Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woodgas stove

Default woodgas stove

a friend put me on to this site as he has one of these stoves
    i am going to order myself one from santa having seen video of them on youtube
    what do others think of them
    andy
    www.woodgas-stoves.com
    nature is m X-box

This is the correct link.

I don't understand how they work. Their website doesn't actually address the operating principle.
    Last edited by KeithD; 1st-November-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    Keith

thanks for the correct link
    i not very good at this sort of thing
    if you keep scrolling down the site it explains how it works
    and there are vids on youtube
    im told its a bit like a blast furnace principle
    or something like that all i know is that ive had a good report from a friend
    nature is m X-box

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

It'll work by collecting the the volatile materials that are driven off as the wood burns, and then burning those grasses as a fuel.

It's a principle used in making charcoal too (like they've done here).

I do this (in principle) when I reduce pine resin down for glue, although there I just flash it off, which is more spectacular and I guess perhaps a bit more risky ...

Ah! (penny drops!)

I couldn't figure out what the battery was doing but it's just driving a fan isn't it.
    Keith

All you folk who haven't ever built a fire in a tin can - listen up - fires are dangerous, the smoke can drive off midges, people will waste hours just sitting around them yakking and it is possible to set fire to your marshmallow stash.

So let's be careful out there

That looks super! I'd love to hear how you get on with it

bloody hell, thats a clever little piece of kit, and as the dollar isnt worth much, theyre cheap to buy too. anyone in the uk selling them do you know? i quite fancy one of them!!
    sod work, im off for a paddle.

actually i was just wondering if anybody else wanted one and if there was enough then it might reduce postage
    having said that im not about to start shipping them round the uk
    maybe to the jan lakes meet or something like that.
    if its ok by Mk i could suggest to the maker that they look at this site and bcuk ( you never know they may come up trumps with an offer)
    nature is m X-box

Default want one

well shall we start a list, and when we know how many, contact them, they claim to offer a discount for more than one order, and it might bring the shipping cost down.
    so i want one!!

Default Home made woodgas stovee

It's realy quite easy to make a woodgas stove from a couple of metal paint tins. I made one using two paint tins one larger than the other so they fit inside each other. I cut a hole in the lide of the larger one so that the smaller one fits tightly into it. The smaller tin you just bore a series of small holes around the lower edge and then another around the top edge. The bigger tin I cut eight 1/2 inch holes around the bottom.

To light it you use very small dry sticks laid flat on the bottom of the small tin. When you light them the smoke (which contains hydrogen and methane) is pushed out the lower side holes and because heat rises this hot gas travels up between the inner and outer tin exiting throught the top holes in the smaller tin. The gas then eventually ignites. This is very efficient if done right and very smoky if the air holes in the outer tin are not the right size. Needs a bit of experimenting. It's quite cool to see the bluish jets of gas burning as they come out the top holes. My paint tin woodgas stove will boil a litre of water in about 8 minutes.

This page will be left open, for the wife to view in a hint hint add one to my christmas list kinda way. Because its burning off the gas am I right in thinking it dose'nt produce a lot of smoke or blacken pans?
    Regards Retro

hi retro
    im told there is very little smoke or blacking of pans
    i actually though about it as a cooker/heater in a large canvas tent in the winter without getting red eyes from smoke in a tent
    before anyone suggests it i cant afford a teepee and associated stoves etc and this seems a good alternative
    nature is m X-box

I have tried to make several woodgas stoves and eventually bought one of these Bushbuddy Stoves from Canada. I got this primarily for lightweight backpacking as it wieghs the same as a 250 gas cylinder and burns free fuel! I used this successfully for 5 days in North Wales last month where it was my only stove. Some pan blackening as it is not always possible to get/use very dry and good quality fuel.
    I will can post some pics etc if people want and did take some video footage as well (sad git!). I also experimented in the new forest and wales with various fuels including woody stalks of heather, which burnt quite well.

