Thread: Autumn Soup

Default Autumn Soup

I like to make a thick soup that will stick to your ribs come autumn or winter.

In a small kettle, cook 1/4 cup wild rice until grains open (15 minutes with hand parched - 30 minutes with farm rice). Drain and set aside.

Heat a pound of fresh or frozen green beans in a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon kettle, remove from kettle.

Fry a 3/4 pound of bacon, cut into small pieces, in the kettle, set bacon aside, leave grease in kettle and add three tablespoons flour, teaspoon and a 1/2 salt, and half teaspoon pepper. Stir so flour, etc, is mixed with grease. Add six cups milk, bring to a boil, and boil for one minute, stirring as needed, remove from heat. Makes a thin white sauce.

Mix in bacon, wild rice, and green beans with white sauce, bring whole concoction to a boil, remove from heat and serve. Serves four to six, depending on how hungry.

You can add some chedder cheese too, if you like.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Soften up some hard tack to go with it and you wouldn't need to eat again until spring. I make something similar with barley that is thick almost like oatmeal.

You got me hungry now.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Even I use some of these ingredients.

Barley and/or rice work very well in that soup-stew crossover meal that's for sure. I use a lot of legumes of one sort or another (field beans), and being a kinda pre-medievalist at heart, I use lots of onion and no salt, although I'd imagine potato would work to thicken soup quite nicely too if you let it go on that far.