Thread: Wanted: Wenonah metal seat hanger(s)

Default Wanted: Wenonah metal seat hanger(s)

I'm looking for a Wenonah seat hanger. Not to hang a seat, but to modify for hanging a removable kneeling thwart.

I got as far as producing hangers in cherry (very nice) and then thought, hang on, a cut-down wenonah plate would be stronger, smaller and lighter, albeit less aesthetically pleasing.

So, any of you WeeNoNo-seat-hanger-haters out there want to sell one (or possibly 2)?

Cheers

Ian

No hangers here, but I'd be interested to see some pics of your mods....
    Chris

Hi Ian
    I have some metal seat hangers in my Wenonah and am planning on replacing them with wooden ones instead. I have no idea where to get them or how much they are but if you can hold on until then you can have mine

Thumbs up

Hi Rich
    That would be great, thanks. Just so happens that in looking at kneeling thwart variations, I came across a lot of wooden seat hanger kits:
    Endless River
    Bear Creek Adventure
    White Water Consultancy (shop down at the moment, so couldn't get the exact page)
    Brookbank

Chrish: will try to get pics, but have to get a new camera first since ours was last sighted at the Balvaig put-in on the Strathyre trip.

Cheers
    Ian

Journal Entries

Any aluminum angle ("L" shaped) would work. Do you know of an aluminum extrusion plant nearby? They would have something like this. If nothing else, get a piece of aluminum square tubing and rip it length-wise at diagonal corners.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Yes I could use any aluminium angle, it's just WNN seat hangers seem to be a good source of correctly sized plates. And it seems everyone else hates them so there must be a mounting pile of unused ones somewhere ! Recycling and all that.

I hadn't thought of ripping a square tube, though - and I can think of project where that would be useful.... Thanks!

Cheers

Ian

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunadal View Post
    Yes I could use any aluminium angle, it's just WNN seat hangers seem to be a good source of correctly sized plates. And it seems everyone else hates them so there must be a mounting pile of unused ones somewhere ! Recycling and all that.

I hadn't thought of ripping a square tube, though - and I can think of project where that would be useful.... Thanks!

Cheers

Ian
    Just trying to help you save a buck, but if they are recycle - that would probably be cheaper yet.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove wenonah seat hangers intact without removing the gunwales. I assumed they hooked over the gunwale section internally at the top, and had to be slotted on from the ends before fitting the gunwales, but maybe they are just hung from the gunwale rivets. I must have a closer look.

I had thought about doing the same thing when I replace our broken centre seat with a quick release kneeling thwart. If you happen to come across a stockpile of dicarded brackets somewhere let me know.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove wenonah seat hangers intact without removing the gunwales. I assumed they hooked over the gunwale section internally at the top
    There was a discussion of this a while back, and I think the final outcome was that they aren't hooked over (though a previous version might have been) and so can just be dropped out.

I've just found the thread:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...=2545&post=#10

Ian

You could try contacting Venture, they use metal hangers (which just attach under the gunnel), but recycling is cheaper.

I personally like the metal hangers, I've seen a set of wooden hangers break, so it's one less thing to worry about when you're heading towards something munchy.

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    You could try contacting Venture, they use metal hangers
    Thanks, yes, Endless River also stock a similar thing - but it just seems like there's lots of folk taking them out of Wenonahs, so they might as well get used
    Ian

If you can get hold of the we no nah adjustable versions there a real boontry contacting them direct info@wenonah.com
    Regards Retro

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    If you can get hold of the we no nah adjustable versions there a real boontry contacting them direct info@wenonah.com
    Regards Retro
    When I was toying with fitting a centre seat I asked Wenonah about these, but unfortunately they can only be fitted in canoes with enough tumblehome - and the Aurora I've got doesn't have it (I think it's because the bottom of the bracket is angled out towards the hull, not in away from it, but I've only seen them in the distance so not sure).

Anyway, I think I'd prefer cutting up an ordinary hanger rather than their super-duper expensive one. I'd still like to try one fitted to a seat one of these days though!

Ian

I'd still like to try one fitted to a seat one of these days though!
    Trust me there good
    Regards Retro

Quote Originally Posted by sunadal View Post
    When I was toying with fitting a centre seat I asked Wenonah about these, but unfortunately they can only be fitted in canoes with enough tumblehome - and the Aurora I've got doesn't have it (I think it's because the bottom of the bracket is angled out towards the hull, not in away from it, but I've only seen them in the distance so not sure).

Anyway, I think I'd prefer cutting up an ordinary hanger rather than their super-duper expensive one. I'd still like to try one fitted to a seat one of these days though!

Ian
    Believe it or not they are as cheap as chips so why not try anyway? I'm going to fit some adjstables to a H15, but might have to get a bit inventive. As usual. Especially as I'm going to use a Novacraft seat which is wider.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Have you tried speak to Richard at Outdoor Active, he is the importer for Wenonah and would possibly have the parts that you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Have you tried speak to Richard at Outdoor Active, he is the importer for Wenonah and would possibly have the parts that you wanted.

That's one of the fall-back plans, if I can't get a surplus one. I have an aversion to getting something new just to cut it up - seems like a waste if there's unwanted ones kicking about...natural Scottish thrift, or something lik ethat