Thread: BWCA - Getting Ready

Journal Entries

Default BWCA - Getting Ready

I decided yesterday it has been far too long since I've been in the boundry waters canoe area. Since I haven't been on a canoe trip since last October, my gear was scattered. I found my life jacket in the sauna, my kettles in a cupboard in the bunkhouse, and the detachable yoke for the solo canoe hanging on the ladder rack in the garage. How in the world do these things end up so far apart?

The solo canoe, a Bell Magic, is so narrow, I can't use one of my larger packs. The canoe also paddles much better with two packs, one in the bow and one in the stern. I'd decided, some time ago, to buy one of the front portage packs made by Duluth Pack. I'd planned to go down this morning and buy one. When it came time to set out, I just couldn't do it. I decided rather than spend $120, for the pack, straps, buckles and hooks, I'd just have to make one (click on the photo of the man carrying to get an idea of how this works:

http://www.duluthpack.com/product_de...Portage%20Pack

I have a brand new army pack (not US army) slightly larger than the Duluth pack. I paid a dollar for two of them at a rummage sale, then wondered why I'd bothered. It had some hooks and "D" rings which worked perfectly for what I needed, and in an hour and 15 minutes I had a front portage pack hooked up to one of my #3 Duluth packs, and my new front portage pack even has straps that worked very well for strapping down my hand axe plus a couple of side pockets which worked well for a water bottle and water filter.

For food, I have two five gallon tins full of dried food leftovers from other canoe trips. This took care of all my food needs.

I'm at work now, it is 0010, and I'm off at 0300. Then I'll be setting out for the BWCA, arriving at the trail head before dawn. I'm going into a series of lakes named by members of my family about 1900 and should be ending up on "Jack" Lake (named for my grandfather) tomorrow night. It will just be two or three days, but anticipation is building.

Here is a map link to show you where I am going. If you follwow the links, you go from Baker Lake (my g-g-g-grandmother, into Peterson Lake (my grandmother's uncle) to Kelly Lake (family friend) you will come to Jack Lake (my grandfather). If you follow the links east from Kelly Lake to Burnt Lake and Smoke Lake , you come to Sawbill Lake and Kelso Lake, where my great aunt spent many decades as a smoke watcher:

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/lakes/lakes10/baker.html
    Last edited by pierre girard; 27th-April-2006 at 05:38 AM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

Have fun and take plenty pictures. Wish I was close enough to join you.

Have you seen how many rivers and lakes there are in the BWCA? I am soooo jealous. There's only one decent lake in Kent, and I'm not aloud to paddle on it. There is no justice. You've got loads to spare, can I have one of them?
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Have you seen how many rivers and lakes there are in the BWCA? I am soooo jealous. There's only one decent lake in Kent, and I'm not aloud to paddle on it. There is no justice. You've got loads to spare, can I have one of them?
    Glad to share. You may paddle as many as you like - anytime you care to come.

You are right about the lakes. Seems like more lakes than land in some spots.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water