Thread: Tweed Trip 09/12/2007

Default Tweed Trip 09/12/2007

After lots of interest and then withdrawals, it was a motly crue of Greytowel Mitch and Myself on this trip
    The weather had been up and down all weak, but it was roseatte dawn that greeted us on the approach to Dryburgh

'The sun always shines on the righteous ' my dad always says, hence the clouds seemed to appear in unison as myself, greytowel and Mitch approached the put in.
    The river was at a good height and not too brown and menacing, plus there was no way I could chicken out this time!!
    The river was really powerful and a bit of a shock to the system since I haven't paddle since September.

In no time we were at Mertoun Cauld which could be heard from some distance away (sorry for photo qualityit was on full zoom and poor light)

I have some vid of this which I'll try to post on Youtube

We all managed without problem, mitch taking a slighty trickier route on river left.

After Mertoun it was pretty straight forward until Rutherford lodge. where the brown adrenalin started for me. (photo from just above rutherford estate)

I managed the weir but it the biggest water i've been in by far. Even Dave filled his boat (with water).
    Mitch should have some photos of this I hope.

After after lunch where greytowel scadged food and made an offering to the gods. we then set off to the hardest section. Makerstoun rapids GdIII

The upper rapids were great fun, I was meant to eddy in and take some snaps but I fess up, I was nervous and the section I went down was harder than I thought. so no photos

We then pulled up short of the lower rapids which were STONKING!

Mitch went first and after a 'Test run' prepared for his 'racing lap'

Dave followed with equal applomb

Me well I must confess I chickened out, Mitch took my boat down the middle.

We gathered out selves and pressed on into a growing headwind to kelso, a wee hop over the cauld and back to the car just as dalylight was slipping away.
    The river was the most powerfull I've beenn in and I really enjoyed it, though at the time a little nervy perhaps. note to self, I need to get out more often !!!
    Thanks chaps for another great day with some seroius and meaningful conversation!!

Default River Tweed Trip

Well I must admit that was one of my favourite trips and we could not have asked for better river conditions and the morning sun looked stunning.

View from Dryburgh Bridge

I must admit I was impressed by the way the lads managed to get over Mertoun weir without an upset as its been a long time since I have seen it looking so angry.

Steph and Dave took it down the middle and I run it on the left

Steph

Dave (Greytowel)

There was a few small rapids along the way but our next major obsticle was the weir and rapids at Rutherford Lodge. It was again the most menacing I have seen it. (sorry about the photo quality but I took it from the far bank).

I must take my hat off to Steph as this was the biggest water he has ever paddled and after his initial he came down like a pro. As usual my photography skills let me down and I missed the big grin on his face as he was coming out of the rapid.
    Upper Makerstoun was looking interesting on the right channel so Dave and Myself came up with a cunning plan to send Steph down the middle rapid to eddie out half way down and get some photos of us coming down the right hand side.

Steph decided half way down this was a rubbish idea and kept going to the eddie at the bottom. So we missed our photo opportunity. The channel on the right hand side was a brilliant run proving a worthy and rewarding challenge.

There is a nice bridge on the Mertoun estate so we stopped for a break and took some snaps from the bridge.

Here is one that might be worthy of a caption

We stopped for our lunch and to reflect on our journey. Steph provided the entertainment by falling over the same bit of wire fence 5 times and showing us how to squeeze into a wetsuit designed for someone who has not ate so many pies.

Soon we set off for lower Makerstoun. I have paddled these rapids many times but every time I have ran them at this level I have ran down the middle. Today I decided to try the right hand side and made it all the way down until I met this.

Just to think I have made it nearly a year without a swim but today it was time for a swim .

I was determined to do it so I portaged to the top and tried again. This time I used my brain and made use of a small tight eddie to get a better line of approach. I am sure Steph has a few photos of my swim (thank god for drysuits). Davey followed me and managed to get down all the way with a heavily swamped boat . I also ran the middle and found it quite challenge as there was alot of obsticles.

