Thread: MP's hidden secret - exclusive pictures.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Default MP's hidden secret - exclusive pictures.

Ok, ok ... forgive the deliberately lurid headline, and it's potential for misinterpretation. This is about outdoor cooking!

I don't like modern stoves of any kind, I'm completely happy with an open fire (or a firebox containing an open fire) - I can see it, I know how to light it from almost nothing, I know how to manage it, and I know how to read it in terms of how much fuel = time, and I know how to safely nurse it down again (so far as anyone does).

I always use the foreshore or find a stony/sandy/gravelly bit, I never burn a fire in the woods, or on grass, or on anywhere sensitive ... and that may hint at where this might be going.

Granted they are slow, can be inefficient/over hot, smoke gets in your eyes, you get bits in your dinner, you need to get enough fuel to start with, then keep feeding it, often moving it, or your pot around, the wind can be an issue and so on, but they are honest, environmentally clean, and reliable enough (certainly nothing to break/loose/spill/waste).

The only problem, and it is quite a big one, is that they aren't always suitable (like in the car park at the end of the paddle). Even a KK isn't the best bet there, as if you get a smoky fuel load, you'll draw attention. The other part of that is that they can damage the ground quite badly, and if you have a marginal environment, that damage can be catastrophic to the little creatures that are hanging on there - plus it's ugly, and could encourage other people to do the same.

So, in an attempt to find something to augment the open fire, I worked my way through the options looking for small, simple, reliable and as low-tech as possible, with as little environmental impact from the fuel manufacturing process as possible.

Inspired by TF's tardis-stove idea, especially having seen it in use when we were out in the autumn, I went down that line.

Mine all packs into a one litre Tatonka pot, but otherwise is pretty similar to TF's ^. These are my 'standard' pot anyway, and work very well over an open fire, they have a handy, handled lid, which works as a second smaller pot, plus they hang fine, as they have a bail.

I still need to work at a supplier of IDA, and then I'd be free from using the the stinky Methanol version (hmm, I don't suppose it's lawful to distill my own ethanol is it? There are lots of mangold grown around here, I'm sure I could use that), but otherwise it seems to get me as close as anything else is going to.

Primus bottle helpfully contains meths, not Primus fuel !

Packed away nicely, including the handle for the lid.

Unpacked - there is only one windshield, that it looks like there could be two is a kinda trick of the light.

Assembled - them there clickstands really are very good.

Pictured underway in the pristine wilderness of the back garden, canoe clearly visible.

Running boil, about 6 minutes later.

I'll still need to work out how to carry the fuel so a leak of any kind doesn't make everything [else] stink and either make me smell like, or attract, certain categories of 'street-people'.

It's not too sooty, I'm not sure about not being able to see the flame, but it's quick, if I use a big flat rock it won't do any damage, and I can remain inconspicuous in shop doorways when I brew up at lunchtime, sorry, in council car parks, or the side of the road when I'm out (even tho' I rarely go more than about 10 miles from where I live ).

This concession to modernity is isolated tho' - I can't see me buying a television, or a microwave anytime soon, plus I've not really done it for my convenience, it's almost entirely about me not mangling anything.

looks like a smart design MP.

I must admit to being at the other end of the cooking spectrum, I use an MSR dragonfly, usually running on petrol. I do like an open fire but the speed and convenience of a modern stove does it for me.

Horses for courses and all that.

Jay

ps I like the look of your 'natural' garden.

It was like that when I got here...

I bought a dragonfly last summer, but I've yet to use it in anger. I'm way too comfortable with cooking over a fire, but they do have fire bans on, now and again.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I use a clickstand as well. Here is my set up,copied from a post on BCUK

Mine has changed a little since I took these pictures but is pretty much the same.

All housed in an army water bottle pouch.

It is actually all in an order, it just looks stuffed in

There is a crusader mug under a water bottle, a clickstand, a trangia burner (full of meths) a foil windbreak (made from a disposable Bar-B-Que) and a lid for the crusader mug.

The lid has been upgraded with one of Russell's. Not in the picture there is also a spork a disposable lighter and a ferro rod in the pouch. Oh and a packet of puritabs from a ration pack.

