Thread: New stoves?

Default New stoves?

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the newish stove systems like the MSR Reactor and Primus EtaPower?

They look very good, but are certainly not cheap so I always appreciate hands on knowledge.

My uses are simply heating water or cooking tinned meals. Normally I would use a multifuel stove and sometimes my Trangia Duossal. But these look both faster and more efficient based on the company's blurb.

Recommended or should I steer clear

Mark

Default Woodgas Stove

Hi Mark,

I just got a Woodgas stove for Christmas. It converts wood or other biomass to gas and burns the resulting charcoal and the gas produced. Consequently you need less wood and the fire is cleaner.

http://www.woodgas-stove.com/

I have tried it out once so far. It worked beautifully. It was quite cheap too, only $49.95, with the dollar being so low at present.

Best Wishes

Frank
    Last edited by Windblown; 27th-December-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add URL

Hi Frank,

I got your note on the other thread as well ... very pleased to meet you.

Wood-Gas stoves are news to me and I do like the look of them. Although it's better in design as a cooker, the principle reminded me on the Kelly kettle - they're good for heating water but not for cooking. I carried all the accessories for a few outings till I caught a Salmon. The one and only time I tried grilling with it - truly bad. For a start I had no knife except a small slipjoint and had to gut the fish with my GB hatchet. It sort of went downhill from there. Salmon never tasted as rough

Anyway back on track, I will have a look at this one you're suggesting.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Roefisher View Post
    My uses are simply heating water or cooking tinned meals. Normally I would use a multifuel stove and sometimes my Trangia Duossal. But these look both faster and more efficient based on the company's blurb.
    Oh dear - Man wants a new toy.
    This is going to be impossible to justify on grounds of efficiency and pretty tenuous on grounds of speed - really, the trangia is already a very efficient stove, and when fitted with the gas adapter very quick.....

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoo...product=284601

There is always the traditional justification - "And why not".

Default Toys for the Boys

Go for a Woodgas Stove and save the planet! (You have to have a good story to rationalise getting a new toy )

Best Wishes

Frank

Just a wee update about these stoves.

I went and bought the Optimus Terra cookset last night. It comes in the Solo or the slightly larger Weekend models. I went for the latter as the pot holds a 220g canister and the Solo needs a 110g canister. The full set is the pot, a lid/frying pan, a folding Crux Stove, a folding Ti spork and a lighter. All those bits and pieces fit in the pot and is held in a drawstring bag.

http://www.optimus.se/index.php?opti...d=51&Itemid=91

The only shortfall is that it doesn't have the fan bottomed pots so it won't be as efficient and there's no windshield either. Maybe I should have went for the Primus EtaExpress which is nearly identical

On the plus side I know that Optimus is good stuff and the Crux is a wonderful small stove with a wide flame spread. But before I spend the money I would like to hear any advice/reviews about the Jetboil, MSR Reactor or Primus Etapower/EtaExpress, if anyone can help.

Thank you,

Mark
    Last edited by Roefisher; 14th-July-2008 at 02:06 PM.

You could have just bought the ETA Power pot and lid for twenty quid and used it over a cheap gas stove or your multifuel
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Tis a canister dilemer for sure. But if you're just after boiling and warming things through, at two thirds the price of an MSR, try a look at the 'Jetboil'.

Not got anything against the 'Woodgas'. Just got one a few days ago and have been happily experimenting with it for the past three evenings. So far, I'm impressed, pleased and hey, it fire and I'm a kid at heart. (No goat or age jokes please.)

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    You could have just bought the ETA Power pot and lid for twenty quid and used it over a cheap gas stove or your multifuel
    That would be too simple Rik. How would Primus and Optimus stay in business if everyone did something wise like that! Seriously, do you like the fan bottomed pots? I know that they're difinitely quicker at getting heat through but I'm wondering are they any better for cooking food?

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Tis a canister dilemer for sure. But if you're just after boiling and warming things through, at two thirds the price of an MSR, try a look at the 'Jetboil'. TGB
    TGB, does the Jetboil have a useful heat range or is one of those off or full pelt on jobs?

Although it would be mainly for water and tinned foods, I still do a little cooking, when the notion takes me and would like the ability to have it running at a low temperature.

Cheers,

Mark

That would be too simple Rik. How would Primus and Optimus stay in business if everyone did something wise like that! Seriously, do you like the fan bottomed pots? I know that they're difinitely quicker at getting heat through but I'm wondering are they any better for cooking food?

