Thread: Water centre's Olympic dream sunk

Default Water centre's Olympic dream sunk

Officials in Nottinghamshire say they are disappointed to have been overlooked for the 2012 Olympics.

More...

What did they expect, they're north of Watford.

Does anyone REALLY believe that the Olympics will benefit anyone outside of the south east of England?

But Olympic organisers said they wanted a more central location.

Holme Pierrepont in red - Broxbourne (the chosen site) in yellow.

I hope it does some benefit to the people of London. They are paying for a lot of it.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by bob is my idol View Post
    What did they expect, they're north of Watford.

Does anyone REALLY believe that the Olympics will benefit anyone outside of the south east of England?
    I thought it was the city that bids for the olympics IE: London Olympics not Britains Olympics. Did anyone in the north of greece benefit from the infrastructure built especially for Athens. What was to stop other cities eg: Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc etc bidding for it. (yes I know Manchester had the commonwealth games, which in fact might make a more sensible place for it as they already have a lot of the facilities I guess) but in theory.

As for the benefit I would hope the North South divide thing that seems to exist in our lovely island wouldn't stop youngsters from "the north" being encouraged into sport by the prospect of the olympics being held so (relatively) close to home. (Admittedly I've not noticed much of the so called drive to get people interested and theres only 4 years to go!!)

And I live on the suffolk coast so am considered a southerner by others. although am actually an easterner. But i don't expect to get any benefit interms of facilities from this either.
    sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sheep View Post
    But I don't expect to get any benefit interms of facilities from this either.
    No, but sure as eggs is eggs some of your taxes will go towards it.

What are taxes
    sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell!

Hope that it will be cheaper to visit than the Dome - but that is another White Elephant ( or should that be "story"?)

Quote Originally Posted by The Sheep View Post
    I thought it was the city that bids for the olympics IE: London Olympics not Britains Olympics
    The politicians have been telling us that the London Olympics will benefit the whole of the country, not just London and the south east.

Oh yeah!!

Mind you, I can't blame them for not choosing Weils Central, I certainly wouldn't paddle there.

Have to say that it is the London bid not english bid, what I found odd were people in the other home nations saying that it should be held in some venues there as well. Why? If Scotland had got it, or wales, they would try hard to keep most of it in their countries, and why not! The same applies to english people outside London. You didn't hear London people moaning that their taxes help to build and finance the Commonwealth games in Manchester.

If you were stupid enough to believe the government then I suppose its your own fault but I am just happy that London got it because these all link together to get more and more international events in this country.

Taxes are something else though, taxes go in all directions that you may not agree on so what difference if its the Olympics. I hate ramblers but my taxes go to saving them on lakeland hills when I get no benefit of this (quite the opposite actually).

What I am opposed to is wasted money, the logo is a good example!

Well that sorted that!

Mmmm this sounds a little political but hey-ho.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

I can understand why they may feel a little disapointed but coming from the south east i am looking forwards to a white water venue i could possibly use for a day in the future rather than having to go away for a weekend to get any credable WW paddling in.

in all honesty i think having another olympic standard ww paddle centre in the london area is a bold step that will only premote canoeing to many more people - that in its self cant be a bad thing.

Stuart
    Despite all the racing thoughts on where and when your going somewhere or even why, its when you get there and step back and realise that for all that noise, even in your own head, its the peace and solitude we go out there for and is the most precious

www.Paddleguide.org

Quote Originally Posted by pollitt View Post
    I can understand why they may feel a little disapointed but coming from the south east i am looking forwards to a white water venue i could possibly use for a day in the future
    I suppose you know you wont have a right of access to it.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Pete View Post
    I hate ramblers but my taxes go to saving them on lakeland hills when I get no benefit of this (quite the opposite actually).
    This comment intrigues me Pete. Firstly I don't quite understand your hatred of ramblers, but that's up to you. Secondly they are usually rescued by the Mountain Rescue which receives very little government finance and would be the first team called to a remote canoeing rescue situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Secondly they are usually rescued by the Mountain Rescue which receives very little government finance and would be the first team called to a remote canoeing rescue situation.
    As a former member of a mountain rescue team and search dog handler, I can say with some sincerity that little or no tax payers money goes towards rescueing injured or lost ramblers. All training costs and personal equipment were paid for by myself.