Nigel
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    ...I will can post some pics etc if people want...

Yes please.
    Chris

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Lots of technical info and diagrams on these stoves and how to make them.
    http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html
    http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...odgasStove.pdf
    Chris

so it looks like just me and possibly johnr then?
    any other takers?
    ill leave it a week then order for those that want one or else we can just get our own.
    nature is m X-box

whilst the home made paint tin ones are pretty good i like the compactness of this, probably largely due to the fan so im going to get one of these. definately .

Default woodgas stove

i want one as well i like new toys.

Id like one too please! I'll be at the Jan lakes meet if thats any help

I will have one Andy but if its a hassle just let me know and I will get my own. How do you want payment?
    Regards Retro

so far we have
    me
    jonhr
    fern
    lottie.lou
    retro
    i was thinking of the lakes meet in january to distribute to save any hassle with delivery costs etc
    unless someone wants theirs earlier of course
    as i said i will give it till the weekend then email the company to see if they can do any discount etc and see what happens
    pm me if that is ok or further suggestions
    ill let you know the response from the company early next week
    andy
    nature is m X-box

I'll have one too.

If anyone wants to order one individually, I emailed them and they said that postage to the UK would be about $17.80.

ask em about the solar charging packs for the batterys too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    ask em about the solar charging packs for the batterys too.
    Oh yes I like the look of those too!

Andy,

Do you consider it appropriate to distribute malware via your signature in this forum (Smileycentral)?

http://www.castlecops.com/postt63087.html

I know you might make a few cents as an 'partner', but I consider it a bit poor to inflict it on other members of this community.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Andy,

Do you consider it appropriate to distribute malware via your signature in this forum (Smileycentral)?

http://www.castlecops.com/postt63087.html

I know you might make a few cents as an 'partner', but I consider it a bit poor to inflict it on other members of this community.

Matt
    dont know what you mean by malware
    i do use smiley central to put smilies on my posts if thats what you mean. if that means that they have distributed someting via my use of their smilies i had no idea that this was happening
    ii certainly dont advertise it and dont make a penny from it and had never considered it
    i use this site for canoe purposes only.
    and im sure the moderators of this site would have mentioned it to me if there was a problem, after all thats what they are therefore and they do an excellent job. and if you have an issue with it i suggest you talk to them. if you are a moderator then i suggest you should have pmed me about the matter before putting it on a thread about stoves
    Last edited by andym; 7th-November-2007 at 03:38 PM.
    nature is m X-box

Default dont Pm

DONT pm Andy M we all want to know whats blown up your skirt, do it in the open so we can all have a laugh at those who can see no futher than monitary gain,i thought this site was about fellow paddlers thinkin togather lookin at ideas and talkin them through ,maybe we dont want to c if people trim and outfit thier boats just incase someone has intersets in B&Q ,I myself have Boots shares so if in future i mention any meds then i look forward to being told off quite a lot .as for now i'm sure that appologises 2will come floodin to andy m eh MattW(lets hope)

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    DONT pm Andy M we all want to know whats blown up your skirt, do it in the open so we can all have a laugh at those who can see no futher than monitary gain,i thought this site was about fellow paddlers thinkin togather lookin at ideas and talkin them through ,maybe we dont want to c if people trim and outfit thier boats just incase someone has intersets in B&Q ,I myself have Boots shares so if in future i mention any meds then i look forward to being told off quite a lot .as for now i'm sure that appologises 2will come floodin to andy m eh MattW(lets hope)
    Well said Warthog, I was having a quick look at work this afternoon to see if anyone else was getting a stove, saw the post and thought eh what where the hells all that come from and why.
    Regards Retro

