Thread: River access Part-2

Default River access Part-2

It's arrived, still in its plastic wrapper:

Please ignore the weeds I am creating a new shrub bed and have only cut the out the shape so far!

Time to check out my new steps and get it in the water...............

All ok so far. Wow this is exciting. Ok PFD on and paddle at the ready, time to get in and paddle

Boy it's hard work paddling uptream against the wind, must be my poor technique, I am more used to two blades in the surf............oh well practice, practice, practice.

Nearly home after a couple hours of fun:

The building you can see in my garden is made from old sleepers, reclaimed wood from pallets and glass from a disused greenhouse.....pretty rough but serves a purpose, ie having a drink in the evening and watching out for the Kingfisher [always seems to fly by at roughly the same time every evening]

Anyway I love the canoe and apologise now, for all the questions I am likely to ask about kit, techniques etc

Cheers

Sprout

Default River access part II

Hi Sprout

If thats your back garden I will be up at the weekend camping on your patio . Seriously, lovely spot, what river are you on?

Jim

Excellent-very jealous

Looks like the Wye?

Bet you are going to be like all river frontage landowners and place signs up 'no camping' 'no mooring-except SOTP forum members' and other owners of green Mad River canoes, oh just like me!

It's the River Wey, which is navigable for 19 miles from the River Thames at Weybridge to Godalming

Happy for any SOTP member to drop buy for a paddle, just pm me if you are in the South East.
    Last edited by Sprout; 4th-May-2006 at 09:35 PM.

Journal Entries

Looks like an ideal spot. Probably one of the few paddlers who does not need a roof rack, still you will be trying other water as well I am sure.

So how you feel about your new canoe now you actually have it?

Hi Sprout,

I am not sure exactly where you live however I suspect you probably bought your new pride and joy from the White Water Canoe Canoe centre in Shepperton? If so why didn't you paddle home?

I must admit, just living a little further downstream on the Thames I was very tempted however at the time my technique was very rusty and therefore I chickened out in the end.

You must tell me where I can find the entrance to the River Wey, I know the Wey Navigation however I don't really fancy that as there are too many locks to negotiate - about 1 per mile I think.

Hopefully see you on the Thames or even the Wey - we've got a green OT Allagash. Alternatively if you're paddling with family drop me PM so we can arrange a meet

Andy

Sprout - are you telling us that this is your back garden? You lucky lucky b*****d!

I see you are a Bath supporter. I live just outside of Bath but I'm a Bristol lad really. Come on Briz!

Seriously though - you have a great back garden / river frontage there. Looks ideal. All the best.

Journal Entries

Looks like a great piece of property and a great canoe and canoeing site.

Looks like the new steps are holding up well.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water