Thread: Best Ride

Default Best Ride

Enjoyed Quercus' account of Loch Dughaill. Reminded me of a trip down a lake taken by the wife and I, about 20 years ago.

We were out fishing, Wing and I in one canoe, my brother and a good friend, Randy, in another. We were on the west end of a lake that was about six miles long east to west, fishing the shoals off an island. It was a beautiful sunny day.

Very quickly, the sky to the west filled with thunder clouds, and I yelled to my brother that we'd best get back to camp, which was on the east end of the lake. He demurred, as he was having good luck fishing. He and Randy were eventually catapulted onto the shore of the island by the violent wave action. Fortunately, their canoe was not badly damaged.

Wing and I began to paddle for all we were worth. The wind came up and blew a gale and the following waves came up to the point where they were sloshing in as they rolled along the gunnels of the canoe. I looked back once, and we were a mile from the island. I steered close to the south shore, which was mostly cliffs, and we were soon going faster than I've ever gone in a canoe, before or since. The shore line was almost close enough to touch, and the rain started coming down horizontally, wetting our backs in an instant. It was like there was someone behind us with a fire hose.

We ran down the lake, the canoe getting more and more full of water. We could have reached out and touched the cliff with a ten foot pole. I remember Wing looking back at me with a huge smile and I think I was grinning from ear to ear. The situation was very dangerous, but incredibly exhilerating.

Toward the east end of the lake, there was a point that was a high cliff. To the south of the cliff was a sand beach. I ran around the point, which I thought would put us out of reach of the worst of the waves. Just as we turned however, the last of the big waves caught us broadside, and pretty much filled up what little freeboard remained in the canoe. Our momentum was such that we still reached the beach, though we had to get out in thigh deep water, as the canoe was full of water and dug into the sand. We dragged the canoe up on the beach and looked at each other. We both started laughing to the point where we couldn't stand. Best Nantucket sleigh ride I've ever had.

PG, NE Minnesota

Sounds like a real adventure.
    John

Now that is what I would call an epic!

Q

Wow...did you stop and take any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Wow...did you stop and take any pictures?

Are you kidding?
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    Are you kidding?
    Yeh...I was actually