Thread: Loch Achray 23rd -26th June with BCUK

Default Loch Achray 23rd -26th June with BCUK

Last year there was a meet up at Loch Achray for BCUK and it was responsible for a few new canoers. This year the meet up will be a combined BCUK and SotP meet. There will be a wide range of stuff going on, as well as canoeing. Archery, green wood working. leather working, fire by friction and a whole host of other things will be being demonstrated.

So the Meet up is going to be at Loch Achray from Friday the 23rd June to Monday the 26th June. It is at the forestry commissions youth camp site and we will be getting a Portaloo in for the weekend to help reduce the environmental impact of so many of us wild camping.

See these threads for info on previous meets.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community...ead.php?t=7195

bit long that one so here is a post of some pictures of the site

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community...&postcount=392

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community...ead.php?t=7781

Names so far are

MagiKelly (hammock)
    JamesOConnor ( Hammock)
    Wayland & Debbie (2 Hammocks)

As well as saying if you are coming can you also say which nights you will be staying for as well as what your accommodation is (Hammock, Basha or tent). The reason for this is that the site has ample opportunities for hammock and bashas bit tent space is more limited.

Doc, Wayland, Groovski, JamesOConnor, Sandbender and others I have probably forgotten were all there last year and I am sure they will telly you what a great event it is. Even if you can only pop along during the day over the weekend it is still worth the effort.
    John

going to try and make this one. Have to take a week off sometime soon [use it or lose it]... might as well start off here and try some west coast lochs the following week.

I'll be in a hammock I suppose.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Default Loch Achray

Magikelly,

Alan Ramsay and myself will come along Saturday afternoon with the canoe.If anyone wants to go for a paddle they are welcome.
    Don't know if any real bushcrafters would want to be seen in a red canoe. Didn't do Doc any harm when we rescued him.

Maggie & Alan
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

I should there with my eldest two sons (I've replied separately on BCUK, so don't count us twice )

It is a lot of fun and a good opportunity to pick up lots of additional skills.

Okay from here we have

Don Redondo ( Hammock) Fri to Mon
    MM and Alan (Tent) Sat

So three from here plus 12 on BCUK at the moment. (Myself, Doc, JamesOConnor and Groovski are on the BCUK list but just because the list started there and we registered early )
    John

I've replied on BCUK. I'll be there definitely for the saturday and sunday (arriving friday night) and I'll be in a hammock and tarp setup. The home made canoe won't be ready so I'll be cadging goes from others. I'll also bring my woodcraft and leathercraft stuff and do some workshops.

Eric

Us too please!

Stuart Blink and Zippy (plus Bess the dog if she promises to behave and no-one is dog allergic - do say if you are as she can make other plans).

One tent, definitely Saturday night, hopefully Friday too if we can be organised enough.

See you there.

Susan
    Those with spotless homes have very dull lives.

Just to update you there are now about 22 down for this so still plenty of space.
    John

Angry

Damm on holiday abroad that week

I havent lost my mind, I've got it backed up on tape somewhere!!

John,

I think Jacqui and I will be along. Chance to field test the midgie nets...

Jim.

Excellent another two canoes to play with. I think there are still less than 30 overall so should be plenty of room. from here we have

MM and Alan Sat (day only probably)
    Zippy & Blink (Fri - Sun) Tent & Hammock
    JimH & Jac
    John

Oh that sounds like fun - take plenty of pics folks

If anyone from SOTP wants to do the leathercraft workshop could you please PM me. We'll be making wax impregnated leather water bottles like these.

They are exact replicas of the ones found on the Mary Rose and are practically indestructable. The material costs will be 15 which just covers my costs.

Eric

Yes Please - Friday to Sunday ( work permitting ) Tarp & Bivi Bag - Sounds like a great weekend

Now

JimH & Jac
    Tony Mc Donnell (Fri - Sun) Tarp & Bivi

So 6 overnighters from here and about 20 plus from BCUK (although that includes over half a dozen members from here)
    John

Default I can't come....

Just booked a last minute hol to Florida...

Jac

My other paddling buddy, Reece, has expressed a tentative interest.

He's not a member of either website. How would you feel about his attending in Jac's place, John?

He's also nervy about hammocks...

Jim.

If course he can come................................as long as he sleeps in a hammock
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    If course he can come................................as long as he sleeps in a hammock
    That's the sticker.

He's willing to try, but has back problems and would like a tent option as "backup".

Personally, I reckon he'll be fine once he's tried it. I know I was.

Jim.

I was only joking. There is still room for tents so it is not a problem. Tell him not to worry.
    John

My wife and I are on holiday next week so may be able to get there. Will it be ok just to turn up if we can? We won't know exactly where we'll be until nearer the time. (If it is ok we'll be ground dwelling).

I'm sure there is still spare capacity - no doubt John will confirm.Hope you can make it - it is a great weekend and lots of opportunities for skill-sharing. I fear your coaching might be in great demand.

There's tons of tent space. If we're going to run out of anything it'll be trees.