TGB, does the Jetboil have a useful heat range or is one of those off or full pelt on jobs?

Although it would be mainly for water and tinned foods, I still do a little cooking, when the notion takes me and would like the ability to have it running at a low temperature.

Cheers,

Mark
    Mark, to be honest, I don't have an ETA pan, but then I don't really need one (not to say I won't get one). The video on the primus.se site says you can use the pan with any stove. I have played with one, and they work well.

Jetboil is one of those stoves you love or hate; they are good for what they are, a big mug on a stove, perfect for fast hot brews, noodles, heating a rat pack etc, but they are just too small for me, I like real food when camping (its one of the joys of camping to enjoy real food at the start and end of a day). Yes you can buy a group pot for it, but then when you add up the cost and space, you may have well opted for a different setup to start with.

I do have a few gas stoves, but they suffer in cold weather a lot, performance drops through the floor, however with the Omnifuel you can turn the gas can upside down and this does boost performance; you can't turn a JB upside down though.

I do prefer liquid fuel stoves, they just work well at any temperature, but I can see the attraction of gas stoves, turn them on and light, but they have no soul

The ritual of setting up a classic stove and preparing good food is a major bonus for me when out and about, is this a sign of age? That said, if I was 18 again, I dare say I'd be using a JB or pocket rocket and cooking and eating instant food from an overpriced Titanium mug
    All the best,
    Richard

Thanks Rik,

Some good views there. I agree about the multifuel stoves. Although I've had a few models but now I just have a Nova. It is good fun to work with them and getting a cup of coffee or a meal is a lot more rewarding than from LP gas.

But I still fancy one of these new affairs. And so, I am going to pull the pin right now and buy an Etapower. I think that I have much the same size of a setup as the Etaexpress with my Optimus Terra Weekend so this would be more useful as well as having the big pot. I will go for the Multifuel model, rather than the LP only one.

We might be a day or two over 18 but we can take bits and pieces of these new designs on board

Mark

ETA power and highly flammable liquids... is this a sub-forum for the basque cause, talking in poorly disguised code? and i thought politics weren't allowed here.

ok getting my coat now...

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    ETA power and highly flammable liquids... is this a sub-forum for the basque cause, talking in poorly disguised code? and i thought politics weren't allowed here.

ok getting my coat now...
    Developing the theme of terrorist cookware:

I have found that you can use a cheap balti dish and a small skillet - this is or course...

The Talipan

Default woodgas stove

If you are interested in the WGS then I have one left from here 8 Woodgas Stoves need homes

PM if you want any more info.

Thanks Rik,

Some good views there. I agree about the multifuel stoves. Although I've had a few models but now I just have a Nova. It is good fun to work with them and getting a cup of coffee or a meal is a lot more rewarding than from LP gas.

But I still fancy one of these new affairs. And so, I am going to pull the pin right now and buy an Etapower. I think that I have much the same size of a setup as the Etaexpress with my Optimus Terra Weekend so this would be more useful as well as having the big pot. I will go for the Multifuel model, rather than the LP only one.

We might be a day or two over 18 but we can take bits and pieces of these new designs on board

Mark
    Why not just spend 7 and buy the Nova/Trangia adaptor, it works very well? You have the Nova, so the Trangia option gives you fast cooking and a windproof solution to your needs.

I do like cooking over an open fire though, and a WGS will be on my list later this year

All the best,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Why not just spend 7 and buy the Nova/Trangia adaptor, it works very well?
    He did... and then sold it to me

Quote Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
    Go for a Woodgas Stove and save the planet! (You have to have a good story to rationalise getting a new toy )

Best Wishes

Frank
    Here here, I have been field testing mine and so far pleased with it, battery case may need upgrading tho' I keep on meaning to go on line and research the options for this but I spend far to long here.
    I digress, I went out without fuel (on purpose)recently and only took tinder (cotton wool and petroleum jelly) it only took a couple of minuets to find fuel and a few minuets later my daughter was eating soup and I BBQ'd a sausage with my toasting fork, I believe they have their limitations but I think the advantages far out way them. A stove for the canoeist as fuel is readily available.
    Happy cooking
    Tim
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Here is a new stove for you, British Army No.12, paraffin and diesel stove.

burns hot, simmers great, sounds like a rocket engine, perfect for annoying the idiots in the next tent who kept you up half the night
    All the best,
    Richard