Thread: Lochaber Canoe.

Default Lochaber Canoe.

Would anyone happen to have a copy of "Canoes and canoeing. With a guide to Scottish waters." by John Marshall (Pub: Stirling, 1937)?

I'm not on the hustle to buy it. Just wondering if it has any information on his Lochaber Canoe beyond the sketch, photo's and description in "Quest by Canoe(Alastair Dunnett)".
    They have a copy in the NLS but it may be a couple of weeks before I can take time off to dive over to Edinbugh for the day. In the meantime I'm just curious.

Any other references would be good too. If there turned out to be one sitting in a museum or someone had the licence on the plans that'd be real cool but a photo of the keel stips alone would be a godsend.
    I'm guessing this' early british sea kayaking so book recommendations dealing with that era would go down well too.

For folk that haven't a clue what I'm on about(and because everyone loves a piccie) here's the man himself(on the right) and an incling into why a flat-bound townie might be eyeing up his canoe.

If there's modern boat that does the same kind of job I'd be interested in hearing about it. The fore and aft sections are bouyancy, there's a touch more cargo room than I'm used to and the same seating arrangement(i.e. whatever you can knock up from what you're carrying).

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Journal Entries

Hi Grooveski,

I just happen to have a couple of similar designs bookmarked. Are either of these any use?

http://www.passioncanoe.com/canoes.html

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/news_13.htm

Also, a bit off your topic I know, but how cool is this concept for a home build?:

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Journal Entries

Very interesting site! I'd love to paddle one to see what they're like.

I think they would be great for flatwater lake canoeing. I guess I'd be a little hesitant on the wear factor, with all the rocks you run into on some of the rivers where we canoe, plus the weight, at 32# for a 16 foot canoe, is no better thant some that are available in a kevlar canoe, Souris River, for example.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Looks nice
    But if i was paddling a fabric boat I would want to be able to pack it up and get on the bus with it.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

The Bear Mountain design was what I was thinking of. Doesn't sound like a common model though. It's a shame, feed that design the bulkheads and built-in bouancy of Marshall's idea and it would be a very handy piece of work.

Daycron, now you're talking - that's a very interesting site!
    Doesn't talk me away from canvas but does put me in the mood for a Rob Roy.... That's real nice.

The sheeting itself isn't a bad price. Was thinking that second skinning might be an idea on the air tanks and that gives another option.

Cheers.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,