Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fitting Out an Apache Canoe

Thats a nice looking boat Stu. If you ever get around to building one properly with dark wood let me know

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Pete View Post
    Thats a nice looking boat Stu. If you ever get around to building one properly with dark wood let me know

Pete
    Is darkwood more aerodynamic then Pete, and therefore faster?

I dont think so.

I wish I had Stu's experience - all my experiments are a potential waste of materials.
    It all started with a folding boat I built at school...

I wish I had Stu's experience - all my experiments are a potential waste of materials.[/quote]

its not a waste of materials its practice ,

I still cock things up from time to time , you just try not to make the same mistake again , my favorite is laying up a complete hull then wondering if i remembered to put catalyst in the resin

Default Me Canoe

Thats right - its me canoe time!

I am sure by now that my story has eked out in bits and pieces so theres not much to add.

This is the process in photo format.

Canoe arrives and rough laying out of parts:

Then I measure the hull down the centre line (14ft 10 and a half inches):

Find and mark the centre point and then fit a temp thwart at 33 inches to ensure correct width. It is glued in place but constantly falls off so is glued about 8 times a day!!!:

Now comes the fitting of the gunwales:

Now I think everyone knows the problems I had with this. Firstly the SS screws were pure pap. Even with multiple drill bit changes and even incremental drilling it still left me with either stripped screw heads or even worse with broken heads

Then came the biggest problem, I could not bring the gunwales up to meet the top of the hull at the bow and stern without it twisting horribly. I managed to get it to 4.5 cms and left it at that. I still get a good upturn on the hull but not as much as everyone else.

The last problem was the deckplates. My initial thought was fit gunwalwes first and then fit deckplates, however this was very hard. In fact it led to them dropping at the back whilst fitting the gunwales through it where the outer gunwales screws directly into the deckplate. I learnt form the first and with the tip from Stu I pre-fixed the second deckplate before fitting the gunwale. This made it a lot better

But after a few days and much swearing they were done, although this shot is taken half way through:

Well that was the hard part really. The next step was the seats, thwart and carry handles. The carry handles were simple. They were fitted 6 inches back from the back of the deckplate.

The thwart was fitted in the front to replace the traditional from seat, and it is located 4 foot front he front of the canoe.

Next was the yoke. I had intended to fit it 6 inches back form the centre but my careless excitement in the last stages made me measure and mark from the wrong point. Hence it is now fitted 1 foot from the centre. This I have now found is completely wrong and I cannot use it, hence it needs to be moved. I have decided to go for a removable yoke and so will fit it dead centre. I will use the holes for the yoke to fit a second thwart.

The seat came last as I knew it would be a pain, and it was!!

The hangers are far too long for the hull in the centre, I have ended up cutting the bolts down by 4 inches, and even then they are a really hard fit. I decided to cut the seat hangers so that I discarded the arch part of the hanger and use the curved end pieces to make it look as the though the gunwales is part of the hanger. I reckon it works OK. The seat is located 1 foot back form the centre point and it is IDEAL!! But of course that is personal to me.

Here it is in all its glory, well nearly the seat bolts need tightening and it to be cleaned out:

The gunwales have been treated with a oak colour Danish Oil. This was to ensure a dark colour to match the dark walnut fittings.

I gave the gunwales two coats before fitting, then after sanding and drilling it for the fitting of seats etc... I have given it a further two coats.

I will end up giving certainly one more coat if not two, of Danish Oil to finish it. Here is me at work:

Other than the yoke the other let down is the joins between the inner gunwales and the deckplates. One is not too bad but the other has some gaps. I have found a hardwood filler pre-coloured to dark walnut, that is designed for exterior use and so I will use this to fill the gaps and I think that will finish it off.

I am very happy with the canoe, and here it is on Windermere:

Thanks again Stu for the hull. I had fun building it and learnt a lot, and will look forward to another project.

my top tips:
    • Measure five times and cut quickly
    • Have a lot, a lot, of clamps to hand
    • Make a nice warm space as it helps
    • Relax, it will work out eventually
    Cheers,

Pete

P.S. See this blogg for my first solo trip: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=8410
    Lakeland Pete

Mate I am really impressed. It looks great well done
    Leone_blanco

Default LP's Apache Build

That a great discriptive blog with enough, though not too many photos. Though the one of you working_ looks like you're gonna kill someone.

Nice build - I look forward to seeing it for really!

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

A fine "How to build an Apache Photographic work instruction" also love the danish oil shot well done
    Regards Retro

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Blimey, you must have the patience of a saint (as my old grandma used to say). I'd have given up on it by picture two I think, which would have been a real shame, and a perfect example of why I didn't fancy building one.

Good work tho' - I've said it before, but fair play to anyone who can build their own. (Hmm, I wonder if I could solder a boat together ?)

Oh and I know Regbella can knock one of these out in 2.5 hrs or so but it took me about 5 days all said, not quite the 8hrs you thought eh stu

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Hey Monkey Pork

Do you want to buy a completed one then?