As a rambler - i.e. a walker of our hills, I see no reason why anyone should hate me. I don't wear bright red or yellow clothing and neither leave litter nor start fires!

In that case Bob is my idol is my idol.

I have nothing but praise for the Mountain Rescue.

As a former member of a mountain rescue team and search dog handler, I can say with some sincerity that little or no tax payers money goes towards rescuing injured or lost ramblers. All training costs and personal equipment were paid for by myself.

As a rambler - i.e. a walker of our hills, I see no reason why anyone should hate me. I don't wear bright red or yellow clothing and neither leave litter nor start fires!
    I was talking about the RAF search and rescue not the mountain rescue. I have nothing but admiration for the mountain rescue )and any emergency services). They do great jobs and yes the voluntary ones have the hardest service due to the difficulties in both kit and personnal time.

As for my hatred about ramblers - it was meant semi-lighthearted but can accept this may not have come across. Of course I do not wish anything bad to happen to ramblers but that does not mean I like them.

Perhaps it is not ramblers I dislike but organised ramblers. I have constantly found large groups of them to be discourteous people that seem to think they have the priority to wherever they travel. They do not move aside from paths when having a break or blocking viewpoints, they seem to cause hassle and frankly they have little regard for anyone else.

Plus they seem to believe that anywhere is open for them, I cannot tell you how many I have found in our garden over the years purely because they wanted to either a) see a lakeland house, or, b) see the view form the top of the garden. Perhaps you just get the worse, and I am sure there are plenty of them I never see that are fine, but that does not stop me from having a negative reaction to them, however I do try to be open minded and I do say hello to the small groups and lone ramblers as there is nothing wrong with them at all. Perhaps living in a National Park where you get to see them non-stop all year round doesn't help.

The best thing is that you get large guided tour walks in which all the ramblers carry Wainwright books and positively seem to revere the guy (nothing wrong with that), yet they seem blissfully unaware that Wainwright hated mass walking groups, he felt that they ruined the fell-tops both for themselves and for others.

Plus they dress blatantly stupidly most of the time.

Sorry to any ramblers on this site but that is my feelings.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

The RAF helicopter pilots need to do a certain amount of flying to keep their hours up. They prefer to do searches for lost walkers than just fly circuits - not that they want people to get lost! I have this on good authority - Sea King pilots who have joined us for Search and Rescues over the years and for Search Dog training in the Cairngorms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Pete View Post
    As for my hatred about ramblers - it was meant semi-lighthearted but can accept this may not have come across. Of course I do not wish anything bad to happen to ramblers but that does not mean I like them.

Perhaps it is not ramblers I dislike but organised ramblers. I have constantly found large groups of them to be discourteous people that seem to think they have the priority to wherever they travel. They do not move aside from paths when having a break or blocking viewpoints, they seem to cause hassle and frankly they have little regard for anyone else.

Plus they seem to believe that anywhere is open for them, I cannot tell you how many I have found in our garden over the years purely because they wanted to either a) see a lakeland house, or, b) see the view form the top of the garden. Perhaps you just get the worse, and I am sure there are plenty of them I never see that are fine, but that does not stop me from having a negative reaction to them, however I do try to be open minded and I do say hello to the small groups and lone ramblers as there is nothing wrong with them at all. Perhaps living in a National Park where you get to see them non-stop all year round doesn't help.

The best thing is that you get large guided tour walks in which all the ramblers carry Wainwright books and positively seem to revere the guy (nothing wrong with that), yet they seem blissfully unaware that Wainwright hated mass walking groups, he felt that they ruined the fell-tops both for themselves and for others.

