Thread: trying out boats

Default trying out boats

I'm thinking about a new boat, Lucas was laughing at my Symphony. I've only got room for one at the moment so it has to be a compromise, not too slow on the flat and up to some fairly basic bouncy white water. Primarily solo, occasionaly tandem. mostly day trips.

Purely from reading people's comments and reading websites, I think the WeNoNah Prospector 15 is the best bet, or maybe the 16. The problem is trying out all the options.

So, does anyone have a Prospector and would be prepared to meet up on a convenient bit if flat water (in central Scoland) sometime, a summer evening would do, to let me have a try? I could cover petrol costs or provide some 'refreshment'.

Further to that, would folks be interested having some kind of demo day, where we'd try to get as many boats along as possible for folks to contrast and compare. Perhaps the charming Mr Rossitter from Stirling canoes could bring a few along (do you do demos, Dave?) , and even provide me a whopping discount on my new purchase.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Journal Entries

Demo Day would be a great Idea .

We've got a Wenonah 16' prospector that your welcome to have a try in if we could arrange a suitable day. We are however starting to look at getting a second boat and it would be good to try out the options ( i'd be happy to get another prospector but don't have the funds to get another from new).

Perhaps the strathyre meet could be combined with some sort of demo day. Don't know if Stirling canoes do demo boats but we demo'ed two from Highland canoes last year so there's hope .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

I have the 15 foot prospector and you are welcome to try it. We can either arrange something or if you can get along to the meet up at Loch Achray there should be a selection of canoes there to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    Perhaps the strathyre meet could be combined with some sort of demo day.
    Good plan, but... sadly I don't think I can make that weekend - The River Ayr Walkyway paddle* is on Sunday 11th and I'm planning to go on that. I folks were keen to do something demo-wise on the Saturday then I would come up for the day, but I'd imagine some sort of full on trip woudl be the plan for Saturday.

* I'm assured the paddle is actaully in the river rather than on the walkway itself.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh
    I'm thinking about a new boat, Lucas was laughing at my Symphony. I've only got room for one at the moment so it has to be a compromise, not too slow on the flat and up to some fairly basic bouncy white water. Primarily solo, occasionaly tandem. mostly day trips.

Purely from reading people's comments and reading websites, I think the WeNoNah Prospector 15 is the best bet, or maybe the 16. The problem is trying out all the options.

So, does anyone have a Prospector and would be prepared to meet up on a convenient bit if flat water (in central Scoland) sometime, a summer evening would do, to let me have a try? I could cover petrol costs or provide some 'refreshment'.

Further to that, would folks be interested having some kind of demo day, where we'd try to get as many boats along as possible for folks to contrast and compare. Perhaps the charming Mr Rossitter from Stirling canoes could bring a few along (do you do demos, Dave?) , and even provide me a whopping discount on my new purchase.
    Pity it would be too long a trip.

Spring Creek Outfitters (http://www.canoegear.com/html/) have been excellent to deal with in this respect. Show up at their warehouse, they load six canoes on their trailer, give you the keys to their van, and give you directions to a lake about two miles away. You spend the afternoon trying out their canoes.

If none of the canoes suite your fancy, you return for six more canoes and try them out. Last time we were there they had between three and four hundred used canoes.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    Pity it would be too long a trip.

Spring Creek Outfitters (http://www.canoegear.com/html/) have been excellent to deal with in this respect. Show up at their warehouse, they load six canoes on their trailer, give you the keys to their van, and give you directions to a lake about two miles away. You spend the afternoon trying out their canoes.

If none of the canoes suite your fancy, you return for six more canoes and try them out. Last time we were there they had between three and four hundred used canoes.
    I need to move! Decent used Canoes seem a little thin on the ground (water) over here.

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh

Further to that, would folks be interested having some kind of demo day, where we'd try to get as many boats along as possible for folks to contrast and compare.
    I can trailer 6 of my canoes and would be happy in principle to run a demo session along with others (or not). Finding a suitable time might be an issue. Maybe we could combine a demo with a mini trip somewhere so that I feel like we are going canoeing rather than just demo'ing?? That would mean getting all the boats on the water at once and folk swapping about enroute.

Central Scotland is good for me.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    I need to move! Decent used Canoes seem a little thin on the ground (water) over here.
    Spring Creek buys used outfitter canoes. The outfitters trade up to new canoes every two or three years. These used outfitter canoes vary from the barely seaworthy to the barely used.

As an example, on my most recent visit I saw a 16 foot Oldtown royalex, don't remember the model, seaworthy, but bent gunwales and damaged seats, for $200. Make a great first canoe. I would have bought it, but Wing was along, and I couldn't think of a decent reason for buying it, other than to have one more canoe.

Our Bell Northwoods three seater looked like it had hardly been in the water. The Northwoods has received more scratches while we've owned it than it did while the outfitter owned it. We paid $900 for it.

For the price of a new kevlar canoe - it is nice to have a "used" option. A friend at work just purchased a new Bell Northwoods "black/gold," with the third seat - at a huge discount for $2100. Lot of money!

He is afraid to put it in the water.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 23rd-May-2006 at 04:31 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1
    I can trailer 6 of my canoes and would be happy in principle to run a demo session along with others (or not). Finding a suitable time might be an issue. Maybe we could combine a demo with a mini trip somewhere so that I feel like we are going canoeing rather than just demo'ing?? That would mean getting all the boats on the water at once and folk swapping about enroute.

Central Scotland is good for me.
    Fantastic offer Tenboats. Do you want a list .

A mini trip would be a good Idea, you don't get a real feel for a canoe till you try taking it somewhere. And as you say it would count as going canoeing rather than just demoing.

We were thinking balquhidder to loch Lubnaig on the 10th of June don't know if that would be a suitable option. Plus we'd have children along for the ride so that could complicate matters, although we usually paddle with them anyway.

Suggest which days you can manage and I'm sure there will be a few takers, and a few with other models to try out.