Thread: no cook lunches

Default no cook lunches

What are you favorite no cook lunches? Meals that require no refrigeration, pack well, are light enough for wilderness tripping?
    Lucas
    --------
    He who dies with the most stories, wins.

Not too hard. We always have the same thing.

Hardtack or rye crisp with peanut butter and jelly. Pack peanut butter and jelly in two layer plastic bag. Puncture bags and squirt peanut butter or jelly on rye crisp or hard tack.

Raisins or dried cranberries

Jerk

Nuts

Candy bar or maple sugar

Kool aid or Tang
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Kinda similar idea to Pierre really I think, although the contents are a maybe a bit different - rice cakes, homous, olives, a lentil or mushroom pate, cereal bars, sometimes sushi, plenty of fruit ...

I don't know if you can get this stuff in the UK yet but it is a brilliant addition to our canoe menu. It is packed in nitrogen gas or something? Takes a few seconds on the campfire. It weighs 65 or so grams after you loose the box.

The company has this to say about it.

Maple Leaf Ready Crisp® Bacon has no additional preservatives in comparison to our regular uncooked bacon. It can be stored unopened in your pantry for up to six months.

We usually buy the PC Bacon instead, it's cheaper and has two smaller packs instead of the one big one so it can be used over two different meals.
    http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodA...id/6528/type/2
    Last edited by Lloyd; 30th-May-2006 at 01:49 AM.

You know, I have something to say about Canadian food. Every time we are in Canada we head for a grocery, if we are able, and stock up on certain items. The general quality of some of the food seems to be better than that found in US groceries. I also have a trucker who brings me things on a regular basis. I love the peanuts sold in Canadian stores.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    Hardtack or rye crisp with peanut butter and jelly.
    WHAT!!! You mean that asbestos bread stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyyy
    WHAT!!! You mean that asbestos bread stuff?
    Much the best kind of bread to take canoeing - Bears won't eat it
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Much the best kind of bread to take canoeing - Bears won't eat it
    Just shows you that Bears are smarter than they get credit for
    John

You know, I have something to say about Canadian food. Every time we are in Canada we head for a grocery, if we are able, and stock up on certain items. The general quality of some of the food seems to be better than that found in US groceries. I also have a trucker who brings me things on a regular basis. I love the peanuts sold in Canadian stores.
    You can thank this lot for that, they are pretty strict.
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml

They are a big expensive outfit, but they are worth every penny. Sort of like the FDA in the US but focused on the food.

Default Hard Tack

The stuff we buy is made in Newfoundland, another exotic culture and country that Canada happens to own. We soak it overnight and bring it almost to a boil the next day and fry it with bacon. The "Newfies" fry it with cod and other fish. You can add molasses, gravy, pretty much anything. If you prepare it right it is like a chewy dumpling. When we make it at home it is usually with meat, canoeing it could go with a number of things. The bears won't touch it thats for sure, we routinely leave it to soak overnight by the campfire without incident.

Here is the "Newf" way to make a bizzare dish they call Fish 'n Brewis
    http://www.tidespoint.com/food/fishnbrewis.shtml
    http://www.elook.org/recipes/american/1079.html

You can order the stuff here
    http://www.doryload.com/hard_bread.htm
    http://www.canadianfavourites.com/store/bakery.html

Make your own recipe
    http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=250765

Default A slightly gross admission

A slightly gross admission, but "Primula" is an excellent canoe lunch. That is a sort of cheesy goo (various cheese + ... flavours exist) for those who don't know. It nominally needs to be refigerated, but seems to keep at least for days without. Squeeze a bit of that into a roll or some pitta bread and you are well sorted - without the need to make sarnies before setting off. It's entubulated nature means no mess or waste...

Now, a much better choice is proper saucisson, but you either can't get it outside of France, or it costs a fortune instead of being cheap and cheerful. Keeps for ever, lots of flavour, no fridge needed, and a satisfyingly rustic chew .

Ben

What do you mean by 'no cook'? Does warming up a wrap on a stove count as cooking in this context?

My favourite lunch is cheese and scallions melted into a wrap. Come on, its not really cooking!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    A slightly gross admission, but "Primula" is an excellent canoe lunch.
    I like primula on ginger-nut biscuits, I think it's a great combination but few others do so there's very little call for sharing!

