the remains of a crannnog nearby & a 'secret' loch.

Default Favorite Island

Todd Island on the New Brunswick Maine boundary waters. It has lots of ash trees, lots of cedar trees, and a little bay filled 200 feet in with driftwood. Narrow and windy with few bugs it is about a mile or so long. I can stay here for days and just carve stuff. The best place in the world to try to put together a birch bark canoe. The island was never lumbered and I know there is a birch big enough in there somewhere with my name on it; I just don't think I could bring myself to cut it down if I ever find it.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 29th-May-2006 at 03:25 PM.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Ok, it's not an island, it's a long thin point, but as islands here abouts are pretty much only steep sided, sea battered barren rocks, out off the headlands, (and almost all are seabird colonies) it's the nearest I've got I think ...

Mine is one of the islands on Loch Lomond. Despite the Loch being so busy in summer this island is almost always empty. Small and very wild without even a path through it, I can get there at short notice escape from it all.

Not mentioned the name but a few people on here know the one but I do not want the place becoming a public camp site
    John

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan
    I just don't think I could bring myself to cut it down if I ever find it.
    Good man !

.., and that is a fantastic looking place in that picture.