Thread: Canoe Country Weather

Journal Entries

Default Canoe Country Weather

Thought it might be interesting to see what the weather is doing in canoe country around the world:

May 12, 2006

Ely, Minnesota (Boundry Waters Canoe Area): Snow, 100% chance of precipitation, 4 degrees C for a high, 0 degrees C for a low. humidity, 87%, dew point, 0 degrees C, Winds, 11 km per hour from the north

Red Lake, Ontario (Woods Caribou Provincial Park): Mostly cloudy, 2 degrees C, Wind, 7 km per hour from NNE, Dew point, -3 degrees C

Millinocket, Maine (Allegash River): Showers likely. Patchy fog early. 9 degrees C. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Fairbanks, Alaska (Birch Creek): Mostly cloudy. Scattered rain showers and isolated evening thunderstorms. 3 degrees C. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Please post the weather, temperature and conditions at your favorite paddling spot.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Blimey, there is a God after all!

Firday 12th May. Maidstone - River Medway(UK). Sunny, 22 degrees centigrade , wind 5mph easterly. 100% chance of - well anything really. This is Britain after all! Weather forecasts are worth squat here. The last two weekends have been 100% wrong! Forecast terrible, result fanatastic.

Just get me on that river!
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

You can check out the current weather in the UK here
    http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/obs/

Pierre, your figures show how much the gulf stream increases our temperatures over here. Where I live is on a latitude with Kodiak Island, Alaska and today is - oops must go and check- 8 deg C.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus
    You can check out the current weather in the UK here
    http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/obs/

Pierre, your figures show how much the gulf stream increases our temperatures over here. Where I live is on a latitude with Kodiak Island, Alaska and today is - oops must go and check- 8 deg C.
    Hey! I like the weather around Kodiak!
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Then there is Dawson, Yukon Territory (Yukon River):

Temp, -6 C
    86% humidity
    Dew Point -6 C
    Wind - calm
    Visibility - 20 miles
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Default out the front door and cross the road..

Popped outside and took this,

Have had some showers this morning, but sun is trying to break through, temp about 18 degrees C

wind light from the NW

The forcast says 9kn but looks lighter to me, maybe have to do another evening paddle,
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

The 45 acre lake where I keep my canoe has a webcam and a weather station linked to the net... great for knowing what's happening down there, bad for productivity at work...

http://www.ukwatersports.co.uk/weath...on-webcam.html

http://www.ukwatersports.co.uk/weath...r_station.html
    Last edited by Amelia; 12th-May-2006 at 04:19 PM.

As I type this there is thunder and lightening outside.

I am paddling on the Severn this weekend and it looks like I'm going to get wet. I'm taking my fire with me and if it's not too wet I will be doing bacon butties. (HP is moving to Holland! It's a scandal! My world is falling apart. How will I cope if the price goes up? I use more HP than diesel. )
    Rogue

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

You might find this bit of software interesting as a way of getting a snapshot of conditions. You can pick and choose from the stations it pulls the METAR data from.

My nearest station is about 25 miles away and it says:

Time 12 / 17:50Z
    Temperature
    16.0°C
    Dew Point 10.0°C
    RH 68%
    Wind
    SSW (200 degrees) at 13 km/h
    Visibility
    > 10000m
    Pressure 1013.9 mb
    Sky Condition Scattered Cumulonimbus clouds at 1200m

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    (HP is moving to Holland! It's a scandal! My world is falling apart. How will I cope if the price goes up? I use more HP than diesel. )
    ... and in case you have missed this particular news story, the BBC cover it here.

How will I cope if the price goes up?
    Crazy as it may seem could mean its cheaper - the company I work for has shifted a lot of production (also food) to Holland as it is actually cheaper to make it there and using Dutch trucks using cheaper Dutch diesel to transport it back to the U.K. than make it here!

I've just got to hope the entire operation isn't shifted abroad!

Rols.

Journal Entries

Never heard of HP sauce, but I am alarmed to hear this bit of news from Monkey Pork's article:

"Britain has already suffered the demise of proper British institutions like the red phone box and the faithful Routemaster bus, which is why it seems so important to start this campaign to Save the Proper British Cafe."

While I'm not too concerned about saving the "Proper British Cafe," I am wondering if the faithful Routemaster bus is one of the double decker buses we see in all Brit films (you may be happy to know we have saved at least one on Lake Superior's north shore), and to hear there are no more red phone boxes - What does Doctor Who travel in now?

(Tom Baker was my favorite "Doctor.")
    Last edited by pierre girard; 12th-May-2006 at 09:42 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    Never heard of HP sauce, but I am alarmed to hear this bit of news from Monkey Pork's article:

While I'm not too concerned about saving the "Proper British Cafe," I am wondering if the faithful Routemaster bus is one of the double decker buses we see in all Brit films (you may be happy to know we have saved at least one on Lake Superior's north shore) [...]
    With apologies about the selective quoting ...

The Routemaster is indeed the red double decked bus as seen in many films...

The Proper British Cafe is an institution if it's done right.

Dunno about the Dr Who thing tho' - sorry, other than I think that I heard on the radio that the newest Dr Who show has recently won some sort of industry award.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork
    With apologies about the selective quoting ...

Dunno about the Dr Who thing tho' - sorry, other than I think that I heard on the radio that the newest Dr Who show has recently won some sort of industry award.
    If memory serves, he was a time traveler = who's time travel vehicle was a red call box (at least I think it was red - we didn't have color TV at the time).
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Hi Pierre

The Doctor is a Time Lord, now the last of his race, who travels in an old police box called The Tardis, which is blue

This link may or may-not be of interest?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

Cheers

Sprout

"You might find this bit of software interesting as a way of getting a snapshot of conditions. You can pick and choose from the stations it pulls the METAR data from".

MP what a great bit of software, really useful........Thanks