Yeah, some holiday! Go play in a loch with a bunch of joyriders. Bagsie me some 1* training!
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Default coaching

Be nice to see Kim and his better half.As Doc says Kim might be in demand. Myself and Alan haven't been canoeing much as we have been backpacking into the BIG mountains.Were out the other night with SOTP member Allan and trying to use the skills Kim taught us on the 3 star some we remembered others doh !.
    Great to know there is tons of tent space Grooveski, as we just might stay overnight to the Sunday if that is okay with John.
    See you all soon

Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

No problem Kim, as Josh says there is still a lot of tent space. I think we have about 20 hammocks though You have an open invite so feel free to turn up any time you want.

JimH & Reece (Hammocks and Tent)
    Prospector + 1 (Tent)

8 plus about 20 on BCUK
    John

ive now got the info from the portaloo people ( scotloo), this is the cheapest comapny i could find but they have popped up with a bit of a problem. the chapest that they can do is 38 with 50 delivery and 50 pick up all plus vat . the problem is though that delivery can only be on tues 20th and pick up tues 27th. this is a problem as we obviously wont be on site and therefor cant leave it alone for that long unattended.
    for them to drop it off on friday it is 125 with pick up 125 on monday too! added in with vat and the cost of the loo this come to a few quid that might be too much for all to take for just toilet provision.
    ive talked to magickelly already, and along with putting this up for you all to discuss we came up with either doing the same as the last time, ie dig a hole. or someone could get a chemical toilet either having one already or buying one and we could compensate that person instead, these toilets are only around 50 to buy. but for someone to take away this toilet home by car might not be to pleasant a journey as it could stink a bit.
    i thought this issue would affect more the families and women coming to the meet up as its far more civilised having a toilet on site but im in a bit of a quandry what to do. your thought would be appreciated.

regards
    james

We could do the same as last time. I have a big portapotty. I'm quite happy to put the back of my van at everyone's disposal. That's what we did last time and many people took advantage of it. This time though I'll use bin liners in it as I had to scrape out the bowel evacuations of a dozen or so people when I got home - well actually I forgot about it for a couple of weeks and it was not a pleasant job. Bin liners will make the job a lot easier.

We could always rig a toilet tent if people prefer. No problem with the portapotty though, it can be sited anywhere. We just need some scrim to hide it, and a wee flag to put up outside for when it's in use.

Eric

IIRC, there are also public loos about midpoint on the Forest Drive.

There are also loos at the FC visitor Centre (David Marshall Lodge).

Both are a short drive away though.

thats the one problem with the forrest drive, its about an hours round trip to go to the loo's at the loch drunkie place ,what with the speed restrictions and the one way traffic system.
    i dont mind about the portaloo's its just that families and especially the females prefer a more civilised manner for going to the toilet.

regards

I've already given my apologies to MagiKelly, but I hope you all have a great time at Loch Achray. I'm afraid I wont be there as Sian is rather poorly and I'm on nursing duties for the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully I might make Amelia's proposed Lakes meet, if it's still on.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

A point I should have made earlier is that the access road into the Three Forest Drive is locked at about 7pm however we can access the site by coming in the exit gate, which is not locked. In fact it is always quicker to come in the exit gate. I have checked with the FC and this is allowed as long as you are only coming as far as the Camp Site.

The current list is

JimH & Reece (Hammocks and Tent)
    Prospector + 1 (Tent)

9 plus about 20 on BCUK

It looks as if numbers will be about 30 which is pretty much ideal for this site. If anyone wants my mobile number in case of problems just drop me a PM.
    John

if any of you have a hammock but don't have the midge net i have a spare that i can bring up. at this time of year and with the rain now its perfect for the little blighters to get out and eat us alive. just let us know and i'll pop it in my bag to bring up.

regards
    james

Might have a net or two spare myself In fact I have a couple of spare hammocks if anyone is keen to try them out. Might even remember to bring the Hennessy.
    John

John, I don't have a net yet. If you have a spare for sale, I'd like to baggsy it. Otherwise I'd love to borrow one.

Eric

I am sure I can find one for you Eric, just don't go telling everyone
    John

and if your interested here is the weather for the weekend...
    saturday
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/...allander&day=2
    sunday
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/...allander&day=3
    and monday
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/...allander&day=4

regards
    james

i will have to come on saturday evening as i have staff to pay unfortunately. hope to get there just after 6pm. but i will be there till monday.
    if i get the time though, i will come along tomorrow evening to drop off my nova craft prospector for everyone to have a go with. all depends if my own boss ( aka the wife) lets me nip up to see you all.

regards
    james

An hilarious software crisis beckons.

I'm now stuck here (work) for the rest of the afternoon and well into this evening.

And I can't get any time off next week.

And Reece can't make it.

This one is starting to look a bit ill-starred from my POV. I may try and make it by about lunchtime Saturday, but given I'd have to come back Sunday PM, it's starting to look a looong drag.

2nd consecutive bale out on group trip

See you if I see you.

Jim.

[EDIT] John's prolly already on-site and incommunicado. If anyone going reads this, could you pass it on...

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    [EDIT] John's prolly already on-site and incommunicado. If anyone going reads this, could you pass it on...
    Nope still at work.
    John

I've moved Eric's post to here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=1079

to keep all the bloggs in one place.
    John