Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Apache Canoe

Congratulations
    Very interested to see how you get on with the build.
    When do you get it?
    Did you go for the best colour - Ivory? or one of the slower ones?

Went with quick Ivory

There's normally a 3 week lead time but Stu said he'd try an get it to me quicker.

Default Apache Tribe

My dad and I went for the spontaneous decision to buy a canoe. After looking online at second hand plastic boats, I became concerned about the weight as I'm not very big or strong and wanted to take it out by myself. I stumbled across SOTP forums that recommended Apache. After looking into it, it didn't take much persuasion until my dad was on board! I talked to Stu on the phone for about half an hour before confidently ordering the Tribe. Three weeks later we were on our way to collect!

We we are absolutely thrilled. It looks stunning. After playing around making buoyancy aids and (after a deep breath) drilling holes for the painters, we were off. We were surprised how stable it was with three of us in and how smoothly it glided through the water. I had a little play to see how it was to paddle solo and loved it! It feels a little more unstable on its edge but I did rock it and it always bounced back, so at no point did I feel on the verge of getting a dunking. I found it easy to control and manoeuvre, despite it being about 7 years since I've paddled!

The next day we had three adults in the boat and the water level was still absolutely fine.

We are definitely glad we went for the scuppered gunwales and the bendy seats are very comfortable but I can't say whether they make a difference or not, but it wasn't a big price difference anyway.

We are very, very happy with our Tribe.

Lots of photos now.

Claire.

Stu sent me photos of the build process.

Picking it up.

Getting ready to fit the painters and buoyancy.

Drilling into a brand new boat is scary!

Ready for our first outing!

With three adults the Tribe is still at a very comfortable level in the water.

Looks like a couple of very happy new owners.....the canoe looks great, hope you have plenty of fun paddling it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good choice, Claire! Very few are ever disapointed with an Apache.
    Keith

Hello and Welcome Claire. Very nice canoe, congratulations!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Claire, your Tribe looks fantastic....and you have helped me in my decision to get one.
    Same as you, ive not paddled for quite a few years, so looking forward to getting back on the water.

Happy paddling.

Stunning looking boat Claire and great to see another order being placed too!

Well it's happened again. Just ordered another Apache 16' from Stu, a brief visit to discuss particulars of the build and... Colour.... Now to wait... The thing with Apache is that I know exactly what I'm getting, I know the builder and he knows me and how I paddle. Despite all this he lets me have a boat! Can't find fault with anything Stu does, a proper good bloke and a damned decent canoe at a bargain price.
    Leone_blanco

Living in Cambridgeshire and paddling the Gt Ouse and Nene.

I owned a 15 ft Apache for several years. The lowish freeboard had no disadvantages at all and an advantage of less wind resistance from side winds. I sold mine due to its weight. I replaced it with a kevlar Wenonah Argosy. The Apache is a lovely canoe.
    Noah
    ....not for the feint hearted.

Does anybody have any experience of the 21ft Marathon Canoe?

Not to paddle I'm afraid but Stu has one hung in his workshop, give him a call he's extremely amiable and will surely help
    Leone_blanco

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
    Does anybody have any experience of the 21ft Marathon Canoe?
    I think there's only approximately one of these in existence so it's unlikely there'll be a flood of replies. I have an Apache 17 for the purposes of the Cheshire Ring and I enjoy paddling that. Bit wobblier than the average prospector, though. I'm sure if you do get one it will be fast and well made. Keep us posted, I'd love to have a go in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Jester View Post
    I think there's only approximately one of these in existence so it's unlikely there'll be a flood of replies. I have an Apache 17 for the purposes of the Cheshire Ring and I enjoy paddling that. Bit wobblier than the average prospector, though. I'm sure if you do get one it will be fast and well made. Keep us posted, I'd love to have a go in one.
    Thanks Castle Jester. Saw one start ahead of me at the DW at the weekend and hoped to find out a bit more. How different is the Apache 17 to the Tribe?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
    Thanks Castle Jester. Saw one start ahead of me at the DW at the weekend and hoped to find out a bit more. How different is the Apache 17 to the Tribe?
    That's interesting, I wonder who it was.
    Apart from the obvious things like the 17 being a 1 person boat and being red for extra speed the best analogy I can think of is a shopping trolley and a racing bicycle. Shopping trolleys are a lot of fun, you can fit 2 people in them without capsizing and there's room for a lot of stuff. Racing bicycles take one person and negligible luggage and you need to train hard to first of all keep it upright and then to use it to it's potential.

Thats not to say that I think the Tribe is like a shopping trolley, it's not, as its a thing of beauty and I love mine!

I think it was Roger McClure and Ken bowland from the entry list. Sorry I was getting confused about your boat thinking it was the 16 rather than the marathon 17. Did you say you've got a tribe as well?

17. Default

Hi I've had a very helpful chat with Stu about the specs and that leaves largely just the choice of colours to be made. I'd been very attracted at first by the wooden gunwales giving them a quite stunning look, but was given the choice of vinyl. I'm thinking that this is going to be a better low maintenance option?

cheers

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichMatt View Post
    Hi I've had a very helpful chat with Stu about the specs and that leaves largely just the choice of colours to be made. I'd been very attracted at first by the wooden gunwales giving them a quite stunning look, but was given the choice of vinyl. I'm thinking that this is going to be a better low maintenance option?

cheers

Richard
    The vinyl gunwales are certainly lower maintenance, but really don't set the boat off like the wood does, which, to be honest, isn't that much of a pain to look after.The only instance I'd consider the vinyl would be where I was storing the boat outside, in which case the wood is going to be discolour and be subject to damp ingress to a much greater degree.