I'm about to start building one of these

So probably won't have a great deal of need for both, besides which I could probably do with the space. It might be better to sell the Apache now while she is all sparkly new, rather than in a years time when she looks like all my other canoes!

Don't get me wrong I'm in no panic to sell the Apache as I think it's a great boat and I thoughly enjoyed paddling her the other day, but if someone makes me a sensible offer, I may be tempted to let her go. If I regretted that later it would be a great excuse to build another (I quite fancy the idea of a black one with ash trim!).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hadley View Post
    (I quite fancy the idea of a black one with ash trim!).
    OOH SNAP!!

I reckon that would be sweet.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Well good to see the fleet is growing seems ages since i fitted mine out. i got a yellow one by the way mainly for speed. Thought i'd post the pic again try to break all the ivory up

Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

I can lend you some white paint if that helps

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hadley View Post
    (I quite fancy the idea of a black one with ash trim!).
    Would look like a pint of guinness
    It all started with a folding boat I built at school...

[quote=Lakeland Pete;85743]I can lend you some white paint if that helps

and why would i go do a sillything like that?? i'm a non conformist and don't bow to conventional canoe colours
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Are there any photos of a black one with ash trim? Would be interesting to see...

Really enjoyed reading this thread about all of your boats, Also like the look of them More so than there plastic counterparts, By the look of it most of you seem to be fitting out for solo paddling, would (in your own opinions) they be up to tandem use?, for use on mainly flat water Canals, lochs etc, Thanks for replys in advance Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by out n about View Post
    Really enjoyed reading this thread about all of your boats, Also like the look of them More so than there plastic counterparts, By the look of it most of you seem to be fitting out for solo paddling, would (in your own opinions) they be up to tandem use?, for use on mainly flat water Canals, lochs etc, Thanks for replys in advance Andy.
    It depends 2 small to medium size paddlers maybe. I had a guest in my apache and it took a lot of getting used to. In fact, I couldn't get used to it and kicked him out of the boat. It felt very unstable but we were both large chaps. Its ok to take a litlun out though as long as they don't fidget too much.

For solo though, this boat is fantastic.

DanDan

Default pine trim

black with pine trim is that close enough?fantastic builds.
    If a hammer wont fix it it must be an electrical problem

lord john, nice to see some more pine being used, I am a huge fan, all my boat is pine, inwales, gunwales, yolk, kneeling thwart, seats (complete with tractor innertube "canvas") It works fine, and I don't mind if it gets munted, as the builders merchants have plenty more!! (and being a builder I get it on account!!!

She might be tatty, she ain't an apache, but I love her!

oh, and she's lighter too!!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I bought 10 new drill bits in anticipation of breaking more but found that I had no problem if i kept clearing the drill as soon as I cleared the GRP section. It actually got easier as the drill blunted a bit with wear - just as you predicted it would.

I have now made quite a bit of progress. The gunwales, thwarts, yoke and seat are all fitted. All went smoothly but for the seat. The seat hangers from Edscanoe make the seat too low so I fitted brackets to the bottom of the hangers and the seat to the brackets.

If I want to raise it I can fit spacers between the bracket and the seat (the off-cuts from the seat will do). The curvature of the hull makes it a bit tricky because if you move something just a small amount in one plane the other two dimensions also change so its a case of measure several times and then trim slightly to fit. I also had to cut some length off the hanger bolts to avoid the bottom end of the bolt coming into contact with the hull and potentially damaging the GRP with use.

I am now fitting the dozens of plugs to mask the screws on the gunwales and collecting and sawdust as I rub it down to mix with some epoxy glue to fill "one or two areas where the working tolerances are a little excessive".

Oh, by the way, the positioning of the yoke 6" forward of the centre causes no problems as long as the "open neck slot" (hope you know what I mean) faces the back. Because in practice the weight is borne partially by the shoulders and partly by the hands the balance is neutral.

How is everyone else doing - any photos?

Hi Keith - I'm hoping to start my apache build in the next few weeks and I really like the way you have wrapped the gunwales around the stern and bow - as a novice I suspect the extra protection for the hull will be very handy. Can you describe how you went about this?

Thanks

Peter

There was nothing scientific about it. I fitted the gunwales in place and sawed the gunwales off at a suitable length. This leaves a small triangular gap which I filled with a mixture of Araldite Rapid and sawdust. I then rounded the ends with a power sander.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    There was nothing scientific about it. I fitted the gunwales in place and sawed the gunwales off at a suitable length. This leaves a small triangular gap which I filled with a mixture of Araldite Rapid and sawdust. I then rounded the ends with a power sander.
    Thanks Keith, it was the little triangular piece I was curious about.

Quote Originally Posted by rush2011 View Post
    if ur looking for cheap tools from top brands visit a new website www.besttool.co.uk every product on there seems to be half the normal price or less
    Looks to me as if all the products are refurbished,the prices are also in dollars ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234