Thread: Travel Books

Default Travel Books

I am a fussy reader, and am always on the look out for good new authors. One of my favorites goes by the name of William Least Heat Moon. To my knowledge he has only written two books, the first I read while in the States many years ago called: Blue Highways - about his travels around the continental US via the B-Roads. His second was called, I think: River Horse - the name of the small motor boat he used to cross the continental US from East to West (Hudson to the mighty Columbia). Though he did use a canoe when traversing the continental divide! His observations are warm and vivid with enough wit without being condescending (note Bryson fans). Mostly, I like him because he is an ordinary bloke who likes doing slightly extraordinary things, and he tells a good tale.

Any other recommendations?

Try a book called Shrimpy by Shane Acton. Its about An ex Royal Marine Commmando (Shane Acton) who not really fitting in to civilian life, spends his savings on an 18foot plywood yacht, and with no navigational training sets off to sail around the world. He actually makes it. The book is more about the people and places rather than the usual man against elements sailing books
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Default Sounds good!

Thanks Dave, I shall lookout for that one. Amazon here I come! Pete.