Thread: Advice on this course?

Default Advice on this course?

http://www.birchcanoes.com/

thinking about going down to build myself a canoe, I haven't got the knowledge or space to try one on my own at home!

Has anyone here on SOTP been on this course, or built a JEM canoe?

Please let me know what you think, is this going to be worth spending the money on for my first ever canoe?

Paul

Hull looks very flat which wouldn't give handling characteristics I'd want. How much are the courses?

No real valuable advice about this course other than I had considered it my self.

If I remember correctly, you can potentially use any number of plans or even choose your own. If this is the case its worth doing some research and finding a plan you really like, then talking it through with them.

There are loads of designs you can buy or even for free if you do a search on google and I'm sure there are many threads on designs on this site too..

DanDan

You will surprise yourself if you try to build one yourself without going on a course. There is so much literature available to help you. I personally don't like the design in the picture (flat section bottom) but I guess you could choose what to build.

Garth

Default Canoe building course

I agree with the above its amazing what imformation and advise that can be found on the net or gained directly from boat designers. Its actually not that difficult to build a canoe from good plans but check whats out there have a look at bearmountain boats .
    good luck

Journal Entries

Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Default Course

If his canoes are built as well as his website I'd think twice!
    I'm having a go at building a eureka canoe (michael storers design) in the garage. Lots of people have built them on the back yard/ lawn/ living room etc. Cant you rent your neighbours shed?
    Go on give it a go, it's surprising what you can achieve with time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    If his canoes are built as well as his website I'd think twice!
    I must admit, I did think the same thing!! Thats the new improved website as well, you should have seen the old one!

Still haven't decided, I need to get out and try as many differant styles as I can I think before I can decide what style/design to go for!

Default Try then buy!

Quote Originally Posted by paullewis View Post
    I must admit, I did think the same thing!! Thats the new improved website as well, you should have seen the old one!

Still haven't decided, I need to get out and try as many differant styles as I can I think before I can decide what style/design to go for!
    I think that's the wisest course of action, and meet the people that are building the canoes, they may be great at canoe building but crap at web design!

Quote Originally Posted by paullewis View Post
    http://www.birchcanoes.com/

thinking about going down to build myself a canoe, I haven't got the knowledge or space to try one on my own at home!

Has anyone here on SOTP been on this course, or built a JEM canoe?

Please let me know what you think, is this going to be worth spending the money on for my first ever canoe?

Paul
    Hi I run BirchCanoes and can quote you some people who have done my course if you like..

"Patient and efficient guidance through a process I was completely unfamiliar with...extremely enjoyable.."

"interesting, satisfying, informative"

"highly enjoyable and worthwhile experience"

These are taken from recent evaluation forms .. there are plenty of other comments from others on my website at http://www.birchcanoes.com/quotes.htm.

Having said that, perhaps what we do would not suit everyone. We are not new to canoe building but we are new to running commercial courses, and although people are delighted with their canoes when they are finished, some people find the process tiring and would perhaps prefer they were putting together a kit.. my course involves you in cutting out every panel, shaping every bit, the lot, so would perhaps not suit someone looking for a "slot-together" approach. I like to encourage individuality, as you can see, every canoe we build is unique...

Contact my on john@birchcanoes.com for a chance to have a play on our river in a range of canoes, with no obligation. Our workshop is just 40 yards from the river.

The canoes themselves have been designed expressly for us by jemwatercraft, they are superbly stable ( ours were the only 4 canoes to stay upright and not capsize in a recent paddle down the Wye with friends, all the plastic canoes tipped over in the rapids).. AND ours are MUCH lighter to carry and load onto your car..

However, there's nothing mysterious about the process, you can build your own canoe at home for half what I charge, at your own pace. With me you complete your canoe and get it on the water in 3 days, which is quite a commitment !

I look forward to hearing from you!

John

Default Sounds like a good deal!

You can't ask fairer than that Paul!
    Go and see what they've got and how they do it.
    Then decide, no obligation.

Go for it mate!

Default Thanks John

Thanks for that John, I have poured over your site many times now, and keep thinking about giving you an email! I'm up in north east Scotland, however I'm down south for January and Feburary, so will take you up on the offer, and come down and try your boats out if thats still ok!

The fact that I have no experiance, and don't really know what kind of canoe to go for for what I want to do, just trying them and having a chat is probably the best place to start!

I will drop you an email some time soon, then hopefully see you next year.

Oh, and I'm not afraid of 3 days hard work! To come out of it with a canoe that I've built myself and am going to have for the rest of my life would be amazing!