Thread: Primus stove problem

Default Primus stove problem

Hi just wandered if i'm doing someting wrong with my stove i bought a primus gravity in 2006 i've not used it much it's a dual fuel jobby i'm using petrol at the moment but after the initial start up as per instructions it just goes out could the jet be blocked would i be better using white gas? also every time i remove the fuel pipe from the pump it destroys the o ring and they're not cheap so i've stopped using it and feel a little p*!$d off with it as it has not been used much and my cheapo screw on gas bottle job never let me down .any advice?
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

About now some detailed photos would be handy...

I'm guessing that this is the version of the gravity stove which takes either screw-on gas bottles, or a sigg bottle and the primus pump.

I'd check the pump, very carefully, for burrs or nicks, 'cos it shouldn't scrap an O-ring every time.

Does it run OK on Gas? (Britspeak warning - propane/butane mix)

Probably the best place for this query is "Spiritburner", but in my experience if you are using boggo unleaded, and the stove won't run, then White gas is not going to cure the problem.

Yeah sorry it takes the sig type bottles. i'll try to get some pics done n give it one more try you never know the good gremlins may have fixed it.
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Quick update first part was my fault i may have over filled the bottle . but just put a new o-ring on and greased it but it still shreaded on the first use. where is the best place to get this checked?

Quote Originally Posted by bbDave View Post
    Quick update first part was my fault i may have over filled the bottle . but just put a new o-ring on and greased it but it still shreaded on the first use. where is the best place to get this checked?
    You are now officially doomed.

Spiritburner they are friendly - but you will end your days searching vainly for an Optimus #9.

i got a reply from MEC the other day regarding this problem they told me it was common and the only trhing to was to keep replacing the o-ring so not a good result at all .

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Try your local independent plumbers merchant for O-rings.
    You may find that they have a big box of all kinds of sizes.

Granted tho' - that might be just my local independent plumbers merchants...

I would either contact Primus head office in Sweden www.primus.se (go to the bottom and select english) or send it back to MEC for a refund. I would think Primus would be the way to go. They should be happy to stnad by their product even though you bought it in Canada.

Sorry this is going to sound really dumb-You are detaching the right end of the hose? I can't remember how it all goes together but does the hose normally detatch from the bottle (and stay with the stove) or detatch from the stove (and stay with the bottle) Some manufacturers do it one way others do the opposite.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

I have sent an email thanks Chris and await the response.I have tried other o-rings but they are all to hard and make plugging the pipe in impossible plus it doesn't resolve the problem or fault with the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by bbDave View Post
    I have sent an email thanks Chris and await the response.I have tried other o-rings but they are all to hard and make plugging the pipe in impossible plus it doesn't resolve the problem or fault with the pump.
    Is this the stove where the pipe fitting screws onto the pump, or for use with gas cylinders, on to the top of the lindal valve?

Which O-Ring is failing? - the big one between the pump body and the sig - or the little one inside the screw fitting? and what exactly is chewing it up?

Heard from primus today they have told me that i have a pump that is out of tollerance as the hole is not round and they will replace the pump free of charge and they no longer use the blue o-rings so i'm looking forward to getting a new pump

got my new pump today so all is fine and dandy now. top service from primus they couldn't have been more helpfull