Adrian

TBH I don't do any maintenance but I guess using it in salt water most of the time helps and I don't mind the lived in look but a quick rub down and re oil each year isn't to onerous

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

20. Default

Thanks for the advice. Just got to finalise the colour choice.....

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichMatt View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Just got to finalise the colour choice.....

Richard
    Ivory is the best colour to not show up the scratches.

Mine is the 16' in gloss black, which looks like an upturned zebra due to the white scratches, it only really shows when on the car though, I think of them more like battle scars
    Leone_blanco

Does anyone on here own the latest version of the Apache 15', and more to the point, does anyone who lives in or near Somerset own one ?????????
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

There are quite a number of 2015 apache 15's on here - including me. Its a lovely boat to paddle solo, really responsive, tracks well enough, good glide and at 30kg not too heavy either. Initial stability is fine, secondary stability is good. I have used mine on flat and open water and grade 2 rivers (occasionally grade 3 as well). I was playing quite happily on the waves at Matlock slalom course in it this weekend.
    Load-wise it copes with me (6', 105kg) and my dog (another 40kg) plus day kit, or me and camping kit with no bother. I was less comfortable with it as a tandem, but the load was around 190-200kg. Others have commented that with lighter crews it is fine.
    The construction is very tough. I thought it might suffer a bit from rocky rivers, but it has survived some heavy bashes with nothing more than superficial scratches on the gel coat.
    Unfortunately I'm in South Yorkshire, but if you're ever up this way you're welcome to have a test paddle...

Thanks for that Gordon.
    Have you had it out on a windy day on flat water ?
    Don't suppose you have any pretty pictures of it do you ?
    Thanks for the offer of a paddle, but I suppose it would make more sense to go to Stu for me.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Think mine is2013/14 Paul....great boat though....

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Think mine is2013/14 Paul....great boat though....
    I thought yours was a Tribe ????

P.S. I found another source of ash in Taunton today if you ever need any more.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 12th-December-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I thought yours was a Tribe ????

P.S. I found another source of ash in Taunton today if you ever need any more.
    Yes it is a tribe and I am numpty!!

I have a bit of Ash from last time I went to Yandles at Martock...but would be interested in who sells it in Taunton?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Yes it is a tribe and I am numpty!!

I have a bit of Ash from last time I went to Yandles at Martock...but would be interested in who sells it in Taunton?

Dave

It's these people Dave http://www.tauntontimber.co.uk/hardwoods/

I didn't buy any because the lengths he had were far too long for what I required, thereby making it expensive.
    I don't know why it hasn't come up in my previous searches.
    I also found this place, http://www.somersettimber.co.uk/ but I don't know what they stock.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Thanks for that Gordon.
    Thanks for the offer of a paddle, but I suppose it would make more sense to go to Stu for me.
    In answer to your questions, I was on this loch in my '15 when the wind picked up to a solid F5.

Still very manageable with the camping gear holding the nose down. For day trips I take a water container to add a bit of ballast if I think I might need it. Simple to ditch if the wind is light (saving enough for a brew of course.)

Stu is local to me and he knows I'll happily oblige with a demo paddle if you come up this way, just let me know to save him asking around. He can never hang on to demo boats long enough!
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Thankyou for the info and the test paddle offer MM, although it's unlikely I'll travel 4 hours up the motorway for a test paddle.
    I have done stranger things though
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I know someone who is thinking of selling their Apache 14 near bude it's the Jackson pollack design if your nearer to his way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Gordon.
    Yes, had it out in force 3-4 on my local reservoir. Lightly loaded crosswind the bow did skate a little, but kneeling forward and edging downwind went a long way to control it. A bit of weight in the bows improves matters, as you would expect.
    Remembering from my discussions with Stu when I ordered it, he makes them with quite a high freeboard for river work. He took an inch or so off mine to reduce the windage as I do a lot of open water paddling, so if that would suit your needs, have a chat with him. He was more than happy to fine tune the boat to my needs.
    I'm sure I will have some pictures of it - I'll see what I can find on the computer at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon G View Post
    Yes, had it out in force 3-4 on my local reservoir. Lightly loaded crosswind the bow did skate a little, but kneeling forward and edging downwind went a long way to control it. A bit of weight in the bows improves matters, as you would expect.
    Remembering from my discussions with Stu when I ordered it, he makes them with quite a high freeboard for river work. He took an inch or so off mine to reduce the windage as I do a lot of open water paddling, so if that would suit your needs, have a chat with him. He was more than happy to fine tune the boat to my needs.
    I'm sure I will have some pictures of it - I'll see what I can find on the computer at home.
    Smashing, thanks for that Gordon
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by Ripvanwinkle View Post
    I know someone who is thinking of selling their Apache 14 near bude it's the Jackson pollack design if your nearer to his way

Many thanks for the heads up, but I have no interest in anything other than the latest 15'.
    Not even sure about that yet either - depends on what I find out, hence this thread.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hi Old Man,

I have the latest 15' and think its a cracking boat. I mainly use it solo but have found it fine for tandem also - mine is the full depth, unlike Gordon's, which may help with this and in white water, but means a more windage on open water especially when solo with little kit. If you find yourself in North East Scotland give me a shout as I'd be more than happy to let you borrow mine for a paddle!

Best regards,

Duncan

If you find yourself in North East Scotland give me a shout as I'd be more than happy to let you borrow mine for a paddle!

Thankyou Sir, you're a gentleman
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

38. Default

Is Apache still going? Their web site doesn't appear to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Broomstickize View Post
    Is Apache still going? Their web site doesn't appear to be active.

Still going but having website problems.Give Stu a ring on 07809880993

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

that is handy - I need new gunwales for mine

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567