Also favourites are oat cakes with jam or smoked cheese and as others have said Pitta bread goes with anything.
    Kellogs have started doing a fruit bar thingy that keeps well and is like a moist fruit cake, they're nice too,
    Last edited by Matto; 19th-June-2006 at 12:42 PM.

I like the soft bake fruit cake type bar things you get now. Could easily eat way to many of them though.
    John

my eating habits change on a regular basis regarding this one,it used to be MATTESONS smoked sausage but at the moment I'm on buttered malt loaf,28pence a lump in asda.If I can pluck up the courage to combine the two I'll let you know!!

Ginsters roast chicken pie - eaten cold. Scottish rolls (Tesco) and lurpak butter. Cupasoup in a flask. Sorted!

Eric

i'm afraid all that i get for lunch is the soggy sandwhich that i buy at the petrol station on the way to wherever i'm going. that and a few nutra grain elevense bars!

regards
    james

Default Soup & Diablo

Put the Kelly Kettle on...get my Diablo ...buttered bread filled with cheese & baked beans cooked over the Kelly for only 2 minutes.
    Cup of soup then Pot of Tea.
    Cake or Scone. Yummy. Ideally 1 hour snooze in hammock then back in the lake/river/sea
    This is (17 stone) Rob's lunch! You should see what I do for supper!
    Rob F

Great Thread

dirty great fat cheap salami from lidl
    plus any bread to go with it
    nature is m X-box

SPAM with flat bread and ketchup if I am in a hurry.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Probably the thing I have the most often is jerk and cheeze. I made a great batch of moose jerk last fall (autumn). I smoked it over apple wood, with just a pinch of salt.

My favorite cheeze is colby - which is made in Wisconsin. Fresh, there is nothing like it. Keeps well enough, and if you have it for a while it turns into something else - still good tasting, but not colby.

I also like some hard cheeze - smoked gouda, and a couple others I can't think of the name of right now. They keep well.

I use the light lunch things you get but put them in a tortilla wrap to make it easier to eat. The keep for ages and taste okay.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    Ginsters roast chicken pie - eaten cold.
    Ginsters is not food!

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    dirty great fat cheap salami from lidl
    plus any bread to go with it
    Hmmm that sounds good. Malt loaf with 'proper' butter.
    Leone_blanco

Default Pot Noodle

What more can I say!!! All we need them to do is make it in tin cans instead of the plastic ones then you would not even need a Kelly Kettle or the likes.

Ohterwise when the kids are along we go healthy and E numbers free with carrots, peas in their pods, celery etc. (no we are not veggie) as these are very refreshing and give you a very smug sence of having been very healthy, then we finish off with Cadburys Dairy Milk.
    Last edited by Chrish; 20th-September-2006 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Spelling!!!!
    Chris

I like a tin of ham and what ever else like some bread. I dont care if its
    had aload of stuff on the bread, it still tastes good.
    Nutragrain is ok, but when i one in a purple wrapper when they first came out, it tasted so bad it wasnt even worth trading to someone else.
    Theres always hunger breakers. You can get a all day breackfast in a can. Its got mushrooms, saucages, egg nugets, some bacon and beans. Its very filling for about an hour, then you are hungry even more.
    Pot noodles are good, but i have cracked a few pots and trying to fix them when you have just poured hot water in, is difficult. If you leave it then your just eating plain rubbish.
    Super noodles are better. All you do is add water, the sachet of the stuff it came with, add some ham from a can and what ever else and eat it when all the water has gone. You do have to put it on the heat, but i think its worth it.
    Tracker bars are the best for cerial bars. All different ones and the chocolate ones taste very nice. They have all sorts in and they can fill you up.
    And of course theres the pork pie. You can buy them in tubes and all sorts. And with some very squashed bread, its tasty.

Joe,

Ginsters is food, you can beet the saucage rolls.
    Now Greggs, theres another load of food you could take. They make all sorts. I found out about Greggs when i was hungry and thought i might get strange looks if i got my camping stove out and cooked. Its bad enough in a service station never mind near/close to a city centre.