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    so far we have
    me
    jonhr
    fern
    lottie.lou
    retro
    i was thinking of the lakes meet in january to distribute to save any hassle with delivery costs etc
    unless someone wants theirs earlier of course
    as i said i will give it till the weekend then email the company to see if they can do any discount etc and see what happens
    pm me if that is ok or further suggestions
    ill let you know the response from the company early next week
    andy
    plus the cumbrian then that makes 6 in total

on the site 5+ stoves comes out at 42.45$ each
    solar charger is 22.5$
    assuming no delivery discount for bulk at a price of 17$ per stove that equals 59.5$ each stove plus tax at 17.5%
    equals approx 70$ plus carrier charge what ever that may be?
    how does that sound to those interested?
    this is an approx price and any other cost to be shared equally plus postage from me to you in the uk unless you can wait for the lakes weekend in jan which i will go to
    andy
    solar charger on top of this obviously
    nature is m X-box

no probs, let me know when they let you know and i can either paypal the money to you (i will add enough to cover your paypal fees) or post you a cheque, whatever is easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    no probs, let me know when they let you know and i can either paypal the money to you (i will add enough to cover your paypal fees) or post you a cheque, whatever is easier for you.
    Ditto. May I never have to buy gas again. I'll have one of the solar chargers too please.

Cheers, Michael.

Yeah that sounds fine Andy, Just a stove for me NO charger
    Many thanks retro

I have one of those actual WoodGas brand stoves...it's really a blaster! If you're planning on cooking with wood, it's THE BEST!! They don't smoke at all and with that little fan, it's a mini-forge for sure. I bought mine about the beginning of the summer and I've used it alot with various burnable stuff like twigs, leaves, woodchips, even charcoal, and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by kmystry View Post
    I have one of those actual WoodGas brand stoves...it's really a blaster! If you're planning on cooking with wood, it's THE BEST!! They don't smoke at all and with that little fan, it's a mini-forge for sure. I bought mine about the beginning of the summer and I've used it alot with various burnable stuff like twigs, leaves, woodchips, even charcoal, and it works great.
    Do they go through the fuel really quickly?

I'd like a stove and charger if thats ok. Let me know how you would like paying. Thanks a lot

Default woodgas stove

i will have a stove and charger please, will try and get time of for meet if not will have to post you cheque to cover all costs let me know cheers fern.

stove only
    me
    johnr
    retro
    stove plus solar charger
    cumbrian
    lottielou
    fern
    speak now to change the order
    i will order on monday
    (im going away for a couple of weeks so they will be delivered to my daughters)
    when i get back i will post on the blog and you decide how you want to get them
    if you want me to post them to you then i will do so, and let you know the cost by pm, you can then send me a cheque or wait till the jan lakes weekend which i hope to go to
    ( starts to rub hands in anticipation)
    andy
    nature is m X-box

hi andy, i want a charger as well please. money here waiting.

Hi Andy,

I'll take the charger with no stove if that is possible.

Let me know the costs when you have worked them out.

I'm happy to pay up front. Is PayPal OK?

Cheers,

Huon

order sent today 1015am
    including huon
    will let you all know when they arrive (remember i may be away for a couple of weeks so you will not hear for a while but relax i will get in touch)
    andy
    nature is m X-box

Many Thanks for sorting it all out for us all Andy
    Regards Retro

Yes thankyou very much! Let me know if you would like paying before the meet, I don't want you to be out of pocket

paid with plastic so ok for a good while
    nature is m X-box

Unhappy

Bugger! Been away for a week so didn't know anything about these stoves. I've been scrolling through the posts just now hoping I could catch the order before it went.
    Never mind, at least I can read a few reports from you good people after you've used them in earnest!