The remainder of the trip to Kelso was a nice gentle paddle down past both Floors and Roxburgh Castles to the Cobby, where you can hear the sound of the weir. We stopped for a look in the failing light and ran the weir on the right hand side.

I must admit it was a really enjoyable trip and thanks to Big Step (well done) and Davey for a brilliant day.

I have some more photos and will try and get them posted.
    Mitch

Fantastic Photographs, and an inspiring blogg Thanks.
    Regards Retro

you mean these
    I was saving your blushes, but it was spectacular

Default Empty canoe!

Thats not a swim, just an empty canoe Mitch. Cracking blogg and equally inspiring pics. I'm sure I've seen this little ditty on the website - if you haven't made a mistake, you haven't made anything

Great blogg and pics. The Tweed always looks so inviting. Loved this pic...

...but always wonder how easy/hard it is to pic a line through something so wide. It all looks the same from here .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

"Fair Braw".Action packed day by the looks o the photos.Tenboats might be sorry he missed this one instead o meeting us tae salvage Poledancers canoe.

Maggie.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steph View Post

ROFLMAO, my avatar was taken a split second before a very similar incident on that very chute!

Top blog, work have their christmas paddle down this stretch the weekend after next and this has really wetted my appetite.

I think I recognise that spot Mitch, ouch! Looks only slightly smaller than last time we were there. Next time Steph? And I like the sunrise pics.

My back's still nipping so maybe just as well I missed out, but still I'm envious.

Alastair

Default River Tweed Trip

Alastair
    Mine was not as cool as yours. I still think of you flying in the air at the bottom of that rapid every time I paddle it. Hope the back gets better soon
    Mitch

What a great trip guys. Excellent bloggs and photos again...I'm obviously going to have to get another job that doesn't involve working weekends so I can get out more often.
    (Very envious) Dougie

south lanarkshire on east ayrshire boarder p.s. its scotland

Default cracking looking trip

Realy missed a good day by the looks of it!!
    Water looks great at that level and a crackin good day was had by all accounts.
    Didnt get out in the end and had to deal with a burst drain from the feild next to the house
    GLAD YOU ALL HAD A GOOD TRIP AND I WILL NEED TO GET OUT FOR SURE!!!!!
    love alot, trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch164 View Post
    Alastair
    Mine was not as cool as yours. I still think of you flying in the air at the bottom of that rapid every time I paddle it.
    Fly me to the moon & let me play among the stars - why I'm sure there's a picture there somewhere!

Great post with superb action pics.
    Aslan

Great pics, looks like a smashin bit of bouncy stuff. I keep going back again and again to the bloggs on this river. On the list for 08 this one goes.

Nice 1 guys

Cheers

Mark

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova

Great job of the blogg guys ,Really chuffed Steph went for it I see that I will have to keep the pink panties for myself . As for these spiritual conversations we have on every paddle I am sure we could be turning into some sort of paddling cult what do you Mitch ?.
    Still cant get a taste for the penut butter but I will keep trying
    Thanks again Guys Davie

Quote Originally Posted by greytowel View Post
    Great job of the blogg guys ,Really chuffed Steph went for it I see that I will have to keep the pink panties for myself . As for these spiritual conversations we have on every paddle I am sure we could be turning into some sort of paddling cult what do you Mitch ?.
    Still cant get a taste for the penut butter but I will keep trying
    Thanks again Guys Davie
    Its better than big Steph's syrup sandwiches
    Mitch

Default Lights, Camera & Action

Hi Steph

Like you said ...Stonkingly good.

Regards
    H

Hi Howard
    Yep a superb day out in the depths of winter
    I used to spend so many days abseiling off climbs that were melting under our feet.
    At least in this sport, foul weather is welcomed!

