Thread: Pictographs

Journal Entries

Default Pictographs

I've always enjoyed taking etchings of pictographs. There are quite a few in the boundry waters and across the Canadian shield, usually on a sheer cliff next to a waterway. Do you have anything like this in the UK? Of course you do have castles.

BWCA pictograph website:

http://www.canoecountry.com/pictographs/

http://www.whisperwood.net/pixnpgs/m/m21.html

Here are some of my reproductions (done years ago - before the feds began warning you not to touch them):

Hare:

Caribou:

Caribou head:

Thunderbird:

Two in canoe (there is a story about this one, but I can't remember the details)

Youth with courting flute. This one got me banned from one American canoe site "obscene," they said. I've always viewed it as a very frank depiction of courting. Let me know if you have a problem with it.

Man with pipe:

Last edited by pierre girard; 23rd-May-2006 at 08:53 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

We have castles and I am sure we have aboriginal art of sorts here and there but none I can think of that is particularly accessible to canoes.

As for the courting flute, if it was a picture I would be concerned but as a piece of aboriginal art I am reluctant to censor it. In these times art reflected what people saw and thought. A more honest and open approach than we have now. Of course I would not want to have to explain it to may kids but then again I do not like them watching half the adverts on TV either

Default Pictographs

Hi Pierre,

I was born in East Wemyss in Fife and there are local caves there with pictographs.

www.wemysscaves.co.uk

click on Gallery Drawings.

Green Jeans ghost was a much used deterent if children were not behaving themselves if you believe in ghosts that is.

Maggie.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Journal Entries

We have a few around our area but the public is not allowed access unless guided by park wardens.

Of course the UK has lots of old celtic stuff plus the Uffington white horse and the Abbas Giant. Perhaps the largest,"rudest" piece of ancient art known.

Youth with courting flute. This one got me banned from one American canoe site "obscene," they said.
    It is interesting that our ancient ancestors were comfortable with this kind of display and we are not. In our culture, show an unnatural act of violence on TV or in movies and we are completely comfortable but show a naked man and you get censored or banned. Perhaps we have a lot to learn from our ancestors.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 24th-May-2006 at 02:42 PM.

There are some faces carved into the rock on the river Eden. I think they can only be seen from the water. I thought there was a picture on the net somewhere but I can't find it.

(edit: found it. not exactly ancient though )

Last edited by Rogue; 24th-May-2006 at 08:24 AM.
    Rogue

In Roslin Glen (below Roslin Chapel - yes that one!), there are a couple of big faces 20 foot high said to be carved by the monks, I also know of a wee one - the folk at the chapel told me there are supposed to be 20 large & small ones through the glen. there are also some roman letters carved at one bit.

And it's got two castles! Roslin & Hawthorndean, which has supposed stone age caves below it.

It's an interesting paddle when the river is up a bit, scary when it's high (occasionally tree dams form across the sandstone gorge).

Just paddled past our local castle (Hailes) with a group today, weather windy + sunny, scrapey with lots of falling in & great fun had by all.

The quiet bit by the castle: