Thread: Canada - On my way!

Default Canada - On my way!

Finally done it - got flights, booked trip and I am off to canada. 10 days on up to grade 2 water - should be interesting!

I am going with Northern Soul (http://www.northernsoul.ca). There are spaces on it if anybody else fancies it. We are doing the garamon (sp?) followed by the bloodvein - flying in on a float plane (how cool! - boy I am sad). we are flying out on the second June, back on the 16th (arriving on the 17th). if anyone at a loose end get in contact.

Now just getting some hours in to harden up and get fit. I will report back. Now I have to sort out kit to take - expect questions!

Last time I was that way we flew in using a float plane with skis fitted, as it was winter. Landing on ice is well............interesting. But I bet landing on water will be way better!!!!!!!!!!

How's about giving us a clue on the cost involved? Maybe I could say no to that new bike???
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BeardyWeirdy
    Finally done it - got flights, booked trip and I am off to canada. 10 days on up to grade 2 water - should be interesting!

I am going with Northern Soul (http://www.northernsoul.ca). There are spaces on it if anybody else fancies it. We are doing the garamon (sp?) followed by the bloodvein - flying in on a float plane (how cool! - boy I am sad). we are flying out on the second June, back on the 16th (arriving on the 17th). if anyone at a loose end get in contact.

Now just getting some hours in to harden up and get fit. I will report back. Now I have to sort out kit to take - expect questions!
    One of my favorite spots! Woods Caribou country is what the BWCA was like when I was a kid. I haven't heard about last year, but two years ago they had 900 people through Woods Caribou in the entire season. It is about 350 miles from my front door.

I go through an outfitter out of Red Lake, Ontario,

www.goldseekers.net

For bunk, breakfast, and shower, the night before, Many miles haul in (on roads you'd never want to drive your own vehicle), tents, map, haul out (over the same many miles of bad road), bunk, breakfast, and shower before you leave - he charges $108. Best thing is, going through him, I don't have to pay crown camping fee. He also does fly ins to Bloodvein, Berens, Pidgeon, Throat, Severn, and Sutton Rivers, but the cost is much more.

I believe the river you are referring to is the "Gammon."
    Last edited by pierre girard; 6th-May-2006 at 05:42 AM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Costs are about 1000 for the trip, all in and flights are 500 ish. That includes the local flights, trip back and hotels at either end and a guide. If you want more info I have a pdf about the trip I could send.

Default Gammon in June

Watch out for the bugs! Blackflies are like midges on steroids. Any gap and they'll work their way in and chew a hole right through your skin. Seen them bathing in neat bug repellant so make sure you've got a good head net etc.

Get hold of the guide book written by Hap Wilson on Manitoba Rivers if you want to read a detailed guide.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

I guess without them there would be no wilderness! Thanks for the advice