Thread: Camp sites by rivers or on the beach

Default Camp sites by rivers or on the beach

Recommends please for camp sites anywhere in Uk that are on the river bank or have direct access to the beach and suitable for paddling, coasteering walking and the like.
    I can kick it off with lucksall campsite at Mordiford on the Wye,Camusdarach campsite at Arisaig(one of my favorites) and Pencarnan Farm at St Davids (brilliant for paddling the bitches and round Ramsey island)

But looking for sites anywhere regardless of facilities but with road access
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Several beside lakes in the Lake District, eg C&CC Derwentwater site
    PWC

Low Wray NT site on Windermere, Symonds Yat x 2, ? Monnington on Wye, Loch Lomond camp site, Conniston Hall on Lake Conniston just to mention a few!

+

I know you mention road access but for camping beside and paddling on the sea I think the Isles of Scilly are worth a mention. Cars are left in secure parking in Penzance, Scillonian ferry carries the gear across and away you go. (If lots of gear could always base on one island, gear goes on ferry at Penzance, in St Marys is put straight onto a local island ferry, then taken to campsite for you by owners tractor trailer).
    Photos in Journey around Isles of Scilly blogg, July 07. Does requires lots of confidence on open water and a good knowledge of the ways of the sea. St Agnes is a bit of a hop, which was lively after a subsiding gale. On my last visit there was a search for a local sea kayaker who had been missing overnight, place needs due respect, but very rewarding to explore by canoe.

Big Sand near Gairloch.

Ardmair Near Ullapool

Clachtoll and Achmelvich near Lochinver.

Kneep/Cnip on Lewis. Without a doubt the most beautiful commercial (and I use the term loosely) campsite I have ever stayed on. It's a bit of a trek, but woth the effort.

This is a Google Earth (kmz) file.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

There are many camping sites on the Thames some of which have access by road.
    Keith

Default Camp sites by waters

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh View Post
    Kneep/Cnip on Lewis. Without a doubt the most beautiful commercial (and I use the term loosely) campsite I have ever stayed on. It's a bit of a trek, but woth the effort.

This is a Google Earth (kmz) file.
    That's the best one so far, ....................... keep them coming preferably in top surroundings......................................
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Default Scotland..................

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Big Sand near Gairloch.

Ardmair Near Ullapool

Clachtoll and Achmelvich near Lochinver.
    Excellent

Maryport - on Luce bay just north of the Mull of Galloway.

Some at Allonby, Cumbria - close to Maryport but a little further from the Mull of Galloway
    http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=all...nd,%20CA15%206

Some near St Bees:
    http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=all...nd,%20CA28%207
    (The one near the Head has a bit of a drop to the sea)

Chertsey C&CC campsite has direct access to the Thames.
    Support 1st Workington Scouts
    Shop@ http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/1stworkingtonsjsg

Default Gaaloway

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Maryport - on Luce bay just north of the Mull of Galloway.
    Yes, thats a nice one done a lot of sea paddling round there

Medway campsites listed on the website
    http://www.allingtonlock.co.uk/page12.php

Medway Squirrel

Default Loch Morlich

Forest Holidays Glenmore site?

Ok, so it's not on a river or on the sea, but it is at a nice loch with beaches. They also have at least one at Loch Lomond, but I can't remember the name, and one at Arrochar, I think.

Damien

Default campsites

SOUND OF IONA
    Fidden campsite,the Ross of Mull ,near Fionphort with views of Iona and on the Sound of Iona O.S.grid ref NM303215 Iona & West Mull Map48 1:500000
    LOCH LONG
    Ardgarten Camping and Caravan club site -free launching-friendly staff-CCC members only-at head of loch long.To get there,turn left at Tarbert on Loch lomond,go through Arrochar,pass the Forest Holidays campsite for about 1km and at the TIC centre (a magnificent wood carving of an eagle there) turn left and follow the road to the campsite.
    Ardgarten Forest Holiday campsite may or may not charge an extra 5 per day for a boat.Depends on which staff interprets regs and if it has been franchised off to some commercial enterprise(talk of that a few years back. )

LOCH LOMOND
    Millarochy Bay-again a CCC site-free launching -to get there drive through Balloch,Drymen,and Balmaha on the eastern shore.1st campsite along
    Cashel -further along the eastern shore-same comments may apply as to boat charges.Last stayed there in 2006 when it was managed by a very nice couple.