Clickstand set up with a couple of bits of coat-hanger to support the mug.

All set up with the windshield. That and the lid makes a huge difference in boil times.

John

That's a cracking and shiny stove set-up MP

I have been thinking about getting a clikstand for a while but was in two minds as to whether they were any good (a trangia mini gets blown around far too much , but in that the flame is very exposed). I think that you have just made up my mind.

I was thinking of trying to make a stove based on a trangia burner - I know you can make them from coke cans but I like the way the trangia holds enough fuel for a brew - however the clikstand is a very elegant solution. One idea I was thinking about was to modify an old folding hexamine cooker.

I note that on the order page page they say a UK distributor is coming soon - any idea who? anyone we know? group buy? dealer offer?

Graham - off for another cuppa!
    Last edited by GrahamC; 17th-December-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork;

I can remain inconspicuous in shop doorways when I brew up at lunchtime,
    Are you sure thats not a special brew?
    knock it off with them negative waves, Moriarty
    why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?

Where do the clickstands come from? thet look very handy
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Clickstands are from http://www.clikstand.com/order.htm and the international orders section indicates that there will soon be a UK distributor. Payment can be made via paypal. Unless someone knows a better way

Graham

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a clikstand for a while but was in two minds as to whether they were any good (a trangia mini gets blown around far too much , but in that the flame is very exposed). I think that you have just made up my mind.

I was thinking of trying to make a stove based on a trangia burner - I know you can make them from coke cans but I like the way the trangia holds enough fuel for a brew - however the clikstand is a very elegant solution. One idea I was thinking about was to modify an old folding hexamine cooker.

I note that on the order page page they say a UK distributor is coming soon - any idea who? anyone we know? group buy? dealer offer?

Graham - off for another cuppa!
    I just got mine in from the US in the end.

Ordered Sunday night, in my postbox Thursday lunchtime. The exchange rate is so good, the whole thing was ~26.00 including postage. I did look at making one, but if I was going to use stainless, I've have to have got it in to start with, then it would need working into shape, and whilst I'm more than happy working carbon steels under the hammer, I have no tools for this kinda neatly subtle job on plate material, so in the end it became too much hassle. I didn't think a hand-forged tool steel version would be especially portable.

I didn't bother making the stove either (for much the same reasons) and the Trangia replacements are cheap and plentiful.

Pretty slack of me I know ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    Are you sure thats not a special brew?
    Ha ha, you've quite obviously been to Torquay on a lunchtime then Oggie.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    Ha ha, you've quite obviously been to Torquay on a lunchtime then Oggie.

Yes, the new beard has been spotted
    knock it off with them negative waves, Moriarty
    why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Firestarter View Post
    That's a cracking and shiny stove set-up MP
    Thanks, it was yours that inspired it.
    That was only that the second outing for that pot tho' (as it was bought specifically for this job), so I imagine it'll get a fair bit grubbier yet (unless I can find an IDA supplier locally ). It's earlier, but otherwise identical, open-fire dwelling brother is nicely blackened/slightly stickied from use, but still performs perfectly.

I use these pans on an open fire as they feel better balanced than the Zebra pans, and they are a good size, and very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

There is a crusader mug under a water bottle, a clickstand, a trangia burner (full of meths) a foil windbreak (made from a disposable Bar-B-Que) and a lid for the crusader mug.
    Full of meths!!! - you are a trusting soul.
    I wondered about this as the O-ring does suggest it might be capable, but the idea didn't appeal much, perhaps as it's inside my pot, so any leak would stink that out (thereby adding another reason to distill my own ethanol).

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    Yes, the new beard has been spotted
    Ha ha .... oops.

I'll try to keep the ranting and dribble down to a socially acceptable level, which reminds me - I'd best crack on with tonights picture (an' I may even change my signature line too).

