Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi,
    Just thought I'd say hello. The site has been very useful in my research on which canoe I should buy. I picked my canoe up last week but haven't managed to get it wet yet, all I've done is attacked it with a drill, which was very worrying, hope to get out at the weekend.
    Over the last year or so have managed to do a fair bit of open canoeing through work, I have a weeks course booked in june up in Yorkshire apparently it's good for team work and it builds character (work does have it's advantages sometimes).
    I used to kayak years ago but much prefer canoeing and it also means the kids can come along too.
    Hope to meet up with other open boaters in the area.
    Jim. B.

Hi Jim.B
    Glad you found your way here.I also used to kayak and decided to switch to open boats for the same reasons as yourself,easier to carry kit, take the family etc,.I thought the transition to open boats would be easier than it has been(no crossdeck paddling with a kayak).and on reflection probably done as yourself and taken a course of instruction,but I'm getting there.Cheers for now.Mike B...

Welcome aboard! Hope you (and I) can get out soon.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Hi Jim

Welcome. Glad you have managed to get your own canoe and look forward to hearing how you get on with it when you get it wet.

Now tell us what canoe did you pick after reading posts on this site?
    John

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Default Hello Jim

Hi Jim, welcome .
    I'm not that far off you (Romsey) so perhaps we'll get to meet up sometime soon. I tend to paddle Itchen (and sometimes Hamble) but I am looking to going further afield and happy to go in company.

Like you I'd Kayaked in the past but prefer the comfort of an Open Canoe. I hesitated before taking the drill to mine even though it is second hand. It seemed contrary to reason but I now feel happier that everything is secure and I'm not going to sink!

There is an growing number of open boaters at the Upper Hamble canoe club at Botley which is encouraging but I don't know how many have made it onto this forum.

SOTP is a great forum - you are never alone! except when out in the canoe maybe.
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Brevan
    It would be great to meet up at some point, maybe on the Hamble or Itchen. Where do you normally put in and is there any parking.

I've been looking into joining a club but most round here seem to center around kayaks, maybe I should try the Upper Hamble club.
    Jim. B.