Forest Holidays sites in Scotland all next to water.

How about Shell Island in North Wales, right on the coast

http://www.shellisland.co.uk/shell/camp/camp.htm
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Default Camp sites by water

These are all great but I wonder if anyone can come up with any I don't already know.
    Kneep on Lewis was a new one, which is great and there are some super camp sites mentioned. Just looking for as many as possible ............... they do seem to be at a premium though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matkat View Post

Recommends please for camp sites anywhere in Uk that are on the river bank
    Cobleland http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/camp...cobleland.aspx is a forest holidays site, on the banks of the River Forth, very handy for the likes of Loch Ard, Loch Chon etc and is mentioned in this blogg http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=11108

Default River Honddu

Near Brecon on the River Honddu

http://www.priorymillfarm.co.uk/campsite.htm

Fires allowed and open all year round.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Default North Scotland

How about the C&CC site at Poolewe, Wester Ross? Just across the road from Loch Ewe (sea loch), River Ewe from Loch Maree runs through village and also not far from Gairloch. Sunset in summer is beautiful. There is some some stunning scenery & beaches in the area and, when we visited a few summers ago, was very quiet with more sheep on the main road than passing traffic.

Steve

Default Isle of Mull

There's a campsite at Craignure on Mull.

http://www.shielingholidays.co.uk/campsite.htm

Not quite camping on the beach, you'll have to portage across the access road but then you're on the shore.

See the view at http://www.tobermory.co.uk/panorama/shielingspan.htm
    Rob,
    sat in front of a PC dreaming about paddling

Default Hayling Island

Hayling has two campsites with access to Chichester Harbour, Fleet Farm and Fishery Creek. Being tidal both have restricted access, only about an hour or so either side of HW: this means either a short paddle on the same tide or going out on one and returning on the next.
    Fleet Farm has a pub, shop/post office and Chinese takeaway just 10 mins walk away

try looking up lickhill manor caravan park on river severn near stourport, im camping there soon myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pyranha View Post
    Forest Holidays Glenmore site?

Ok, so it's not on a river or on the sea, but it is at a nice loch with beaches. They also have at least one at Loch Lomond, but I can't remember the name, and one at Arrochar, I think.

Damien

I would have agreed with you about Loch Morlich a few years back but it's not such a pleasant place these days. Having been going regularly for years it has been turned into an overexpensive caravan site that tolerates campers.. and I wont be going there again unfortunately.

If you're in Norfolk and fancy being near the beach, there's Waxham Sands campsite
    http://www.bigfreeguide.com/camping/...park/1640.html

The campsite is just over the sand dunes from the beach. Popular with families, with facilities.
    There is another campsite about 1/2 mile north along the coast which is more basic and on a farm. Plenty of other campsites along the coast no doubt!
    Last edited by Farmer_Fred; 5th-May-2009 at 10:58 AM.

theres a couple on ullswater, whos names escape me. the better one though is the smaller one, at the penrith end of the lake, on the other side of the lake to the main glenridding road, go past the first large site, the second smaller one is another couple of miles.

and we used this one in cambridgeshire, on the great ouze. very very quiet and small. you WILL need to book, but its a fanastic location right on the riverbank with good launching facilitys and there are miles and miles of river to explore near there. http://www.quietwaterscaravanpark.co.uk/.

theres another nice small site on loch ken thats well documented on here.
    sod work, im off for a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar View Post
    I would have agreed with you about Loch Morlich a few years back but it's not such a pleasant place these days. Having been going regularly for years it has been turned into an overexpensive caravan site that tolerates campers.. and I wont be going there again unfortunately.
    Unfortunately that is our experience too. It's a shame that so many campsites are going that way.