Full of meths!!! - you are a trusting soul.
    I wondered about this as the O-ring does suggest it might be capable, but the idea didn't appeal much, perhaps as it's inside my pot, so any leak would stink that out (thereby adding another reason to distill my own ethanol).
    Actually Denatured Alcohol or IDA if you prefer but I have transported it this way for a few years now with not a drop leaking out. I am not saying it will never happen but so far it has never been a problem. As, like you, I generally use a fire I can go a two night trip and still have fuel left over from the first fill of the trangia. For short trips I do have a 200mm plastic bottle of fuel to fill up and on linger trips I have a larger bottle but never seem to need it.
    John

Like MK, I keep the Trangia full in the Tardis but put it inside a small drawstring bag from Alpkit. It has yet to taint any food or make the pan smell, even on

the rare occasions when there is a faint smell of meths inside the bag itself.

MP - I thought you only ate (cold) apples when you're out and about

Like MK, I keep the Trangia full in the Tardis but put it inside a small drawstring bag from Alpkit. It has yet to taint any food or make the pan smell, even on

the rare occasions when there is a faint smell of meths inside the bag itself.

MP - I thought you only ate (cold) apples when you're out and about
    Ha ha, it's that obvious eh!
    I've been eating a bit of dried fruit too lately tho' ...

If I'm honest, mine is almost certainly only ever going to be used for making tea, and maybe the odd bit of soup (and I probably mean odd as 'odd' and not odd as 'occasional').

I did make some enquiries about IDA today at my local chemist supplier, we got as far as finding ethanol-90 on the list, but stopped at the point that it'd be about 45.00 ... for all of 500ml, (as it was marked up as having duty in the price).

500ml of meths is about 2.50 ...

I think I'll be using my external fuel bottle for a bit longer yet. I did find this an interesting read tho', over on the HMRC site.

Last edited by monkey_pork; 19th-December-2007 at 09:18 PM.

I have a licence for IDA. I got it for use with a Heat Pal but they were issuing them for use with trangias. I posted the information on BCUK and a lot of people applied and got licences (they are free) but then there was a bit of a change and they have been denying them for use with trangias. However, if you are doing leather work and need clear meths for the dyeing you would still get a licence.

IDA from my local french polishing supplier is about 11.50 for 5 litres
    John

If I'm honest, mine is almost certainly only ever going to be used for making tea, and maybe the odd bit of soup (and I probably mean odd as 'odd' and not odd as 'occasional').
    so you like Miso soup with Tempeh too

Out of curiosity, why the interest in Denatured ethanol over Methanol? Is it merely a smell issue?

I used to work in the Pharma industry and we used 99.998% pure Ethanol a lot (about 100L per week) that costs an awful lot.

I have a very small bottle of it in my kitchen, for culinary uses...

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

Quote Originally Posted by Lordyosch View Post
    Out of curiosity, why the interest in Denatured ethanol over Methanol? Is it merely a smell issue?

I used to work in the Pharma industry and we used 99.998% pure Ethanol a lot (about 100L per week) that costs an awful lot.

I have a very small bottle of it in my kitchen, for culinary uses...

Jay
    I used to work in a lab that had a bottle of 99.99% ethanol kept in the corner of the fume cupboard. One day I asked why we used (expensive) ethanol rather than isopropyl alcohol or methanol like the other labs. I was told that Dr (name witheld) always specifed ethanol - on his desk was always a clean 50ml beaker and a bottle of orange squash!

I notice that Lidl and the like are selling brandy at 5 or 6 pounds a bottle. I wonder if I could fuel my trangia on this instead?

Graham

so you like Miso soup with Tempeh too
    I'm a big fan of tofu but I'm not especially keen on tempeh ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lordyosch View Post
    Yeah, it is pretty much, although it's more to do with post-leakage smell - in use I don't really take any notice.

What I'm cautious about is that any spillage will get 'into' the pot, and out into the rest of my gear. I know stainless is pretty hard and inert, but in my experience it will nevertheless still take up some flavours, and I suspect that the pyridine is one thing it will take up.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post

I notice that Lidl and the like are selling brandy at 5 or 6 pounds a bottle. I wonder if I could fuel my trangia on this instead?

Graham
    Blimey, that's not that far off the price of meths, and I'd bet that it's not that much less horrid to drink either.