Thread: 3 Star Training at Strathyre

Default 3 Star Training at Strathyre

Thought others might have beat me to this but it appears not.

On Friday Maggie, Alan Ramsay and myself were first to arrive. We set up camp then went to the nearest pub for dinner

When we got back to camp Kim had arrived. This confirmed very quickly that Kim was a bloke. When my wife heard the instructor was called Kim she was suddenly not so keen for me to be getting lessons.

After an evening chat we retired for the night in our respective tents. It was strange for all of us to be in an organised camp site. The noise from the other inhabitants did not help with getting a restful nights sleep.. The Saturday night was worse so most of my learning was hampered by sleep deprivation. The advantage of an official camp site is that there are toilets but they were pretty far away. Not a distance you would want to walk in a cold night and it was cold nights.

Anyway Saturday morning we all got up, had breakfast and prepared for the day. Doc arrived, paddling up the river.

As has been said Kim was a superb teacher and due to the reduced numbers we got near individual instruction. I will not bore you with all the details (others may fill in the gaps) but the weather was ideal with light cloud and winds from almost nil up to force 2 and a bit.

Some pictures.

As you can see below, Kim had a hard slog in the training.

Found out his new Mad River was easy to capsize

From 9am till 4pm on Saturday we were out on the water. In the evening we went to the pub again for another meal and to do some theory, then general chat.

Sunday we started again at 9am with some more lessons before an hour of revision then the capsize and rescue

Doc is helped back into his boat after his deliberate capsize. Maggie and Allan having done there's after the bracing lesson went slightly awry

Doc's boat emptied and ready for him to get back in.

As above the last things done on the Sunday was the recovery of a canoe and swimmer. After this we headed back to camp where we changed into dry clothes and broke camp but not before a debriefing and the happy news that we had all passed our 3 star assessments. There was some discussion about further training and 4 star tests so watch the boards for the next time.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 17th-May-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly

Doc is helped back into his boat after his deliberate capsize. Maggie and Allan having done there's after the bracing lesson went slightly awry

Doc's boat emptied and ready for him to get back in.

As above the last things done on the Sunday was the recovery of a canoe and swimmer.
    One of the things I use now is a large tape loop wrapped around my carry yoke for the 'swimmer' to pop their foot into & climb back in. Much easier & safer on yourself than folk hauling/ being hauled in.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 17th-May-2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Fix quote tags

Looks like you all had a great weekend.
    I'm still miffed at having to have missed out , hopefully I'll get to the next one if there is another .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Looks like you all had a great wet weekend. Pity about the noise from the other campers.
    I am waiting for the thread on drysuits
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I am waiting for the thread on drysuits
    Have to say that the clothes I wore turned out to be ideal. They dried very quickly and as soon as I out the water I was warm. When I first hit the water it was COLD but not bad after a few seconds or so.
    John

Thumbs up Strathyre weekend

As Magikelly posted it was a great weekend.
    to Prospector when he wasn,t lounging around in his canoe being towed by Alan and myself was an excellent instructor providing one to one tuition and also working in groups for rescue.( only joking Prospector had a brief rest when Alan and myself rigged up our sail )
    We all learnt many new skills and paddling tandem proved great on the mini slalom course.Cross bow rudder certainly had us turning tight around the buoys. The exercises in fine tuning strokes and using our own energy were really beneficial.
    As Magikelly said Alan and I had an earlier swim than planned so we all practised our rescues.We couldn,t wait for Doc,s turn to be rescued so Alan and I could shout "HELP MA BOAB". Joking aside the Bob Special is a nice canoe to paddle and it certainly feels lighter than our Camper when portaging the short distance to the tents.
    I must admit I lied when I said the water wasn,t cold . My Paramo trousers started to dry out within 10 minutes of being back in the canoe. All our gear was in Ortlieb bags in the sack and everything remained dry.

Back to Alastair,s post this option was discussed but we have never tried it. Looking forward to everyones views on this.
    Our aim was to get the person in the water out as quickly as possible and it certainly worked for all of us.Prospector showed us both the X and Curl rescues.Alan had a go at self rescue and managed fine.
    We all agreed that we need to practise this more and all the new techniques taught over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Seagroatt
    One of the things I use now is a large tape loop wrapped around my carry yoke for the 'swimmer' to pop their foot into & climb back in. Much easier & safer on yourself than folk hauling/ being hauled in.
    Alan will post photos later.

MM.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

We all said the training was the important thing and badges did not matter. But of course if there was a badge available we wanted it. Doc was particularly vocal on this point having not got a badge for qualifying as a Doctor and many other things.

I'll give the SCA this. They are very quick.
    John

Indeed yes. 'O' Level French (passed, grade C, 1984) was not nearly so much fun, much harder work and no badge at the end of it.

To make matters worse, when I visited France I discovered the French neither speak nor understand 'O' Level French.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineering Maggie
    Prospector showed us both the X and .......
    Another hint for X rescues, clip in a line (or the tape loop mentioned earlier), to the capsized boat's bow, lean your boat towards it, wrap the line round your centre bar, straighten your boat & the seal on the water breaks easily for the capsized boat & you can pop it across your own.
    If this sounds like googledy gook (or whatever) I'll try some photos some time.