Thread: Veni Vidi Natavi

Default Veni Vidi Natavi

I'm a dark side (kayak) boater from Edinburgh who has been dabbling in open boats for years with the classic it's just a big kayak with half a paddle attitude, how hard can it be? Quite hard, as it turns out.

I finally went on a 2* course and got some proper tuition (thanks Beyond Adventure) and have been getting steadily more into it ever since. Managed to find a second hand Mobile Adventure Prospector and now just trying to find the time to get out.

I'm an active member of Edinburgh Kayak Club which, despite the name, does have an underground canoe section. If anyone is interetsed in joing us, fell free to come along.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Journal Entries

Hi Urchaidh, welcome on board!

Just googled your signature, and I like it! However, surely it should be "Veni Natavi Vici" ?

By the way, what does Urchaidh mean? - I take it it's a place name? (apologies if I'm being totally ignorant?!)

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

• Veni Vidi Natatve == I came, I saw, I swam
    • Veni Natavi Vici == I came, I swam, I conquered.
    The former is far more appropriatte to my paddling style.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack
    By the way, what does Urchaidh mean? - I take it it's a place name?
    It's the original Gaelic spelling of 'Orchy', my favourite river.

I'm not sure about the sanity of the classic section for opens, but the lower orchy from below Eas Urchaidh to Dalmaly is a lovely paddle that I've kayaked running beginners trips a few times. Anyone canoed it?
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Journal Entries

Welcome to Song of the Paddle. I am sure one you have had time to savor the joys of a proper canoe you will be able to sell on your kayak without so much as a passing regret

Welcome again and any questions just let me know.

Default Welcome aboard -

Good to see your postings.

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh
    I'm not sure about the sanity of the classic section for opens, but the lower orchy from below Eas Urchaidh to Dalmaly is a lovely paddle that I've kayaked running beginners trips a few times. Anyone canoed it?

We have paddled from below the weir which is just down from the last really nasty falls. We ran it the first time in tripping mode, into the Loch and down to the River Awe, with an overnighter on one of the islands.

The second time we were in play mode, paddling tandem in a Rogue (first time out). The water level was much higher second time round, and that improved matters.

I am planning on doing the whole thing from the top Loch, but will be portaging the obvious nasties.

I am told that an open canoe OC1 has run the whole thing.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Default Veni Vidi Natavi

Hi,

I have a link on my works PC for the video footage of the OC1. I will try and sort this coming week. I think a Prelude is a good boat for this run. Last time I did it in an old T Canyon (K) I didn't really notice the drops in that too much, ace boat.

I think a good paddler in an OC1 rigged Super Nova would do it ok with good bank support and a video camera TB. I would even take time off work to play.

PB

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1
    I am planning on doing the whole thing from the top Loch, but will be portaging the obvious nasties.
    Interesting proposition. I'd guess you're probably going to need to catch it somewhere between 1 and 2 feet on the Bridge Of Orchy gauge to get enough water to run the upper section (above BoA) and not too much for the middle.

From a kayak point of view, when the upper section from Loch Tulla down to Bridge of Orchy is 'up' (3'+?) the main event between Bridge of Orchy and 'Witches Pool' is a big old mess of fun, but not a place I'd like top be in an OC.

Again, I suspect my perceptions need shifting as I probably don't think an OC (in the hands of a skilled paddler) is as cabable in big white water as it really is. Anyone got any good pictures of an OC is big III/IV to put me right?
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh
    Again, I suspect my perceptions need shifting as I probably don't think an OC (in the hands of a skilled paddler) is as cabable in big white water as it really is. Anyone got any good pictures of an OC is big III/IV to put me right?
    Well, not me. Most of my canoeing is wilderness canoeing - the essence of which is to take as few chances as possible - as it is always a very long walk back to the trailhead.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water