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    Bugger! Been away for a week so didn't know anything about these stoves. I've been scrolling through the posts just now hoping I could catch the order before it went.
    Never mind, at least I can read a few reports from you good people after you've used them in earnest!
    Do you go on www.bushcraftuk.com ?
    I'm sure between this site and that one there would be enough people to warrant another group buy. Then you have the advantage of listening to our feedback before you get your own!

im back from hols
    according to mu daughter a parcel has arrived (havent been to see them yet)
    so what do folks want to do ? it seems there are several options
    1 you send me a pm with name and address, i send the stove etc (BY WHATEVER MEANS YOU REQUIRE IE PARCELPOST ,REGISTARED POST ETC)
    i pm you with the total cost and you send me a cheque
    2 if you are passing near to doncastwer ( i live about 10 mins from the A1) you can drop by for a coffee and pick it up , or even get a mate to to it for you you. either pay me then or i pm you with cost as above
    3 ill bring it to the lakes meet in jan and we can sort from there

i will sort final cost when i know how much the import tax was and have converted it all to real money
    ill post up my computations so you can check them
    andy
    your call people
    nature is m X-box

I will pay for mine at the the lakes meet if thats ok, if you want it sorting out sooner let me know, once again many thanks Andy
    Regrads Retro

It would have to be option one for me but I don't think it is fair for me to pay you after you have sent the charger rather than before.

If you let me know the cost including delivery and your address before you post I will send you a cheque.

Cheers,

Huon

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I will pay for mine at the the lakes meet if thats ok, if you want it sorting out sooner let me know, once again many thanks Andy
    Regrads Retro
    see you at the lakes then
    nature is m X-box

I would like to collect mine at the Lakes meet please. Thanks again for doing this! If you would like paying before then send me a PM with your address or paypal info and I'll send it over to you.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but the gas that is burning at the holes at top of stove could be CO (carbon monoxide). It's a long time since I did O-Level/Higher Physics but I think CO burns with a blue flame, as somebody described. This would indicate there is insufficient air to burn fuel completely in bottom of stove but the fan blows more air to the top of stove to mix with the gas/smoke given off which then burns like a gas stove.

My memory is taunting me with the realisation that I know what the name that was given to this gas, (it's not called CO/carbon monoxide).
    Anyone else know? Manifold gas or something similar?

Producer gas!!!
    Last edited by jokipea; 4th-December-2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Added name of gas

Quote Originally Posted by jokipea View Post

Producer gas!!!
    As part of the WaterGas/ProducerGas process from second year science.....

Blast furnace gas

Sometimes this forum can be really informative. I'm sure we didn't do any of this in second year science so I'm completing my education now.

Thanks
    Keith

So does that mean its even better for the environment then just burning wood?

Heres a link to a site thats goes into quite a bit of detail as well as the history of this type of combustion. I was reading up on it and other sites when I came across the woodgas stove, great piece of kit, its supposed to be batch fed, but if your running out of fuel, it will still work if you load it up again, especially with the fan going, just not as efficiently.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    As part of the WaterGas/ProducerGas process from second year science.....

Blast furnace gas
    You did that in 2nd year, no wonder I couldn't remember, that's 40 odd years ago for me. My memory was playing tricks and when I wrote manifold gas I was thinking water was used when making it. Found the link to Utube on the "It's Not Easy Being Green" website which gave me producer gas, as soon as I saw the word producer I remembered the Physics lesson we did this. One hour 40+ years ago and I remembered some of it, but not enough unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jokipea View Post
    You did that in 2nd year, no wonder I couldn't remember, that's 40 odd years ago for me. ....
    You throw enough mud and some of it sticks - but a lot falls off - I can't remember the name of the science teacher we had the year before - just the nickname, "Duky" (that's Duke not Duck).

So if anyone else was at School in Jedburgh in the mid sixties - what was his name?

my stove and charger came today, thanks to andym, looks a quality bit of kit. going to test fire it tommorrow to see how it fares. then i think i need to go out for a days paddling to maks sure it works propperly !!!!

once again though thanks to andym, he's sent this out to me at his own risk, because he still doesnt know how much each unit is going to end up costing. so ive still not paid for the stove, charger and the postage. thats a great deal of trust to have in a complete stranger, and highly commendable andy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast