Thread: Freuchie, Loch

Default Freuchie, Loch

This is a very pretty natural Perthshire loch set in surroundings that in winter are bleak and windblasted, but in good weather are a real delight to be in and around.

There are photographs of Loch Freuchie here

And a map

It's situated in Glen Quaich, that stretches NW from Amulree. Amulree is located 9 miles/14.5km west of Dunkeld on the A822.

From Amulree, Glen Quaich takes you NW, past Loch Freuchie on your RH side, and after Loch Freuchie along the River Quaich against its flow, on and on to progressively higher ground which can periodically be snowbound most winters. After passing over one of Perthshire's highest roads, you'd eventually emerge, after a succession of no-kidding hairpins, at Kenmore, on Loch Tay.

From the top of Glen Quaich, looking back down at Loch Freuchie nestling in the Glen's base, is a postcard scene that rivals much better known beauty spots.

Access to the loch is no longer as easy as it used to be. The access road now has a locked gate on it a goodly distance from the "main" road, so to get your canoe to the loch you need either to drive to the gate, take your kit from the car, reverse back to the road and park as close as you think is safe from the road end, or else trolley your outfit down the road, over the gate, to the put-in via the Quaich a few yards from its outflow.

Freuchie's outfall is called the River Braan, a medium sized tributory of the Tay, that passes through Rumbling Bridge and several miles downstream, also passes the famous Hermitage before it discharges into the River Tay a short distance upstream from Dunkeld. This area of the Braan is (was?) the subject of a locally unpopular proposal to build a hydro scheme.

A couple of years back a holidaying (I think German?) doctor went canoeing on Freuchie, had a capsize accident and still hadn't been found when the Amulree hotel staff told me about it last Summer. Not nice.

There's ample farmland on which to camp at the loch's western end, but it'd be easy enough to make off down the loch and make camp somewhere else.

Note that there's a section of bank in the vicinity of the crannog/island that the landowner reportedly doesn't allow access to - same source gives out that landing on the island isn't allowed. While the access code might provide a right to argue against this, confrontations with locals seldom add anything to a trip - it might be best to give way on this, and take advantage of the several miles of alternative shores that Freuchie has to offer.

In season, the Amulree hotel sells fishing permits for Loch Freuchie. Given the right weather, it's an idyllic location. Chances are you'll have the whole place to yourself.
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn

and another photograph of Loch Freuchie HERE

Taken one very cold day at the end of 2003, pre-canoe days for me

I was out on Freuchie with my son yesterday (14\10\08) and took a few photos. We parked on the main road by the track leading to Turrerich farm and carried boat and gear to the put-in.

Immediately after the small bridge which crosses the River Quaich a rough track branches off from the main farm track sharply to the right and leads to a convenient sandy beach which is perfect for launching.

Total distance from the main road was around 250m. I guess we could have got a little closer but that would have meant temporarily blocking access to the farm whilst we unloaded.

The loch was empty apart from ourselves. There were two guys fishing from within the reeds at the south east end and a party of game shooters walking along the northern edge. Over two hours though we only heard about half a dozen shots. The highlight of the trip was seeing two flocks of geese; one on the water and another on the shore.

Thumbs up

it looks like a bonnie wee loch , another one to get to ,

thanks

Footman

Looks great and not too far for me, either. Hmmm.....another for the growing list.
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

Default Freuchie alternative launch point

We found a spot with less of a portage today. 500m south of the Turrerich farm bridge the road is quite close to the SW shore of the loch and there is a layby with space for 3-4 cars. An unlocked gate in the fence allows passage of boats and people. It's about 60m over grass down to the shore.

No notices about restricted landing seen. I didn't try landing on the crannog as there appeared to be birds nesting. The river Quaich has a very slow flow (at low water levels) and it's possible to paddle about 1 km upstream until fallen trees block the way. Many Canada geese on the loch and river.

What al ovely looking place.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishing View Post
    In season, the Amulree hotel sells fishing permits for Loch Freuchie. Given the right weather, it's an idyllic location. Chances are you'll have the whole place to yourself.
    Re the above - the Amulree Hotel closed for renovations, with a stated date for reopening (I think) summer 2008.

At the time of adding this note June 1 2009, it's still shut - and looking rather forlorn and abandoned.

Fishing permit purchase keeps shifting, from Dunkeld to Stan the Keeper who lives not far from the loch.