Thread: Pinned on the Almond day one

Default Pinned on the Almond day one

This was mentioned on another thread so I thought I better post a few pics. Groovski and Tenboats were coming along on this one but had to call it off. Had taken my kit to work so headed straight to the put in. Levels were better than my last visit with Dougie so made it to the first rocky section with no real problems

could not find a line through this lot so had to wade a small section. After two miles and only another couple of spells wading I had to call it a day. Had hoped to reach Lin's mill aqueduct which was only just out of sight round the next bend but did not feel like hauling the boat over this

Should have been an easy run back but got caught out on the section that caused me to wade on the way up.

Probably spent the best part of an hour trying to free the boat but had to give up

Had a half hour walk to the car and a short drive home. Phoned Allan to get some help for Sunday and sent PM to Tenboats to let him know he missed a good day.Soon had a return message with offer of more help. The Mutineer will take up the tale for the sunday as she was in charge of the camera

Default Curious

Bad Maggie .

We all had to wait a day to find out the fate of Poledancer's canoe and so shall ye all.

Will post the outcome tommorrow.

Maggie.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

What a nightmare
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineering Maggie View Post
    Bad Maggie .

We all had to wait a day to find out the fate of Poledancer's canoe and so shall ye all.

Will post the outcome tommorrow.

Maggie.
    That's just cruel Even for a pirate
    John

Doesn't look pinned that bad. The recovery would be easy if a line went around the centre with a loop tied at the side of the yoke for a pulling point; basically flipping the canoe upside down and emptying it. Depends where the trees are too.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

It's scary how easily everything can go wrong. At least it was the canoe, and not you which was stuck. I was expecting to see pictures of the boat completely wrapped, but the prospects look hopeful from that picture.

Looking forward to seeing the recovery blogg.

Paul

Hi Alan,
    I'm sorry I missed this one. I was working on Saturday but ended up driving over the Clyde that afternoon and could see there was a reasonable amount of water in it and was wondering what kind of levels you would have. Certainly better than when we were on it last. Looks like youv'e just been very unlucky getting pinned there. Glad to see you got your camera out the boat ok though...obviously.
    Dougie

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    Doesn't look pinned that bad. The recovery would be easy if a line went around the centre with a loop tied at the side of the yoke for a pulling point; basically flipping the canoe upside down and emptying it. Depends where the trees are too.

You are right enough, and it might have pulled out better from the other end too, but there was only one line available, and more significantly, only one paddler.

Pole Dancer played safe by not going back out to the boat to rig slings etc, which given the tree strainers just downstream was a sensible move. Maybe his only sensible move all day, according to his Mum!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

My mom wrote me off years ago too but says I come by it honestly. You never learn anything on the peaceful trips anyhow, so good show.

Adventure is what happens outside the confines of the trip plan.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Oh dear!

Oh dear oh dear!

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Long as you got out okay. Anything you can talk about later - is worth doing.

Looking forward to the end of this tale.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Pinned

I bet you did not get much sleep that night! As long as you and the boat were ok thats the main thing. I think I might have been tempted to go home and get my tent and camp on the river bank until the boat recovery team arrived in the morning.
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch164 View Post
    I bet you did not get much sleep that night! As long as you and the boat were ok thats the main thing. I think I might have been tempted to go home and get my tent and camp on the river bank until the boat recovery team arrived in the morning.

I think he was really hoping, deep down, that the boat would be gone or folded, so that he would have an excuse to buy another
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2