Thread: Names or user names??

Default Names or user names??

At the last SoP meet on Loch Lomond MagicKelly/John was heard to say....
    'I never know/can't decide whether to use people's real name or their user name'

I think he ended up using both, but mainly real names.

What do other folk reckon?

Personally I prefer user names, on the assumption that if someone has opted to use a different name for SoP then they are comfortable with that in the context of SoP. It also adds flavour to the mix and underlines that you are on a SoP meet.

I think it is a bit of a shame when folk just use a normal name, but of course totally repect their right to do that.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I like the idea of user names for this sort of thing,it creates an identity other people can relate to,and there is nothing funnier than finding out the image you created in your head is less than accurate.

Journal Entries

Tenboats you're right as usual.

I introduced myself to everyone with my real name and then thought maybe I shouldn't have . Next time I'll stick to Silvergirl, untill someone asks me to explain it.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

I've been called Doc for 20 years by various folk, so I'm quite happy with it.

In my TA days, everyone had a nickname, and the origins of these were lost in the mists of time (odd names too; things like 'Snowball' 'Maori' 'Goose' and 'Fruitcake Seven'.) It seemed very natural - I guess it is one of these group defining things.

Talking of which, i was telling someone at work about the excellent weekend at Inchcailloch, and got the response: 'Oh, that sounds like areally good club you're in.'

So now we're a club then?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl

I introduced myself to everyone with my real name and then thought maybe I shouldn't have . Next time I'll stick to Silvergirl, untill someone asks me to explain it.
    If it is any consolation I forgot your real name within seconds: you were always Sivergirl to me.

'Tenboats' is kind of self explanatory, though not strictly accurate. It was given to me by fellow paddlers when I only had half a dozen, and was more formally Tenboats Tony or Tenboats Tone, or variations thereof. Like any name, it got shortened. Is there a term for a nick name that gets made into a nick name, other than confusing?

When I climbed alot I was known as Top Cat, from my initials TC, which again wasn't accurate as my initials are APC (!). Maybe we shouldn't go there!

Quote Originally Posted by laird of john o groats
    I like the idea of user names for this sort of thing,it creates an identity other people can relate to,and there is nothing funnier than finding out the image you created in your head is less than accurate.

Laird of John o Groats?????????????/ No way, that's too much of a mouth full. We'll just call you Lardy or Groats.

Journal Entries

I would probably have called everyone by their username but Nicky has not registered so I had to call her by her real name or Mrs Tenboats and that didn't sound right so it that set off my confusion.

I know you refer to her as Tenboat's Banker but there is too much chance of an unfortunate slip of the tongue with that one

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    I would probably have called everyone by their username but Nicky has not registered so I had to call her by her real name or Mrs Tenboats and that didn't sound right so it that set off my confusion.

I know you refer to her as Tenboat's Banker but there is too much chance of an unfortunate slip of the tongue with that one
    Good plan, always blame the wife, even somebody else's wife

I shall suggest that she toes the line asap. I wonder what user name she will pick.

mmmmmmmmm we could run another competition............

Exclamation Names

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1
    Good plan, always blame the wife, even somebody else's wife

I shall suggest that she toes the line asap. I wonder what user name she will pick.

mmmmmmmmm we could run another competition............
    You guys are getting into deeper water now .

Yours Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''