Thread: Loch Lomond 5th May

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default Loch Lomond 5th May

Start point Aldochlay bay 5pm Friday 5th May...

Woweee what an evening that was! The loch was like a millpond and the evening was warm and sunny. Paddled with the good lady north around Inchtavannach and then between the straits at Inchonnochan and around the south side of Inchonnochan to the bay. Stopped off for a stretch and to have a brew. Very friendly folk in cabin cruisers with tents throughout the islands, too much rubbish too! Still there was a sense of wilderness away from the honey pot bays and cabin cruisers. Paddled up the east side of the island and then west back to Ardlochlay bay at sunset. what a beautiful evenings paddle. Saw some nice trout rising too. no other cnaoes or kayaks out as far as I could see.

The whole evening the water was like a millpond, the water was freezing though! Wowee nights like this are amazing!

Has anyone tried fishing on loch Lomond? If so have you had much success?

Cheers

Woodsmoke
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

It is a lovely bit of the world and on a still evening almost perfect. The almost part coming from the crowds of cabin cruiser folk. Pleasant enough people but they do detract from the wilderness feel.

Did you get parked okay? The lay-by gets a bit busy at this time of the year.
    John

Default hello

Yup, we got parked okay, there were two cars already in the layby but there was room for another 2 at a push.

I think the next we go, we shall camp on one of the other islands away from the cabin cruisers. I say we get some stealth torpedoes or limpet mines to take them out next time!

"We stand for what we stand on" (or paddle in) The monkey wrench gang... (Edward Abbey by the way incase you never knew but I suspect that you do!)

On another topic, I quite fancy doing a clean up on some parts of the loch, is anyone interested?

Woodsmoke

A clean up day would be a good idea and one I would support. Unfortunately I think we will need big canoes. It would probably be worth talking to the national park authority about it to see if they will arrange for collection of the rubbish from a drop off point. I expect if we spent a half day to day at it that we would have more rubbish than we could fit in our cars.

Plus as much as a good deed is its own reward it does no harm for Sotp members to have some brownie points in the bank for later requests
    John

Great idea to have a Loch Lomond clean up. Last year on a windless sailing club training day the kids and their pirate leaders led an assault on the island fortress of Bucinch. We were unfortunately beaten back by literally millions of 'hostile natives' , but not before we'd collected several bin bags full of, ahem, 'treasure'!

It's amazing what people dump on the islands - we found a rusty car wheel and tyre for example - so selfish. If you do go for it, let me know, as I'm sure for such a good cause, I could borrow a motor boat to act as a bin lorry.

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Default Loch Lomond clean up

Hi folks, I've been in touch with a friend who works as a ranger on the loch to ask about the feasability of support on a clean up if we decide to go ahead with this.

I only get one weekend off every month, so I'd love to be able to do it on a weekend when most others could?

I'll post the ins and outs from the National Park Authority when they get back to me one this and we can take it from there...

cheers

Woodsmoke

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke
    I'll post the ins and outs from the National Park Authority when they get back to me one this and we can take it from there...

cheers

Woodsmoke
    When you hear it would probably be best to post the info on a new thread so more people see it.
    John

When are we going to see the pictures??

WE WANT PICTURES