Thread: Hello from Eastern Canada

Default Hello from Eastern Canada

Hello UK Paddlers;

I live in New Brunswick Canada, and am close (by Canadian standards anyway) to some world class paddling spots; Kejimkujik National Park, St.Croix waterway, and dozens of other rivers and lakes. Even my local area offers lots of good day paddle and weekend trips. I used to be involved with horses but now am a paddler through and through but I found that a lot of the skills were transferable from one hobby to the next.
    My family is from the UK and I learned from an uncle on a recent visit to Canada about the right to float debate. I sure hope you guys win that one.
    Other than paddling, I also make one piece canoe paddles and sell them (a few per year anyhow) and also make other wilderness gear as well, although it’s more traditional than modern (Canvas packs, stuff like that). I also get the occasional boat fixing job when people have accidents.
    Another skill that I grew up taking for granted is Bushcraft (as it is called in the UK). I learned all that stuff from my grandfather and just thought everyone knew how to live and survive outdoors, but I see there is a resurgence of traditional skills, particularly in the UK where people are eager to learn new things about nature.
    If anyone ever wants to come to Canada and go paddling for a week or so in New Brunswick’s back woods, let me know.

Welcome to Song of the Paddle

When you first signed up I could not understand how a Canadian had an English phrase for a user name but now I guess it must be from your family connections.

The access problems do not exist for Scotland but England and Wales have a lot of catching up to do.

I have already seen a photo of some of your handiwork on the Duluth alternative thread and look forward to seeing some of your paddles as well (have you seen our paddle making tutorial thread?).

I am sure most of us would love to come paddle with you sometime, The problems being time and finances but I am sure some members will take you up on your offer some time.

And again welcome.
    John

Blimey! I would have sworn you were a geordie with that handle. What a surprise to find you are across the big pond.

Nice to see you here, welcome and jump right in.

Eric

I would have sworn you were a geordie with that handle.
    There are a lot of landed Geordies in this part of Canada but my kin are from Loch Rannoch area (way back in time), more recently from Glasgow, and Derbyshire. I still have close ties with most of them inspite of never having visited the UK.

Are you near Pictou? I've just ordered one of those famous Canadian 'Boat knives' from there.

I live in Riverview New Brunswick which is about 2 hours drive from Pictou Nova Scotia the next province over. That is where a lot of the original Scots in the area landed in the 1700's. The Grohmann knife factory is one of the best in the world http://www.grohmannknives.com/ and another must stop and see in Pictou is Relics Pub. I have been known to drive the 2 hours just because I had a craving for their fish and chips. The shop has a scratch and dent sale as well as a make your own knife kit for those that like to personalize them. If anyone ever wanted one, I go to the factory a couple times per year. You could save a lot off of the price by picking it up and having it shipped as a gift to avoid duty. I am not sure how we would do a money transfer and all that but direct from the factory I have seen good knives for $50 or less Canadian. I think that is about 25-30 pounds.

Good stuff. I ordered a Grohmann boat knife kit which with shipping cost me 60 canadian dollars (about £30) and I may have to pay 17.5% UK tax on that (tax is charged on everything over £18, IIRC, though often small packets go through without charge).

I tried a friends Grohmann boat knife and was very impressed indeed. I want it for general camping but I believe you can get a part serrated version for rope.