Hopefully doing the spey 29th and 30th December

Cheers
    Steph

Damn lads that looks ace, some stunning pictures there.

I'm still laid up, the shoulder injury healed, but to protect it all the other muscle have had to work overtime, aggrivating an old neck injury. i doubt i'l be back on/in the water this year.

The only consolation, missing :
    some seroius and meaningful conversation!!

I still wake up screaming after some of the serious and meaningful conversations ive had with these boys.

Magic
    Wake up in the morning fold my hands and pray for rain,
    I got a head full of ideas and its driving me insane.

Blame the Viz

Hope your feeling better soon bud

Default River Tweed Trip

Magic
    I missed your presence on the Tweed trip. I felt a bit worried being alone on the river with Big Steph and Greytowel as it reminded me of a film I once saw

Hope you stop falling to bits and get better soon.
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    i doubt i'l be back on/in the water this year.
    Ah well - only 19 days to go?

What a bunch of invalids we seem to be at present.

Check out The God channel on Sky seemingly theres a guy on one of programmes if you show your sore bits to the telly screen he will HEEEEL as say HEEEEL you , I will be giving it a try myself ,cheaper than Ibuprfen .

PS If you are in the minority and dont have a telly you can always get down to Comets or Currys

cheers Davie

Default Aaaawwww

you big softees. cheers gents, i do like a bit of sympathy.

Mitch don't think i didnt see your best excuses thread, i'l get a sickline for you tomorrow, fax it through .

Suppose i could sit in the front of Mick boat on the next trip, he's always telling me i'm just ballast anyway.

Later guys

Magic
    Wake up in the morning fold my hands and pray for rain,
    I got a head full of ideas and its driving me insane.

Looked fun & interesting. Will have to do that bit!

Did the upper tweed today (Lyne Station - Peebles - Cardrona +2k). Only me and the folding bike. so a bit tamer, but is wash chilly/sharp in the breeeze.

Philip

That does look like a great trip. My worry is that I would be tempted to try to run some of those rapids and I am not sure I am any where near up to the standard yet. Open water as rough as you like but rivers are still a bit of a mystery to me.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    That does look like a great trip. My worry is that I would be tempted to try to run some of those rapids and I am not sure I am any where near up to the standard yet. Open water as rough as you like but rivers are still a bit of a mystery to me.
    You need to get out a bit - perhaps the other tweed trip - much much softer option!

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley View Post
    You need to get out a bit
    No argument from me. Just need to get the time. I have still to do a sea paddle as well but I have fairly firm plans to get that sorted over the holidays at least.
    John

Default River Tweed Trip

Is that you laying the foundations for a top ten excuse
    Mitch

I spent the summer taking complete beginners down the Tweed, you'd be fine. Maybe get a day on grade 2 figuring eddies and ferrying, but you'll be carving up stuff like that in no time.

Worst that can happen is a swim, and if we weren't meant to swim once in a while, why is skin waterproof?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch164 View Post
    Is that you laying the foundations for a top ten excuse
    That's me laying the foundation for a reason to go
    John

Great Blogg!

I too have not yet done a sea paddle or river run as such. Being in my infancy at canoeing I feel it only a short time before I can start to walk and then run. I am crawling as fast as I can at the moment and can't wait!!!!

FlyBoy
    If it's outside then count me in!

Thats the whole reason I looked at this forum.

I thought it would be a good place to get to know a few people who were like minded and more experienced, and thats exactly whats happened.
    Meeting folk like Mitch and Greytowel was great as they are laid back but pretty experienced.

I tried to book a few courses and they never worked out due to lack of numbers and bad orginisation. So this was the next best thing (in fact better I think)
    You have to just get out and do it, so meeting up with a few more experience folk is the best way.
    Obvoiusly you have to then take full responsibility for your safety etc.
    But in my experience thats the best way.

I had virtually no river experience at all until June this year and its been a great (steep) learning curve. And above all it has to be fun.
    Steph