Plus they dress blatantly stupidly most of the time.

Sorry to any ramblers on this site but that is my feelings.

Pete
    Lighten up Pete, I was only pulling your leg!

I am in total agreement about rambling "crocodiles". I can't stand the Ramblers Association as an organisation. I was involved in an advisory committee on access to Kinder when the National Trust bought the Hayfield side of the Kinder Estate. As the estate warden, I had made an alternative path to a public footpath that went straight through a working farmyard. It was not a replacement, just an alternative when the farmyard was full of stock and the way through difficult - especially for those who were not happy in the presence of livestock. The representative from the Ramblers Association was most put out by my action, asking why such a path should be necessary. He simply had no understanding of the working of a farm.

As for clothing, I wear only muted colours so that I blend in to the landscape, not stand out like a beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    In that case Bob is my idol is my idol.

I have nothing but praise for the Mountain Rescue.
    I've been retired for a number of years now, both the dog and I got too old. Plenty of younger people to do the job.

Lighten up Pete, I was only pulling your leg!

I am in total agreement about rambling "crocodiles". I can't stand the Ramblers Association as an organisation. I was involved in an advisory committee on access to Kinder when the National Trust bought the Hayfield side of the Kinder Estate. As the estate warden, I had made an alternative path to a public footpath that went straight through a working farmyard. It was not a replacement, just an alternative when the farmyard was full of stock and the way through difficult - especially for those who were not happy in the presence of livestock. The representative from the Ramblers Association was most put out by my action, asking why such a path should be necessary. He simply had no understanding of the working of a farm.

As for clothing, I wear only muted colours so that I blend in to the landscape, not stand out like a beacon.
    Good lord (sorry for the religious link there) but its hard to write this stuff isn't it.

I didn't mean to sound upset or angry its just that I cant help but rant over them. It must be a disease or something! Trying to answer yours and adrians posts.

As for not dressing like a nylon con**m - well done

Of course forgot to mention NHS as well

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Default water centres olympic dream sunk

hi been amused by all the messages put up as a family we all go walking, dont mind cycling,me and the brats whopps mean kids do canoeing and kayaking and me and the wife enjoy caravaning but this is all of topic from origanal post olympic dream can not see why it has to be built in london how are most people going to get there as you are trying to get the traffic out of london cant wait to see the bus service pull up to a bus stop with people trying to get a kayak,small canoe slalom boat raft but to name a few just thought i would ask by the way im from teesside
    have fun cragger

Quote Originally Posted by cragger View Post
    how are most people going to get there
    It could be worse - it could have been Paris!

can not see why it has to be built in london
    I can't remember much about the Middlesborough Olympic Bid - was there one?
    Keith

Not surprised by this but as Bob said the Government keeps telling us it is for the whole country's benefit. Plus an awful lot of the 90% ish of the population who dont live in London's taxes are being spent on this London event, to quote the minister: "I can announce today that central Government provision will be 6 billion. This comprises the 1 billion already committed for Olympic regeneration, the funding of the tax bill, broader regeneration, infrastructure within the park, wider security and programme contingency. Without any further increase for London council tax payers beyond that already committed, or any increase in transport fares to fund the Olympics, the Mayor will over the lifetime of the Olympic programme be making a further 300 million available to help meet Olympic costs." http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_..._2012games.htm

Default water centres olympic dream

me again not that i wanted france to get it but probably would have got there easier than london as for the middlesbrough bid dont know im from thornaby but close didn`t answer the question about the transport part though still have fun cragger

What's wrong with having a decent White water venue in the South East of England at last? It's not as if Nottingham is going to be closed down is it?
    Paddlers in almost every other part of the UK have got better options for white water then those in the South East, this will be a great asset to promoting the sport in this area( If of course it ever gets built)

Oh and if Ramblers want something useful to do, maybe they could be employed to bring my canoe back up to the start of the course after I've finished my run.